Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Hi everyone,
    I'm about to purchase a Pre tomorrow morning at Best Buy and was wondering if I should get the insurance/protection plan with it (from BB or Sprint) since it seems like there are some hardware issues with the Pre (Oreo effect and cracked screens, etc) or have these issues been resolved by Palm?
    How many of you guys got a protection plan with your Pre? Is it worth it? I take care of my stuff pretty well, just more worried about the hardware issues if there are any.
    I got the Bestbuy plan so I don't have to pay $100 deductible to get the phone replaced. I am now thinking about going through my personal insurance company (State Farm) and dropping BestBuy. I am currently paying Bestbuy $9.99each for the 3 phones in my family. I was quoted around $9.00 a month total for all three from State Farm and I still won't have a deductable... Even if I loose it. I am looking through the fine print and it looks like good coverage... Just another option
    BUT
    I have had no problems with the Pre falling apart yet
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i always get the Sprint insurance. it's 7.00 a month and will cover you even if you lose your phone or drop it in the toilet and fry it. for those types of damages you do have a deductible, but it's better than paying for a full priced new phone IMO

EDIT: for mechanical failures, there is no deductible.
    short and sweet - YES
    This has been discussed a lot in other threads, but I'll add my $0.02 anyway.

1. Do NOT buy the BestBuy warranty. In fact, do not buy a BestBuy warranty on ANY product.

2. Do NOT buy any form of "extended" warranty from ANY retailer, on any product, EVER. The only thing retailers make a larger profit margin on than retail warranties, is retail credit cards. Sears and Wal*Mart aren't even retailers anymore. They are "creditors with stuff out front."

3. Sprint's TEP is 'ok' for what it is (and I have it because I've been too lazy to do it right) but it's only 'ok.' Just about everyone in the country has some form of private insurance, and I'd be willing to bet that every single adult who owns a palm pre has some sort material of insurance, be it renter's, home owner's or simply car insurance. Going to your insurance agent and having them add a rider to your insurance policy to cover your smart phone might only add $10-$30 per YEAR, and give you better coverage. Compare that to $84/year +$100 deductible for TEP, and it's pretty clear which one is the better deal.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Thanks VeeDub (and to everyone else),
    I'm actually a grad student so i really dont have any insurance hahahaha. ACtually, I never buy retail or extended warranty so I don't even know why I started this thread hahahaha. I guess since it's a big purchase for me I just wanted to make sure and be safe and to see if it was worth it. I'll probably wont end up getting it which means I'll just have to baby the phone. Thanks again for everyones opinion
    these phones are so cheap to buy. if it fails just buy another one its cheaper than getting insurance.
    I have the insurance through Sprint. I have not had to use it on the Pre yet, but when I had the Samsung Instinct I had a batch of bad phone and used it 5 times. Finally Sprint shipped me a new upgraded model phone. So the insurance is well worth it IMO, if you have a higher end phone like the Pre or an HTC or the likes.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post

3. Sprint's TEP is 'ok' for what it is (and I have it because I've been too lazy to do it right) but it's only 'ok.' Just about everyone in the country has some form of private insurance, and I'd be willing to bet that every single adult who owns a palm pre has some sort material of insurance, be it renter's, home owner's or simply car insurance. Going to your insurance agent and having them add a rider to your insurance policy to cover your smart phone might only add $10-$30 per YEAR, and give you better coverage. Compare that to $84/year +$100 deductible for TEP, and it's pretty clear which one is the better deal.
    If you're responsible with your phone, the TEP will be fine. The deductable you're referring to is only if the damage is your fault. I've gotten my Pre replaced four times already with NO hassle what so ever. Whether that's due to TEP or the manufactures warrenty I'm not sure but IMO, just spend $7 a month on REP and BE CAREFUL!

The Pre retails for over $500, treat it like something that expensive.
    Last edited by Tcub; 11/28/2009 at 11:22 AM.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    when i got my first smart phone the treo 650 p i had for about a year when the screen broke and tep replaced it with a treo700 w ouch thats hurts saying that . well i had to replace that one three times before i told them i wanted my treo with palm os back well they just gave me the 755p and i never paid for an upgrade for like three years or so lol gotta love tep here!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    when i got my first smart phone the treo 650 p i had for about a year when the screen broke and tep replaced it with a treo700 w ouch thats hurts saying that . well i had to replace that one three times before i told them i wanted my treo with palm os back well they just gave me the 755p and i never paid for an upgrade for like three years or so lol gotta love tep here!
    Right. Its totally worth it. If Apple/ AT&T were this nice I'd still have an iPhone...
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    What is IMO? i see a lot of people put it in messages and i can not for the life of me figure it out
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    What is IMO? i see a lot of people put it in messages and i can not for the life of me figure it out
    "In my opinion"
    This has been discussed a lot in other threads, but I'll add my $0.02 anyway.

1. Do NOT buy the BestBuy warranty. In fact, do not buy a BestBuy warranty on ANY product.

2. Do NOT buy any form of "extended" warranty from ANY retailer, on any product, EVER. The only thing retailers make a larger profit margin on than retail warranties, is retail credit cards. Sears and Wal*Mart aren't even retailers anymore. They are "creditors with stuff out front."

I guess you failed to account for the scenario where someone actually uses the warranty.

I get a lot of my electronics through best buy and couldn't be happier with their warranty programs.

So far I've gotten:

A brand new PSP no questions asked when I told them my volume didn't work anymore, and because at the time the PSP had dropped its price by 80$ they gave me a new PSP and an 80$ best buy gift card.

I had the warranty on my lap top when I spilled water on it making it completely unresponsive. I bring it in there thinking I'm screwed and instead they were like alright you have $2,000 towards any lap top in the store no questions asked.

I've also gotten battery replacements for my lap tops no questions asked.

And towards the end of my warranty for this lap top I plan on dumping some water on it and getting another one for free.

Quite frankly I think their all inclusive warranty packages are some of the best values you can get just as long as you pay attention to when they expire and use them when needed.

But in terms of phone warranties through best buy I can't really comment.

I got my Pre from sprint with the TEP and they replaced mine with a refurbished Pre no questions asked when the touch screen stopped working, so I was pretty happy with that, though not so happy with my Palm Pre anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    The Pre retails for over $500, treat it like something that expensive.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by kuruptlon View Post
    I guess you failed to account for the scenario where someone actually uses the warranty.
    On the contrary. You'll notice that I have the TEP. What I'm saying, is that retail warranties are the least cost effective way to protect your expensive items, and according to most consumer surveys, they're also the least reliable.
    I purchased my Palm Pre two weeks ago and I declined the insurance. IMO i'd rather stick with Sprint and only pay $7 a month (even though they have the deductible IF I happen to damage my phone) because from my experience they have ALWAYS replaced ANY of my phones with no hesitation.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    i bought squaretrade insurance
    ...and according to most consumer surveys, they're also the least reliable.
    I'll back that up. Neither of my aunts listened to me when I told them to insure purchases instead of getting retail warranties and both of them only got half the coverage they expected when things went bad. Get Sprint TEP for the $7 or add a rider to your renter's insurance.

Also... I'm a grad student too. You do know renter's insurance costs like $10 or less per month for the measly amount we have to insure, yeah? Even grad students can afford that.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Over a two year contract, the Sprint insurance adds up to about $180. Including the $100 deductible (which may or may not apply) that totals $280.

They retail for more, but I'd be willing to bet I could find a new Pre on Craigslist or eBay for $300, possibly less depending on how long it's been on the market.

So it comes down to a guaranteed $180, which could go up to $280 if something actually happens to my phone. Compare that to around $300, possibly less, for a new phone. Now I've always been careful with my phones, and have never once broken, lost, or otherwise needed a replacement. Of course that isn't guaranteed to continue, but the guaranteed money for insurance just doesn't save me enough if something were to happen.