Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Recently, my Pre turns on by itself (from standby). Sometimes, I push the power button and it comes right back on. If the screen is off, a tap or two will turn it on. If it's sitting on its own, it'll randomly turn on.

I've removed all patches and made sure that 3rd party apps that have timers (like FriendsFlow and Feeds) have their timers off. Still happens.

Any ideas? An OS upgrade issue? Hardware?
    Pre is possessed?
    Maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Recently, my Pre turns on by itself (from standby). Sometimes, I push the power button and it comes right back on. If the screen is off, a tap or two will turn it on. If it's sitting on its own, it'll randomly turn on.

I've removed all patches and made sure that 3rd party apps that have timers (like FriendsFlow and Feeds) have their timers off. Still happens.

Any ideas? An OS upgrade issue? Hardware?
    I had this problem I fixed it by changing evdo settings then changing them back (##3836# in phone app then select evdo) but if it's flashed to a different network ie metro cricket etc. then change it it 1xrtt
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    I had this problem I fixed it by changing evdo settings then changing them back (##3836# in phone app then select evdo) but if it's flashed to a different network ie metro cricket etc. then change it it 1xrtt
    No luck. Changed from current Hbrid Rev A setting to EVDO. Still turns itself back on when I push the power button.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    mine is doing this too
    i had a problem with a bad battery turning phone off and on by its self but not sure if this is your problem you could try using the webos repair utility (not web doctor) it will find problems on the phone and fix them and it easy and you wont lose your personal info .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    My phone recently started turning on by itself, too. I noticed for mine, it seems to happen when the phone is gently squeezed, like when pulling it from the leather carrying case.
    I contacted Sprint and they said I should bring the phone in. The hard part is I can't consistently get the problem to occur. I have not brought the phone in yet for this reason.

I don't recall the phone doing this before, and the only thing I've changed is the back of the Pre for the touchstone charger.
    my wifes pre is doing this. Just noticed it a couple days ago. It's driving us nuts trying to figure out how to stop it.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    After a great deal of experimentation and reading the post from "Jon no h," I think I figured it out.

Last week, I opened the back of my Pre to clean out the dust (there was a good deal in there). In doing so, I removed the battery.

Despite never having had problems (I got my Pre the week it was released and don't have the "pad" they added to later versions) with the battery seating correctly, it appears that my removing and reinserting the battery disturbed the delicate balance.

While I can't say when a bad battery connection would give the effect I experienced (I wasn't having any other problems), another battery removal and reinsertion seems to have fixed the problem.

So, if you're having this, try the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Pre is possessed?
    Maybe?

how do you get away with making posts like this, when i do i get bashed. i think there funny and add a little uplightingness to the forum, as they seem to be true in most cases
    I reset my battery as per squeff's suggestion, and it worked for about a day. Then from last night, it started turning on by itself again.

Just out of curiousity, does everyone this is happening to have the Touchstone back cover?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon no h View Post
    I reset my battery as per squeff's suggestion, and it worked for about a day. Then from last night, it started turning on by itself again.

Just out of curiousity, does everyone this is happening to have the Touchstone back cover?
    You didn't solve the problem in that your battery is likely slipping again.

I have a Touchstone back cover and, since I cleaned everything out and made sure that I had the battery back in and tight, no more problems. At least, not related to this.
    Reset the battery again. No luck.
    My issue is slightly different than the OP's. Mine only turns on when I pull it from the case. If I just leave the phone on the desk, it stays off.

Unfortunately it doesn't happen consistently when pulling out of the case, making difficult to fix.

I did try updating the network settings, thinking the phone may be trying to connect to something, but again no luck.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon no h View Post
    Reset the battery again. No luck.
    My issue is slightly different than the OP's. Mine only turns on when I pull it from the case. If I just leave the phone on the desk, it stays off.

Unfortunately it doesn't happen consistently when pulling out of the case, making difficult to fix.

I did try updating the network settings, thinking the phone may be trying to connect to something, but again no luck.
    I've long had this and thought it was a feature, where it detects being removed from a dark place (like a case or a pocket) and turns on for you. I used to use a Blackberry and this is what it did when you removed it from the holster or case (it did this via a magnet in the case, not a sensor since it wasn't a touch screen device).

However, this "feature" seems to come and go with different OS releases. At least for me.

Also, I've found that a triple tap on the screen sometimes wakes it. Again, this "feature" comes and goes.

Both seem independent of the random turn on problem, though.

By the way, I did a little more digging into the problem I was having. When the battery is pushed against the contacts (bottom), it has failures. When it's pushed up to the tap of the battery "tray," no problems. I did a naughty and put a small piece of paper at the bottom of the battery, to keep it pushed up, and my problems went away. I believe this is a known problem and Palm solved by putting a bit of foam or something at the bottom of the battery tray (since paper and a hot battery can be a problem). Looks like I might need to trade my Pre in or find my own heat-safe padding.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I have a very similar problem with the replacement Pre I just got yesterday. If I handle the phone, the screen will just turn on. If I push the power button to turn the screen off, sometimes the screen will just turn right back and sometimes it will flicker. Starting to really annoy me and I'm sure that whenever the phone is in my pocket it's turning the screen on and off endlessly.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    I have a very similar problem with the replacement Pre I just got yesterday. If I handle the phone, the screen will just turn on. If I push the power button to turn the screen off, sometimes the screen will just turn right back and sometimes it will flicker. Starting to really annoy me and I'm sure that whenever the phone is in my pocket it's turning the screen on and off endlessly.
    Yup, that's what I had. You really know it was on in your pocket when you pull out your phone and, despite not having used it, it lost over 20% of the power in an hour.
    I'm experiencing the same thing and I have the Touchstone back cover as well. Cleaning out the battery compartment doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.
    Thanks for the great info, Squeff! I'll just pretend it's a feature so it doesn't bother me as much.

Actually, the real issue I have is that since the battery life sucks, any unknown "screen on" will use up that battery - as you stated.

I really hoping this is a software issue, so it can be fixed with an update. I'd hate to go through the hassle of getting a new phone.
    why not just try replacing the battery .wherever you bought should replace for free. If I'm wrong then your phone should start turning on by itself again lol. But if I'm right then your all good.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I did my battery again, this time pushing it up in the tray before closing the cover (thanks squeff!). I didn't put anything like paper to hold it, I just pushed it up after I inserted it.

I think I found the sweet spot as the turning on by itself has stopped!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast