1.    #1  
    been watching the new iphone ads that talk about their "multitasking'--the ability to look up something on the web while on a call.

I had always heard the iphone did not have true multitasking. so is this really possible on the iphone?

sadly, i tested this on the Pre and you cannot surf the web on the evdo network while on a call. I can surf the web via my wifi connection while on a call but not on evdo.
    i believe its the same for iphone unless they have two radios for 3g. and i kinda doubt it
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    This is an advantage that the GSM network, such as ATT or TMobile has over a CDMA network, such as Sprint or Verizon. While CDMA gives you crisp clear calls, it cannot do both data and voice at the same time. The fruit phone can multitask a limited set of applications predetermined by Apple, unless the phone is jailbroken. It doesn't have multitasking in the same sense that the Pre does, where you can multiask everything.
    That's about as much multitasking the iPhone can do, other than being able to receive emails and play music in the background.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoster View Post
    been watching the new iphone ads that talk about their "multitasking'--the ability to look up something on the web while on a call.

I had always heard the iphone did not have true multitasking. so is this really possible on the iphone?

sadly, i tested this on the Pre and you cannot surf the web on the evdo network while on a call. I can surf the web via my wifi connection while on a call but not on evdo.
    The iPhone OS is a fully multi-tasking operating system. At times, it will be running as many as 8-10 Apple apps in the background (including Mail, Safari, iPod, phone, etc...) with many more processes and daemons going (totaling dozens of processes most of the time). The iPhone OS inherits this behavior from Mac OS X, which inherits this from UNIX.

What the iPhone doesn't do is allow third party apps to run in the background. That is not related to multi-tasking, it's just a limitation Apple puts on the user experience (they have their reasons).

When on a phone call, a user can put the iPhone's "phone" app into the background and launch any third party app (or bring one of the Apple apps into the foreground). Because the phone is GSM, the voice connection can stay live while the new foreground app accesses data via 3G. You could switch between Mail, Safari, and any of the other Apple apps pretty quickly (since they are already running in the background) while using data and still maintaining the voice connection.

This is more a benefit of GSM than anything else, and not so much about multi-tasking (which the phone does all the time, whether people realize it or not). In contrast, CDMA phones cannot do simultaneous cellular voice/data regardless of whether they are multi-tasking or not.

Unfortunately, people here seem to associate "cards" with multi-tasking, but true multi-tasking happens at a deeper level. You don't need to be able to flick cards around to multi-task.
    well the fact that you can go deeper in those card n do whatever you want with any open card IS MULTI-TASK
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Multiple processes running in the background does *NOT* make the iPhone a multitasking phone. From my understanding, you can run multiple apple native applications at once but cannot run multiple 3rd party applications at once. There is a huge difference between system multitasking and the users ability to multitask. All operating systems have many processes running in the background but all the user cares about is whether or not they can switch between their browser,documents, and other various apps. Something the iPhone is currently very limited at doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhall View Post
    Multiple processes running in the background does *NOT* make the iPhone a multitasking phone. From my understanding, you can run multiple apple native applications at once but cannot run multiple 3rd party applications at once. There is a huge difference between system multitasking and the users ability to multitask. All operating systems have many processes running in the background but all the user cares about is whether or not they can switch between their browser,documents, and other various apps. Something the iPhone is currently very limited at doing.

good say, friend.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    There is a huge difference between system multitasking and the users ability to multitask.
    Well, pick your definition.

I can multi-task without having a phone or computer in the same room with me. My ability to multi-task is not dependent on a device, or how it operates.

On the other hand, when talking about computer OSes and devices, multi-tasking generally has a pretty specific definition, ie, see Wikipedia:

Computer multitasking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The iPhone fits that description quite well, as it should based on its heritage.

But forget about the specifics -- I can switch from Mail to Safari on a 3GS and do stuff much faster than the same actions on my Pre. And if I am trying to accomplish this while on a phone call, well forget about the CDMA Pre all together. So, while the Pre makes the multi-tasking more obvious with its card switching, in practice the 3GS can still smoke it in terms of "productivity" at certain tasks.
    If you have an iPhone and are willing to jailbreak it, there's a neat program called Multifl0w, which does allow card-based multitasking, obviously based upon the Pre (I imagine it's a battery killer):

Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Lol, that's the best spin on the Iphone's no multitasking I've ever heard, s219.

Anyway, who really cares about voice and data at the same time? If it's really that important you can get a GSM Pre. I have, and I've never felt the need to use data when I was calling..
    when i watch the video i come back to the conclusion... what's the hubub not having 'full multitasking' on the iphone?

i'm looking at all the apps he is loading up... calendar, calculator, photos, etc... who the heck cares to multitask those? those things dont need to run in the background or do any processes in the background and with the 3gs you can load up all those apps up as fast as you can access if it were automatically opened in cards.

that's where the 3gs really shines after owning a 2g because it runs sooo fast that most apps load up immediately. also with the way many of the apps will hold exactly where you were last so the way the app loads when you go back, it's almost the equivalent to going back to a card except processes were not running while on a different app. (Do you really need Need For Speed" driving without you in the background while checking your calculator? lol)

that's why I kind of think the talk of multitasking is overrated. of course not having full multitasking i may not be able to think of other useful scenarios because like when iphone did not have cut/paste, didnt notice missing it and made do without it but when you get it you find yourself using it more than you thought it would.

saying that i will go back to the OPs post and say the iphone does multitask... there is one multitask feature iphone did provide and that is being on the phone and running apps and i have found that one invaluable in personal calls as well as business calls. that's where you want multiasking and it does it well. now you CANT mutitask further and only load one app at a time while on a call but again the way apps keep last position and the speed of going from app to app its almost a wash (in my opinion )

but one thing that gsm advantaged phone will be able to do that pre will never on Sprint... be on a call, run an app that requires data access... i can be on a call, run my Etrade app or Bank of America app or WebEx or Citrix Receiver app and maintain a connection and access my accounts online.

again... positives and minuses of each with their own advantages and disadvantages. but iphone does multitask to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    If you have an iPhone and are willing to jailbreak it, there's a neat program called Multifl0w, which does allow card-based multitasking, obviously based upon the Pre (I imagine it's a battery killer):

Last edited by donm527; 11/29/2009 at 11:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I don't need to pick my definition. You are trying to compare apples to oranges here. Like I said previously, *Most All* operating systems multitask at the system level. This is not what the debate is about and you know it. You are trying to put a spin on this to prove what others say is wrong.

Like I said before, I have never used an iPhone so I cannot make comparisons between it and any other phone on the market. I can only go by the specs that I have read and by what other iPhone users say. Like I said previously, it sounds as though you can run multiple applications that come on the phone but you cannot run multiple 3rd party applications. I can see where the voice/data has it's advantages on a gsm network but it is really mook if you cannot open that 3rd party internet enabled application. I guess the same could be said for a true multitasking interface on a cdma network. Its really mook to open it if you can't use data services while talking. But this is not a discussion about networks, it is a discussion about whether or not the iPhone has a true multitasking interface and as far as that arguement goes, from what I can tell it's interface has true multitasking with apple created software but not with 3rd party applications. That in my eyes, and this is only my opinion, makes the iPhone a multitasking interface but a very limited one. The networks ability to do voice/data at the same time has nothing to do with the ability to run multiple interfaces on the phone.

If one want's to compare devices/interfaces/networks, now that is a whole other discussion altogether. Personally I believe the pre on a gsm network would be the mother of all mothers if it's build quality didn't suck so bad.
    did you not read my example of being on a call and being able to run my Etrade App and log in and access my data? or my Citrix app? or my WebEx app?

I can see where the voice/data has it's advantages on a gsm network but it is really mook if you cannot open that 3rd party internet enabled application.
    For the vast majority of users the whole discussion of multi-taking has no real meaning.

The iPhone, Blackberry, and Pre can all multi-task and all do so nearly all the time.

If a program really takes advantage of the ADDITIONAL process execution capabilities of WebOS (meaning a program activally processes data while in the background) they will simple find the battery drains faster than they can place an order for that monster extended battery. This is not a slam on webOS just a reality of smart phones, processors, and batteries today.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    when i watch the video i come back to the conclusion... what's the hubub not having 'full multitasking' on the iphone?
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    did you not read my example of being on a call and being able to run my Etrade App and log in and access my data? or my Citrix app? or my WebEx app?
    Open all three at once...
    you first... open at least one of those internet enabled apps while on a call.

Admittedly, I can't open all three at once. But you can't open and effectively be able to use ONE while on a call. Again, look at the sentence I quoted from you.

Anyways, I'm just saying that the iPhone does multitask but IS limited and did even say it cant do more than two.

Open all three at once...
    Last edited by donm527; 11/29/2009 at 12:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Also... Let me be clear here. I have no issues with the iPhone. I have never really used one other than dinking around here and there on a friends. For my own personal use, an iPhone would probably be great. I don't do much *interface multitasking*. The most you will catch me doing is maybe running irc, prepod, and surfing the web. I'm guessing you couldn't do that on an iPhone but then again I don't have the *Need* to do all three at once. I would probably get used to what I can do and it would be sufficient for me. The real underlining arguement here is what can the phone actually do. It can run multiple apple applications but cannot run multiple 3rd party apps which the pre, droid, and I believe some/all rim devices can. That is the debate here. Not how many processes run in the background, whether you can access internet during a call, or if the need to do any of these things is really necessary. It's about what It can and cannot do. Fact of the matter is, if there is someone out there that has the *NEED* to run 5 internet enabled apps at the same time during a phone call and is not within range of wifi, the pre, droid, and iphone at the present time would not suffice based on software/network restrictions.