Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Okay... I got the patch and had some troubles (reboot, stuck on palm, ugh)... That day my battery ran out quickly... oh well.
    After that, everything has been going great!

Yesterday and today... my battery performance SHOT up.
    Today, for example, I didn't go below 75%. I did text a little and browsed the web a bit, did some other stuff, etc. From 12PM to 8PM my battery barely budged.

I'm guessing it's the low voltage when not using the phone.

The thing that used to kill me before is my IDLE Pre would sit there draining battery, which sucked. Now letting it sit there barely drains it. When I use it, I get the job done quickly because the patch made the Pre actually usable.
    I hope it's not some weird coincidence my battery just decides to work.

I swear... If this was somehow implemented on all Pre's, then I bet user satisfaction would shoot up.

-Faster scrolling between apps
    -No/Very little lag (hard to sense)
    -Less checkerboards (still there, but takes less time)
    -E-mail is SO much more usable now
    -Battery : So far so much better. We'll see in the long run.

Anyone else with insanely wonderful results from this patch?
    100% agree. Standby battery life is much better now. However,battery life still sucks during usage with the 500mhz smartflex patch. Its that damn EVDO radio. The slighest use drains the batteryso fast.
    So, so tempting to install this but I don't want to risk screwing up my Pre.

I've never encountered a serious problem with homebrew patches, applications and themes, but these "dangerous" patches are enough to scare me away.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Kedar, 500 or 600?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustoid View Post
    So, so tempting to install this but I don't want to risk screwing up my Pre.

I've never encountered a serious problem with homebrew patches, applications and themes, but these "dangerous" patches are enough to scare me away.
    If you have a newer phone late september to now, it seems to work better. No hard evidence on this yet.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    mm...interesting...
    I have a very strange experience with this patch.
    Not sure if it's related to the patch or purely coincidental (500mhz smartflex).

The day I installed the patch all went well and it appeared as though my battery life was better so I was a happy camper.

On day 2 I grabbed my phone in the morning and noticed it was very slow to respond and within a few minutes it came up with a memory critical message and then too many cards open.. I had NO CARDS OPEN.. I was simply attempting to open up preware.

I had to pull the battery to gain access to the phone as it was completely unresponsive at the time. I rebooted and within minutes of it being back.... same thing happens... quickly becomes unresponsive and then the memory error and then the freeze.

I tried 4 separate times to get to the patch removal via preware but could not as the phone died before getting anywhere in preware.

I ultimately decided to doctor my phone back to 1.31 and have had no problems with my phone after getting it back to the state it was prior to installing the patch.

I decided to stay away from it based on my experience.
    Last edited by the.teejster; 11/27/2009 at 07:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    100% agree. Standby battery life is much better now. However,battery life still sucks during usage with the 500mhz smartflex patch. Its that damn EVDO radio. The slighest use drains the batteryso fast.
    hey maybe you should start a thread on evdo toggle in device menu it would make it alot easier to turn on and off when you didnt need it lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I too had the same thing occur with both the Smartflex 500 and 600. I actually wasn't around a PC so I had to keep pulling the battery.....took 8 or 9 times before I could get into Preware and remove the patch. Everything is back to normal now.

What is odd is I only had a few Too many Cards error messages while running the 600 Scaling one. I have tried all versions of these patches and easily the 600 Scaling was the fastest and most reliable on a day to day basis for my phone. I have removed it because of the Warnings from many of the other postings but it seemed to run much better with that one, wish I had that speed back!
    Last edited by neoncorey; 11/27/2009 at 08:32 AM.
    I had the SR600 installed and just couldn't deal with the battery life when in use. I was playing M:Mafia and my battery dropped from %60 to %25 in 28mins. The speed is great and the standby time was good but damn when I want to use the phone I can't afford it to drain the battery so fast.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grynv View Post
    Kedar, 500 or 600?
    I have 600...
    I'd probably do 500 to be safe, but now that I have 600 without problems, it's all good.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I have 600...
    I'd probably do 500 to be safe, but now that I have 600 without problems, it's all good.
    I love my 600 patch too
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Why doesn't Palm implement this in their next update?
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
    Why doesn't Palm implement this in their next update?
    I feel like they should do 500 first...
    And I'm guessing that GPU optimization is completely different than this... so would GPU access make the Pre even faster? Iphone 3Gs Fast?

I mean I would consider mine (with 600) a tad bit faster than my sister's Iphone 3G. Not too much, but enough to notice a difference.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Hmm...i had problems on 500 after "updating" it.
    I doctored it and couldn't stand not having maximum battery efficiency and now i'm back on 500. No problems yet.

I'm considering 600 just for the speed but idk... is it really that big of a difference? anyone on 550?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Okay... I got the patch and had some troubles (reboot, stuck on palm, ugh)...
    Kedar - how did you fix the "stuck on Palm" issue? I installed this patch as well but I ran into the same problem where it was stuck on "palm" start up screen. Eventually, I had to run webdoc and start my phone all over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by grynv View Post
    If you have a newer phone late september to now, it seems to work better. No hard evidence on this yet.
    Thanks for the information--I actually hadn't heard about this correlation. I got my phone about two weeks after launch, so I definitely don't want to screw with it now. I'll just keep up and see how the patch is working and probably wait for an official fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustoid View Post
    Thanks for the information--I actually hadn't heard about this correlation. I got my phone about two weeks after launch, so I definitely don't want to screw with it now. I'll just keep up and see how the patch is working and probably wait for an official fix.

Urgh. That is so annoying. Well, I'm not gonna chance it again then. I almost freaked when all I saw was "Palm" and couldn't do anythign else.
    major battery improvements with light usage on 500Mhz patch

kudos

Gx
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i notice it uses more power when running cpu intensive apps i.e. streaming, maps, movies, music, etc. i find its usage at idle is reduced.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast