Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    I just got a Pre and was hoping to replace my iPhone with it as i'm bored with the iPhone and every tom, **** & harry and his mom has one. I'm enjoying it mostly so far but two things stand out to me choppiness of animation and volume. I wish palm would offload UI animations onto the GPU like Apple does with the iPhone using Core Animation/OpenGL

Second, audio. This is a big one for me as i listen to music a lot. The headset/speaker audio limit is waay too low and i've found that even at max volume its nowhere near enough whereas on my iPhone i start to get uncomfortable at 80% volume. The iPhone simply blows it out of the water.

I really hope palm boost the audio in the next update as its seriously lacking and hope they take advantage of the GPU because the CPU can sometimes struggle...especially if you have too many things going on.

Build quality & Battery life is also nothing to write home about and it doesn't seem like there'll be a hardware update for a while

I'm still torn as to whether to hold on to my iPhone and wait a while longer or just stick with the pre through thick & thin...after all i'm a geek and dealing with Rev A-ish products whilst challenging can be fun
    I have to agree about the volume -- I wish there was a way to increase it.

And of course I definitely agree about battery life. Mine sucks.
    I find the volume to be perfectly fine.

Palm has said they are already working on offloading the graphics work. But at least they can do more than one thing at a time unlike the iphone.

As for audio, perhaps you need better headphones, I don't have any problem and can't get mine past 50% without discomfort, usually I run about 30% and don't hear any outside noise.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Its not the headphones, i have 2 Bose & 1 V-Moda vibe headphones. All sound great with any iPod/iPhone...
    +1. The sound is great with bluetooth, but on the speaker I can only hear it half the time. These issues need to be addressed
    you can try this. replace the file with webosqi and it will increase the volume gain by about +6db i did this and i can not raise the volume all the way up cause it gets uncomfortable.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Thanks but i'm a noob..how do i do the webosqi thing?
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joetemp75 View Post
    you can try this. replace the file with webosqi and it will increase the volume gain by about +6db i did this and i can not raise the volume all the way up cause it gets uncomfortable.
    How Do You Install This? Sry 4 Asking
    Hi Everybody!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by joetemp75 View Post
    What would be the location of the file on the pre?
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    the file is in /etc/audio/b/media_headset.txt

see:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2044679

which I think gives a 12dB gain. It looks like the one from the good Mr. Joetemp75 will give ya 6dB. (which should be more than enough!)

Be careful as this could damage your Pre, your headphones, and your ears!
    Last edited by jc-Treo; 12/08/2009 at 09:56 AM.
    you have to use webosqi its a program you can get on this forum. then just send the file to the pre to /ect/audio/b/. no offence but if you dont know how to use webosqi then get familiar with it before you send files. otherwise leave it alone.
    oh and remember to reboot the phone after to get it to apply. not just a luna restart
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo View Post
    the file is in /etc/audio/b/media_headset.txt

see:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2044679

which I think gives a 12dB gain. It looks like the one from the good Mr. Joetemp75 will give ya 6dB. (which should be more than enough!)

Be care as this could damage your Pre, your headphones, and your ears!
    thats true the problem i had with the one on this page was that it was too much. i have a pair of shure earbuds and i almost went def but the worst thing was my music distorted at about halfway up. the hex code i changed is a stepping gain per level on the volume so it is not so drastic
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the suggestion...i shall look into the webosqi thing

EDIT: One more question is it safe to use Eurpean/GSM Pre's with this utility because it asks to download something and only give Sprint/Bell versions as options?
    Last edited by kanaka; 12/07/2009 at 10:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestion...i shall look into the webosqi thing

EDIT: One more question is it safe to use Eurpean/GSM Pre's with this utility because it asks to download something and only give Sprint/Bell versions as options?
    Perfectly safe as WebOSQI is only using an app that is within the .jar file, that i believe is the same in al WebOS Doctors. If you are worried, download the GSM WebOS Doctor into the same folder as WebOSQI, and rename it to webOSDoctor.jar (note case).
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Thanks. Got it done and defo an improvement.
    I am becoming curious too on this, but also I am a little afraid of messing things up.

Is this a so called patch that is reversible in case it harms my pre?

How about it when future webOS-updates will become available?

At last, what can be done to get of rid of this if necessary?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjunik View Post
    I am becoming curious too on this, but also I am a little afraid of messing things up.

Just "receive" the file before you "send" it to your pre. Keep it on your computer as backup
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjunik View Post

Depending on what gets updated, you might need to re-install. On the last update, palm changed the way the .txt file was interpreted and I had to change two additional lines (these changes are included in the version joetemp75 posted above).

Back in my treo/centro days, ptunes just had a +6db switch you could click on. Or, just bump the equalizer up... Not so easy on the Pre!
    here is another edited file that boosts it up more. due to request
    Attached Files Attached Files
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast