Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I'm buying a Palm Pre Thursday and I was just wondering where i should begin once i get the phone. I've read a lot of posts and watched many videos of things I would like to do (on screen keyboard, themes, apps, etc.) but since you guys are experience smart phone users (I'm a first-timer) I was wondering where to start....
    Get the Invisible SHIELD Screen Protector or at the very least any screen protector. Then just play with the phone. Once you understand the phone and it's ins and outs the maybe install the landscape modes for your phone. Take it slow and have fun. It's kind of like a MINI Cooper in that no two Pre's will be alike.
    A screen protector is a great idea, I'm using the PhantomSkinz (just the front) and think it's excellent.

But the most important thing (assuming you care about your data) is to change the default Palm Profile for Contacts and Calendar to a Google account (or another online/desktop source if you like) *before* you transfer, download or type in anything.

Otherwise enjoy. All of the themes and patches are fun, just keep in mind they have to be removed/replaced before/after every WebOS update (which have been frequent).
    1.) Get a screen protector and the TouchStone back. (back only from precentral store or both charger and back from the store.)

2.) Put Preware on it. Download WebOS Quick Install and use it to install Preware on it.

3.) Look around and find patches, themes, and apps that you want.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    you can start getting software set up. like if you really want to get home brew apps and themes right away. you might as well have them ready on the computer

download webOS doctor
    WebOS quick install

look through the themes now, get an idea at what you want

other then that, enjoy the phone
    Play with it to get used to it.

Install Preware and scroll through and install what you like or feel is missing.

Get used to universal search. I still find myself stuck in Nokia mode: 'open menu, go to address book, look for name'... On the Pre just start typing and you find thing with just a few button presses! Love it.

Enjoy!
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Cli UX50 - T|x - Pr - Pr 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    def. get a skin , my pref. is phantom skins front only with the siedeo innocase but whatever you like . then of course tweak it out !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    battery sucks so don't be surprise at the performance, I don't mind at all.

just a major warning update ur pre then install patches and all that. And please remove patches before any future update this causes some issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by enemigo32 View Post
    I'm buying a Palm Pre Thursday and I was just wondering where i should begin once i get the phone. I've read a lot of posts and watched many videos of things I would like to do (on screen keyboard, themes, apps, etc.) but since you guys are experience smart phone users (I'm a first-timer) I was wondering where to start....
    http://install.preware.org

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    See my signature below. Start with the Tips and Tricks. The Pre does so many amazing things that no one knows about when they get it. Many are not documented.

I would say to get your gmail account set up if you don't already have one as a great way to backup your calendar and contacts. Also see the Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes with WebOS Quick Install and Getting Started: Preware.

Make your first app you download be Music Player (Remix). You will be amazed.

But the real magic is in the Patches that let you add a hundred features to your Pre. The best part is that they are as easy to install as a Homebrew App. Dozens of patches are featured in the articles There's a Patch for That (Part 1), Part 2, and Part 3 plus here is a full list of patches.

See the other links below.

You are about to have a blast!

- Craig
    I don't have a skin or screen protector, but I understand that it is helpful to others.

Read the posts on this forum before you modify your phone. The experiences of those who came before you will help you make the most of your phone.
    dont forget to use google sync to avoid data loss if your planning to tweak the phone since you might need to run webos doctor if preware fails
    Change it to something cool. Here are the png's you need to load into WOSQI (Thanks to Jason).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thanks....after i get a gmail account and back everything up, should i download the latest version of webos or install the preware and patches first?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Thanks....after i get a gmail account and back everything up, should i download the latest version of webos or install the preware and patches first?
    Update BEFORE installing patches.

And in the future, REMOVE patches before UPDATING!!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    will i need to remove apps too?
    will i need to remove apps too?
    No, apps are fine. The patches are actual tweaks to WebOS. Having the phone apply an update to a tweaked OS is not a good thing.

However, if your software ever breaks, you can always use the WebOS Doctor to restore your phone to factory settings. And if you have all your contacts, calendar and email via google (or some other service) the Pre will just resync with them. Your Palm account will also redownload, and install all of your apps you got through the app catalog.

But the most important thing to do with your new phone is to have fun. Welcome to the WebOS community.
    Read how to install WebOS Quick Install (it's up to version 2.9).

After you learn how to install that and get it running, use it to install 'Package Service Manager' and 'Preware'.

Then you are all set to try out all this stuff that is talked about here.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Sorry for OT, but I must say WebOS community is really helpful, although links to tutorials are on the front page of precentral, isntead of flaming you help the newbie of webos hacking!
    Last edited by beez276; 12/01/2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
    also whenever you decide to remove patches before updating webos... search through preware for the emergency patch removal..this will automatically remove all patches at once instead of removing them one at a time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast