1.    #1  
    My Pre came off the touchstone at 6:48am this morning and was down to 20% at 3pm today - not amazing, but better than it has been. My screen was at the dimmest and email on one exchange account set to sync every 15 minutes, made a few longish calls (20 mins each) with the Pre on the Touchstone.

I charged the Pre from 3pm until 4:30pm which got it back to 100%. According the the homebrew battery monitor, it is still at 95% and has 368 hours of life remaining at a drain per hour of between .15 and .27% (improved from 10-15% all throughout the day).

Just set to sync as mail arrives and whacked the screen up to max - let'e see if this is reporting wrong or if something has improved with something.

Anyone else noticed anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    I have seen some improvement since 1.3.1. I'm running a 1400 Amzer battery and have until recently kept the Pre on constant charge when at work during the day.
    I haven't attempted to measure it, but I am definitely charging my Pre a lot less.
    Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.
    Martin Golding
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    My battery life got a lot better when i went from 1.1.3 to Sprint 1.3.1. Now I've gone back to the EU firmware, battery life has got worse. I installed the 500MHz Smartflex patch last night and noticed a massive improvement throughout today. Charged on TS to 100% at 7am and at nearly 8pm I'm at 73% with no charging.
    My battery life is about 1 and a half day, but don't scare! My screen is at the middle bright, the email with only one account sync when arrive 1 email and I have 1.3.1 Movistar webOS but I'm a student and I can't use my palm from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
    I've recharged completely my battery yesterday and I disconnected the charger at 7:30 a.m. and today at 4:00 pm my pre's off.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    mines horrendous, off the charger around 7:30, by 16:00 im around 30% and thats with very little usage. I used to use it to listen to about 4 hours of music when at work and I would still finish the day with around 40%, now I darent use it which is annoying the hell out of me considering what im paying for it.

Palm are going to contact me within the next 48 hours to try and help me as its 1.3.1 related. this never happened with 1.1.3, I even tried reverting and it improved right away but I need the features and patches in 1.3.1. Im also using an extended battery which is even worse.

I did however see a slight increase today after letting the battery drain completely then charging to 100%, ill see if this improves over the next few days.

One thing I noticed is that the battery monitor reports my battery as being 468 mah, I know there are known issues with this app and 1.3.1 but im wondering if the OS is reading my battery wrong too which is why it appears to be draining too fast
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Well ive seen a huge jump in battery life today. Ive had to return my pre due to some issues Ive had with it and exchange it for a new one. Earlier this morning I removed all of my patches so it was clean before I took it into the shop. My battery drain dropped from 6% per hour to 0.8%.

I have no idea which patch it was but one of them has been doing it. Ive not had any dangerous patches installed, only a dozen or so relating to the top bar or calendar.
    I've had impressive battery life since 1.3.1 - whenever I use battery monitor, I tend to have approximately 2% per hour with minimal use, with GPS / wifi / data all on. I can get about 6% drain while leaving IM / Google Talk on as well. All in all, I'm very pleased.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    Just set to sync as mail arrives and whacked the screen up to max - let'e see if this is reporting wrong or if something has improved with something.

Where is the option 'set to sync as mail arrives' ?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernlanes View Post
    Where is the option 'set to sync as mail arrives' ?
    Pay a visit to your preferences in the mail app, click your mail account, find the sync section, change the "get email" option to "as items arrive". This is push email so it'll only work on compatible providers such as gmail.
    Yesterday my Pre drained pretty quickly also. I noticed it in the morning after an hour or 2 off the charger it drained down to 30 percent by noon. I charged it up to 97% by 3pm. At 6:30 pm it ran down to 30 percent and by 8 pm it was down to 5 percent. This morning I woke up with my Pre at 100 percent came to work and now at about 12:07 pm I am at 87 percent. Much better than yesterday. Only thing I did was uninstall Trapster and rebooted my phone.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    My battery indicator (on the top bar and in the Device info) shows 100% after 2 hours.
    Wifi was on but except for this, no activity.
    Strange, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by phil71 View Post
    My battery indicator (on the top bar and in the Device info) shows 100% after 2 hours.
    Wifi was on but except for this, no activity.
    Strange, isn't it?
    how many patchs do you have on your pre? mine shows 88% after 2hrs with wifi on and no activity. have 15 patches

got 12hrs stand-by yesterday before the battery was at 2% had wifi on but no activity, when not in range 3g was on

is this the cos i have so many patches?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boyblueeye View Post
    how many patchs do you have on your pre? mine shows 88% after 2hrs with wifi on and no activity. have 15 patches

got 12hrs stand-by yesterday before the battery was at 2% had wifi on but no activity, when not in range 3g was on

is this the cos i have so many patches?
    It's not the number of patches you have, it's what they do. I also notice my total battery lifetime increases after reboots, so perhaps some applications are remaining after closure. Is there some command I can type in the terminal to figure this out? Top is pretty useless on the pre.
    JsTop (homebrew) helps a little bit to list those Lune processes
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Catdaemon View Post
    Pay a visit to your preferences in the mail app, click your mail account, find the sync section, change the "get email" option to "as items arrive". This is push email so it'll only work on compatible providers such as gmail.
    Does this not use more battery than downloading accumulated emails every 15 minutes?
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Some clarification on that would be good.

Some people think "as item arrives" is best whereas some people think it means that the email app is constantly checking for new mail = battery usage.

I dont know the answer but would like to know what the optimal setting for the email app is. Cue some smart ar5e to suggest disabling email.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Saw somewhere on the Palm knowledge base that if you don't get emails that frequently (meaning don't get more than an email every 5 minutes), it will actually save you battery life, since it uses IMAP IDLE. However, if you get too frequent emails on the account, you are better off with downloading emails every 15 minutes.
    I have been using "as item arrives" on all of my accounts and have not seen any dramatic change in battery life (either direction). I do like the fact that my Pre beeps before my PC mail client even receives the email. Don't even bother keeping it open most of the day now.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Some people think "as item arrives" is best whereas some people think it means that the email app is constantly checking for new mail = battery usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagipe View Post
    Saw somewhere on the Palm knowledge base that if you don't get emails that frequently (meaning don't get more than an email every 5 minutes), it will actually save you battery life, since it uses IMAP IDLE. However, if you get too frequent emails on the account, you are better off with downloading emails every 15 minutes.
    Has anyone experimented further with this point?
    What setting do you think is best?
    I've been experienced undiagnosable battery life fluctuations recently.

I've been in Poland for 2 weeks, so had my data swtched off and the phone is in roaming mode. I turned my email to 15mins and wifi is on most of the time. GPS goes on when I am out and about. Naturally, with the data off, the battery is much better than at home. Weirdly though, some days it is significantly better than others without any real reason! Sometimes the battery monitor will show drains of 0.something% with a couple of programs running. Another time, with a fresj luna reboot, it will be draining at 3-7% an hour!? I just can't seem to work out why!