1.    #1  
    Okay, let's assume I don't know anything about linux or rooting or anything like that. Are there any instructions out there that are geared for an individual as described above for rooting for MyTether??

It seems like everyone's instructions fail to explain what the acronyms mean or how to link these to what's going on. Any help available out there for us non-computer oriented people?

I'm not saying I don't know anything about computers, just linux specifically.

Also, all I want to do is use my phone as a modem for my laptop if that helps.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    these are the instructions when MyTether first came out. I would personally just donate(i actually did) the 15 bucks and get the installer.
    http://palmpre-hacks.com/palm-pre-ha...a-wifi-router/
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    If you don't know enough t root your pre you should read the plethora of information available on these forums to educate yourself to the point where you can root your pre.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    If you don't know enough t root your pre you should read the plethora of information available on these forums to educate yourself to the point where you can root your pre.
    I tried that. And every different explanation talks about things like SKD's or whatever and doesn't explain what they are, what it stands for, or what good they are to me. So... basically go stick it and educate yourself on how to educate others so you're worth something to anybody.

And personally, I would love to donate the money for the easy way out, but 15 dollars isn't something I have this time of year to just throw around. I have no problem showing my appreciation with donations like that otherwise.
    MyTether is not really one of those apps that it is safe to install without knowing what you're doing. MaxLOL was right, although he probably could have phrased it more diplomatically. You really need to have some basic linux knowledge, especially given the "beta" nature of the MyTether software.
    Is there a simple set of instructions for Vista PC's
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by glwilliams View Post
    Is there a simple set of instructions for Vista PC's
    Nope... therein lies the problem. Some of these computer gurus need to take an education class or two and learn how to teach someone before they speak up.

I'll just have to wait until after the holidays for the installer.
    Why is it someone else's responsibility to provide you an education again? Do yourself a favor and Google "webos internals". If that doesn't provide you with what you need then no one here will be able to do a better job, especially not with your unteachable attitude.

Look, My Tether is an advanced application that requires some work on your part to get it on your phone. If you can't figure out how to do that work on your own, you have to pay.
    Look, I'm not real smart when it comes to code and all that stuff. In fact, I'm downright dumb. In the end, it took me 1.5 hours to install MyTether. An hour and 28 minutes of that time was spent using Google, Wikipedia and these forums to do the research. It then took two minutes to actually perform the root install (or whatever it was that I did). It worked out fine. I can now use the Bluetooth connection to connect to my MacBook.

If MyTether is that important to you, you can do the research, too. I don't think there's really a magic bullet. If you skip steps, from what I understand, you can brick your phone. You might as well learn what it is you're doing. By understanding the phone and process, it can only help you down the line.

And like someone else mentioned, it's on you to seek the education. Why the sense of entitlement?
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ageyoung24 View Post
    I am really lazy and don't feel like reading someone tell me how to do this because I don't want to read
    calm down brah
    dude just buy it cause I think the free version is unclear on purpose to frustrate you into buying it, so save your time and headache. I've been trying to install this **** since halloween and still aint got it. So, once I save up $15 worth of pennies, I'm coping that joint.

oh yeah, and how dude gone raise the damn price for mytether during a damn reccesion, it was $10.