1.    #1  
    i just got another pre from sprint i had them not do the 1.3 update so i'm on the 1.1 still. i have tethered the phone it works awesome i also got preware but i noticed the patches arent there for things like more rows and battery life as a percent . iam thinking i have to update my phone to get these patches is this true?
    Yep
    You do.

And you should always update to the latest Patch. Each provides enhancements over the previous including important security updates.

Additionally these updates are usually required for certain Apps in the catalog both Palm's and Homebrew.

There's is no real argument to not update at any point as long as you follow all directions properly, namely with patches.
  4.    #4  
    okay sounds good so ill remove all the things i downloaded. with this update iam going to lose the wifi part of the tethering right
    Quote Originally Posted by tgc99gt View Post
    okay sounds good so ill remove all the things i downloaded. with this update iam going to lose the wifi part of the tethering right
    If you have the paid/donated version of mytether you can still use wifi tethering. Unfortunately, the camera app, video playback and maybe some other things do not work when this is enabled. Fortunately, aonic has created an on device patch enabler that allows you to toggle between being able to wifi tether and being able to use the camera.