Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    I bought my Pre a little under a week ago. Switched over from a Treo 800w.

    1. I'm pleased with the phone overall. It's definitely feeding my OCD and giving me something to do.

    2. These Forums have been tremendously helpful with information and how to's that I never would have figured out otherwise. So a BIG thank you from a new Pre user.

    3. I'm unhappy with a few things about the Pre. This info is for others who are considering one, and it's not necessarily prohibitive, just something to think about:
    -----a) I strongly dislike that MSN Messenger is not one of the supported IM features (this has me peeved);
    -----b) I also dislike that the Pre would not easily connect with my office's exchange server that was self signed and my exchange server had to go buy an SSL;
    -----c) the battery drain is fairly rapid, even with things like WiFi turned off, and I'm used to poor battery life coming from a Treo 800w, but I was hoping that with the Pre, battery life issues would improve;
    -----d) not having the Notes from my desktop Outlook sync to the Pre via EAS is also very annoying, although I'm aware that the issue is not unique to the Pre (this also has me very peeved), but regardless, Palm needs to fix this huge shortcoming with Notes, a major component of Outlook that many people use;
    -----e) so that my Pre Calendar new events would sync to my desktop Outlook Calendar, I found a 'fix' in these Forums to manually set the time zone and while that seems to help, these kinds of quirks and shortcomings are a huge annoyance and greatly take away from the happiness factor of a device like this (basic functioning should NOT be an issue).

    4. On a more positive note, the ability of the Pre to handle so much information and for it to flow the way it does is quite remarkable. Usually, it's very user friendly and intuitive. With the exceptions listed above, I'm thoroughly enjoying the Pre. As great as it is, though, these issues and others really need to be addressed by Palm as they greatly take away from an otherwise good product.

    5. Something I'm wondering about. What do most people seem to use for dialing their Contacts? Just use the keyboard to start typing in a name or some type of quick launch application?

    I'm currently trying Quick Contacts (downloaded from PreWare) but it says the program runs out in ten days.

    Are there others?

    Is there one that seems to be a clear winner in terms of simplicity and functionality?

    6. I went through the detailed guide in these Forums to install Luna and PreWare. I've downloaded numerous patches and applications. I've also read that when there is a new Web OS update, I need to remove all of the patches and themes before downloading the update.

    That's where I'm not so sure what to do. Is there a quick guide that I'm just missing on how to easily do this (remove all patches and themes)?

    And if that's done, what do you do afterward? Go through the whole list all over again and pick/choose which to re-install?

    7. Regarding e-mail, I've set three e-mail accounts. I have a Yahoo e-mail account that the Pre checks every hour. I have gmail and my office's EAS set to push.

    Would it save a significant amount of battery life to change those 'push' e-mail settings to something less often? I'm wondering if it matters.

    8. And, just an added thought. Some of the patches and applications from PreWare really do A LOT to make the Pre more functional, more efficient and overall, a much better product. It's a great way to improve the Pre from what comes out of the box.

    -----------

    Anyway, I may think of more questions/issues, but thoughts and input would be appreciated. Thank you.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    ...5. Something I'm wondering about. What do most people seem to use for dialing their Contacts? Just use the keyboard to start typing in a name or some type of quick launch application?
    ...
    I just use the keyboard. One thing that a lot of folks new to Palm (and some that aren't new) don't realize is that you can type the first letter of the first name, then start typing the last name, and get the user that way as well.

    Thus type JOHND for John Doe may be needed because you have so many folks named "John", but typing JDO will bring the same result, depending of course on how many JD...'s you have (I use JDO as an example, because the vast majority of the names in my contact list can be zeroed in on using three letters.)
  3. #3  
    I use Quick Contacts and have it on my quick launcher instead of the phone icon. (I got it while it was still a homebrew app.) The people I call 90 percent of the time are in the quick contacts. Otherwise, I just start typing the name of the person I need to call.
  4. #4  
    I use a combination of speed keys for my most called people. For the next category I use Photo Dialer (in App Catalog). It works great - at least for me. I find it easier to glance down at a picture to dial rather then read a bunch of lines. Welcome to Pre and this forum!
  5. #5  
    The people I call the most are on speed dial.
    Beyond that - sometimes start typing, sometimes click contacts and flick through the list. Mostly a matter of using one hand or two.
  6. #6  
    In regards to your patches/update issue, the guys made it really easy to get your phone ready for an update. Either remove your theme from preware or load the default from WOSQI, and then run the program "Emergency Patch Recovery" from preware. You can go to List Everything and just start typing "Emergency" to get to it. Once it downloads it removes all the patches and you're good to go. Just make sure you remove the theme before EPR.

    I've helped 3 people homebrew up their phones and this method worked with no issues for the last update.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodgingbrom View Post
    In regards to your patches/update issue, the guys made it really easy to get your phone ready for an update. Either remove your theme from preware or load the default from WOSQI, and then run the program "Emergency Patch Recovery" from preware. You can go to List Everything and just start typing "Emergency" to get to it. Once it downloads it removes all the patches and you're good to go. Just make sure you remove the theme before EPR.

    I've helped 3 people homebrew up their phones and this method worked with no issues for the last update.
    That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.

    So I don't download that ahead of time? Just wait until there is the need, download and it does the job? Very nice. I'll read the description in PreWare. After the update, do you then have to pick and choose and reinstall all of the patches all over again?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I use Quick Contacts and have it on my quick launcher instead of the phone icon. (I got it while it was still a homebrew app.) The people I call 90 percent of the time are in the quick contacts. Otherwise, I just start typing the name of the person I need to call.
    That's what I've been doing and it seems to be working well.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.

    So I don't download that ahead of time? Just wait until there is the need, download and it does the job? Very nice. I'll read the description in PreWare. After the update, do you then have to pick and choose and reinstall all of the patches all over again?
    It runs as soon as you download it if I remember right, so there's no way to download it ahead of time. Right after the update, most patches will not work right anyway so you'd have to wait until the author updates them anyway.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    I'm currently trying Quick Contacts (downloaded from PreWare) but it says the program runs out in ten days.

    Are there others?

    Is there one that seems to be a clear winner in terms of simplicity and functionality?
    I use PhotoDialer and like it pretty well. Haven't tried any of the others.
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  11. jp99's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I just use the keyboard. One thing that a lot of folks new to Palm (and some that aren't new) don't realize is that you can type the first letter of the first name, then start typing the last name, and get the user that way as well.
    The Pre is my first Palm device, and this is the first I've heard of this. Very nice, thanks for mentioning it.
  12. jp99's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    -----c) the battery drain is fairly rapid, even with things like WiFi turned off, and I'm used to poor battery life coming from a Treo 800w, but I was hoping that with the Pre, battery life issues would improve;
    Yes, if the EV is enabled, it seems to drain the battery fast - especially if you're on the outer edge of usable signal strength. Any radio application seems to fit this. I've upgraded to the Sedio 1350mAh battery to help with this, and with a touchstone at work I keep the phone charged.

    Lately, I'm getting better battery life with the new Smartreflex 500 patch - but it's still experimental, and you may not want to play with it. It drops the voltage when the Pre's in standby, and reduces power usage. The CPU scaling patches do the same thing, but seem to cause more lock ups than Smartreflex. The 600MHz patches are really nice - they speed up the Pre if they don't brick it - but use up even more battery power when you're using the Pre actively.

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    5. Something I'm wondering about. What do most people seem to use for dialing their Contacts? Just use the keyboard to start typing in a name or some type of quick launch application?
    Like others, I use a combination of speed dial for a few very frequently dialed contacts, and a quick keyboard search for the rest. I do miss voice dialing like I've had on my last few regular mobile phones, and it irritates me that it's not on an advanced phone like the Pre.

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    7. Regarding e-mail, I've set three e-mail accounts. I have a Yahoo e-mail account that the Pre checks every hour. I have gmail and my office's EAS set to push.

    Would it save a significant amount of battery life to change those 'push' e-mail settings to something less often? I'm wondering if it matters.
    This was a significant issue in the early Web OS versions, but I find it less so now. I'm not sure if that's just a perception of mine, or it's real.

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    8. And, just an added thought. Some of the patches and applications from PreWare really do A LOT to make the Pre more functional, more efficient and overall, a much better product. It's a great way to improve the Pre from what comes out of the box.
    Yes, we owe a lot of thanks to the application developers (apps, patches, Web OS internals, etc) in making this a far more usable device. Without these, I would have been on the fence about keeping or returning my Pre before the 30 days were up, and going somewhere else for a smartphone.
    Last edited by jp99; 11/27/2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Smartreflex comments added
  13. #13  
    you can make your own contact links on the launcher if you didnt already know with their picture and all only takes a moment to do too lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  14. #14  
    just open contacts ,choose the contact you would like to add to launcher go into preferences menu and add to launcher . draw back is it brings up their phone number or numbers and you have to choose the number to dial . yes its one more tap but if its free im in lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  15. #15  
    yup


    Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  16. #16  
    I downloaded the Photodialer app when it was free, just an easier way to speed dial people. Now they have added a speed text to it. Really happy with it.
  17. Hurleygm's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    #17  
    I use the keyboard for dialing the most. I also use the history to dial it super fast and is right on the phone app. I just started using Speed Dial Pro, it just came out in the app catalog. Seems like a good simple app.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    5. Something I'm wondering about. What do most people seem to use for dialing their Contacts? Just use the keyboard to start typing in a name or some type of quick launch application?

    I'm currently trying Quick Contacts (downloaded from PreWare) but it says the program runs out in ten days.

    Are there others?

    Is there one that seems to be a clear winner in terms of simplicity and functionality?
    - I just use universal search. I can dial any contact of the hundreds in my pre in just under 6 seconds. I don't see the propose of using any of those Quick Contact apps. Just take out the Pre slide it open and type a persons name. You don't have to even push the power button! Right there you have the option to ether text or call them...

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    That's where I'm not so sure what to do. Is there a quick guide that I'm just missing on how to easily do this (remove all patches and themes)?

    And if that's done, what do you do afterward? Go through the whole list all over again and pick/choose which to re-install?
    - The is an patch in Preware called 'Emergency Patch Recovery'. This will remove all patches you have installed. Make sure you uninstall your theme you have installed before running it though.
    - To run it just open up Preware and tap 'List of Everything' and type in the name. Tap it and then install it.

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    Would it save a significant amount of battery life to change those 'push' e-mail settings to something less often? I'm wondering if it matters.
    - Yes it does!!! My recommendation is to set it to check the least amount of times possible with out ruining it for you. I would try setting it to at least 1 hour, if not more. If you have it on 'As item arrives' it is like surfing the internet 24/7.
    -To get maximum battery do the following:
    1.) Turn down the screen brightness to at least 30%-40%. This is a huge battery drainer...
    2.) Make sure you have the GPS and other location services off when not using them. After using GPS it does not turn off by it self. Go to Location Services app and turn off everything. My recommendation is to install the GPS in device menu patch.
    3.) Install the 'Powersave CPU Scaling 600MHz' patch. What this does is make the Pre's processor run much slower when the screen it off and not in use. This is really useful because most of the day your Pre in in your pocket and by doing this in will more than double the time you Pre can survive in stand by mode.
    4.) Lastly, install the battery with/without icon because this will help you manage the battery better if you can see were it is at all the time.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  19.    #19  
    Some good thoughts and information in here. Thanks for the replies, folks.

Posting Permissions