Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Hi,

I'm from Denmark and just baught myself a new Pre. How do I change the Networks settings like APN etc? How do I upgrade my GSM device to the latest 1.3.1 firmware? This is an unlocked German QWERTZ model.

Thanks in advance.

- RasmusJV, Denmark
    Hi,

Hope you enjoy your pre =),

*To change the APN settings you can either edit a carrier settings database or you can get the function to do so by upgrading to 1.3.1 (which i recommend), so:

To upgrade to 1.3.1 i suggest you turn on and connect via wifi, and then go to the launcher, scroll to the end page (where your settings are) and click on "update". The pre will then look for update and prompt you to update and install, do so, and after a while you should have 1.3.1

*When you are in 1.3.1 changing the APN settings is easy, simply open the dialer app, click on your network on the top left for the menu, and choose preferences, a new card will show up where you can change network settings, scroll down and you will see an option to use "manual settings", do so and it will take you to a page to enter new APN settings.

Any more queries feel free to ask.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    For now. Thanks for your nice and prompt response. Nice to see someone help out, thanks a bunch!

- RasmusJV, Danmark
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmusjv View Post
    For now. Thanks for your nice and prompt response. Nice to see someone help out, thanks a bunch!

- RasmusJV, Danmark
    Anytime, let us know how things go, remember to hit thanks
    hi, I'm on 1.4.1 and at Orange in Slovakia... I have a Palm Pre Plus from Germany, unlocked. If I tap on "Manual Settings" in network settings, nothing happens... :-( If I tap on "Update Network Settings" nothing happens, this option seems to inactive as the "button" does not turn black, while tapping it. the "manual settings" is turning black when I tap it, seems to work normally but I cannot access the manual network settings.
    does anybody having an idea what could I do??? thank you...!
    Hey gomezzz I think I had a similar problem to yours. Are you using a Rebel Sim? If you are you might need to downgrade the baseband on the phone before it works.

I take it you are trying to set the APN to orange so you can get data? While I was able to get into the manual settings menu it wouldn't allow me to change the APN settings. However I removed my Orange Sim (and Rebel) and put in the O2 sim i had and then I was able to change the settings.

If this works then just put the Orange settings in while on O2, it will warn you about losing your data connection but just press OK then put your orange sim back in.
    Hi Adam, I recently bought an unlocked German Pre 1.4.0 and got it activated on Vodafone Germany whilst on holiday from Ghana. I am using my Pre on a local network (Zain). I have voice and can receive but can't send text, also no internet due to probs with manual APN settings, Any work around? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi GuyfromNam,

I indeed checked and my carrier is not in the Pre's carrier Database. Following instructions from the thread I created a new record and input settings from my carrier in both carrier settings and data connections table with the Id as the common link between the two. It doesnt seem to work however, not even sms even though I have the right smscNumber for my network. I don't know if apnId regionName and mod_num are important and I would appreciate any help from more experienced hackers. I have followed the Pre since CES 2008 and buying and using it whilst in Germany was a fulfilling experience. not being able to use its awesome capabilities back in Ghana is really putting a dampner on my Geekiness.