Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    German unlocked QWERTZ on Virgin Mobile UK with 103 apps visible over WiFi or 3G - none to buy yet though
    For what it is worth I had 103 today as well on O2 UK. 73 was several days ago for me.
    Now 104
    Quote Originally Posted by screamindemonuk View Post
    Well im counting 73 apps on 02 network in uk. Im getting quite annoyed that there is so few apps available compared to being on sprint in USA. No sat nav or anything. Hopefully things will work out in the end.........
    weird I've got 103 on O2
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Since Palm now "officially" confirmed that the app store is associated with the SIM origin from where you activated the Pre (App Catalog Unavailable after upgrade to webos 1.3.1 - Palm Services for webOS - Palm Support Community) I was wondering the following.

I assume this is a settings somewhere set in the webos, like for instance the APN settings, or your Palm Profile details. Wouldn't it be possible to just edit this setting (in a similar way as the 1.1.3 APN db hack)??

What I'm actually hoping is that some webos internal guys can do some research on this. I'd rather re-enable my app catalog this way, than (meta)doctor my phone or overwrite the app catalog files.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    well, the good news is that i now see some more apps every day. some say in their description that they are only for the us, for instance Spaz, but i can download them and they work fine. will prolly be good soon
    A nice round 110 on my o2 UK pre.

I wonder if the supposed release of 1.3.5 by the end of the year will bring paid apps to Europe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zischke View Post
    A nice round 110 on my o2 UK pre.

I wonder if the supposed release of 1.3.5 by the end of the year will bring paid apps to Europe?
    That's what I'm hoping but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalild View Post
    That's what I'm hoping but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't need a firware release just some tweaks to the actual catalogue. Could be wrong though, it may need something to handle currency translations but the few examples people have given seem to suggest this already works.
    They probably just need to enable the preferences menu and remove the filtering server side.
    We know the infrastructure to convert the currencies and detect your home currency is there, from people who got that version on doctored pres.
    Hmm - I am in Denmark with a German Pre (QWERTZ) with a danish sim.. i get a "App Catalog unavailable - try agian later" message when i fire up the app store..
    I am on newest WebOS versionn (1.3.1)
    .....We know the infrastructure to convert the currencies and detect your home currency is there, from people who got that version on doctored pres.
    I searched but could not find a reference to this knowledge. Where is this 'we know' information? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janik_dk View Post
    Hmm - I am in Denmark with a German Pre (QWERTZ) with a danish sim.. i get a "App Catalog unavailable - try agian later" message when i fire up the app store..
    I am on newest WebOS versionn (1.3.1)
    Hi Janik,

I'm from Denmark as well. I also have a German Pre. I have exactly the same issue Palm has locked us out. You need an "official" Pre SIM card to activate your phone with the valid information. An alternative is to take a Turbo SIM card with cloned information, then your local Telecompanies SIM card and activate the phone that way. Else you will end up with this issue. At least this is what I can read from the forums. There are many other people like you and me who are stuck here. It really sucks and makes our phone "yet another ordinary cell phone". If anyone else have another suggestion on how to make the App Catalog available for us, the don't hesitate to write

- RasmusJV, Denmark @ TDC/Telmore Cell Network
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick99999 View Post
    I searched but could not find a reference to this knowledge. Where is this 'we know' information? Thanks.
    In this thread! since some people who have bypassed activation are seeing paid apps in their local currency.
    Is it possible we ask someone from Europe who has an O2 account to create a Palm Profile for us with their sim card and then we use the profile with our own sim card in our own country.

Will that work?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I think it's not the profile, is it. if you re-activate, with a German O2 SIM, still using the same Palm Profile, it will also work, if I read correctly here?

I just hope we can edit the "activated via network XYZ" on the fly on our pre. This is a(nother) plea to the webos internal guys...
    They probably just need to enable the preferences menu and remove the filtering server side.
    We know the infrastructure to convert the currencies and detect your home currency is there, from people who got that version on doctored pres.
    Urmm, we actually do not know that. Heres why;

Look at the screenshots the OP posted, for example, tetris is 6.99?! Then look at the proper working US App Catalog, that also shows tetris at $6.99, can you see whats hapenning here? Now unless EA thinks they can take us for mugs, then the only thing different is the currency symbol.

If there was currency conversion taking place you would see that reflected in the total price, but it does not, so hence, were back to square one
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Urmm, we actually do not know that. Heres why;

Look at the screenshots the OP posted, for example, tetris is 6.99?! Then look at the proper working US App Catalog, that also shows tetris at $6.99, can you see whats hapenning here? Now unless EA thinks they can take us for mugs, then the only thing different is the currency symbol.

If there was currency conversion taking place you would see that reflected in the total price, but it does not, so hence, were back to square one
    yeah they probably have the coversion rate set to 1:1 because its not in use yet. Just the fact that it shows different currencies means the infrastructure is probably there. Although I admit "we know" is a bit strong, should have been we can guess.
    Hmm fair point guys, though one things for sure, i certainly wont be buying tetris at 6.99 . Also the Developers of certain apps have said that they have not submitted a paid version for EU distribution, nor is their an option for that matter of fact, though this was a while back, so cant really comment what palms submission page is like.

Heres hoping the 1.3.5 maybe allows paid apps for GSM regions, well they are removing the app limit so its not so far-fetched, maybe...
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    LOL

About the currencies. I think it is just the regional settings applied to the (unexpected, not supposed to be there) paid apps in the catalog. For those with an app catalog that shows paid apps, just play around with your location and I am quite convinced the currency sign changes with you and the amount doesn't...
    I have metadoctored german 1.3.1 .. My App Catalog is 1.0.0 (Launcher -> Lits apps) That must be some sort of mistake, right? It works though but i think i'm getting old builds..

What would be the easiest way to update App Catalog to 1.1.3 ?
    Last edited by cochiloco; 12/22/2009 at 07:51 AM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast