Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    [13:16] … says: i wondered when paid apps will become available in the UK app catolog. Also why has the number of apps available gone DOWN since the 1.31 update?!
    [13:16] R. Macet says: As regards your question, we don't know why paid applications are not available and we don't know when there will be. However, as it is recent update, we are still looking into this type of problems.
    [13:18] … says: so this is a europe-wide issue, and yet it is not deliberate? are you saying that Palm intended paid apps to be availible in the UK with this update, and it is a 'mistake'?
    [13:19] R. Macet says: No, it's not a mistake. We will have updates on the following days as we don't manage that information.
    [13:22] … says: do you expect paid apps and the ability to add credit card details to be available soon?
    [13:23] R. Macet says: We don't know that for sure, sir.
    [13:25] …says: and do you know why the number of free apps available has gone down, and when this will be rectified?
    [13:29] R. Macet says: Because Third Party Developers have not yet created versions that are compatible with the new Web OS version.
    [13:29] … says: why was this not an issue in the US then?
    [13:31] R. Macet says: Because, third party developers created versions that were compatible with v. 1.3.1
    [13:32] … says: But that is the same version as we have in UK now? So I do not understand why the apps are not available here?
    [13:33] R. Macet says: No, US is running v. 1.2.1.
    [13:34] … says: According to the web v1.31 was released in the US on 14th Nov, the day before the Pixi released
    [13:35] … says: They have had no problems with apps. and the ability to add credit card details to the app catalogue was created with v1.21 which had been released in late September
    [13:36] R. Macet says: Yes, but Third Party Developers have not done this yet for the UK.
    [13:36] … says: So surely for us to have proper parity with the US (as Palm had said they wanted) we should have had the ability to add card details to pay for apps as Americans have had for a long time
    [13:37] … says: I understand that compatible apps have to be created by developers, but my question is why have Palm not enabled the ability to view or purchase paid apps yet in the UK? Americans have been able to do this since late September, and it seems like Palm have lsot interest in the smaller UK market
    R. Macet says: Unfortunately, I do not have that information as I am not on the position to know about this yet. If you'd like, you can complain to Palm at the following address.
    [13:42] R. Macet says: Palm Europe Ltd.
    [13:42] R. Macet says: 59-60 Thames Street. Windsor Berks
    [13:43] R. Macet says: SL4 1TX
    [13:43] R. Macet says: United Kingdom.
    [13:44] R. Macet says: I apologize on behalf of Palm, sir.
    [13:44] ... says: ok thank you
    [13:44] You have ended the session.
    Is part of the problem not the fact that developers choose which markets they are releasing apps into ? It seems to me that Palm put in place a mechanism to filter by location which wasn't properly implemented in the earlier releases.

Personally - I'm all for the filtering as I have little/not use for street maps of New York here in soggy Darlington.

What we need is for some apps to be released for Europe rather than the US.
    Does anyone know if there's a way to transfer downloaded apps from the Pre to the PC as a safeguard in case Palm decide to deny us them again.

Gx
    Just had a reply from SplashData about the (un)availability of SplashID outside the US now.

Thanks for contacting us.

Unfortunately, Palm does not offer a paid app catalog outside the US at this time. Until they do, we cannot distribute SplashID internationally. I hope they will set this up soon, at least for major countries like the UK.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

So it seems they are unable to publish beyond the US now that paid apps are up. If this is correct then the ball is firmly in Palm's court and not the developers.
    Many of the apps were free versions, the developers themselves have stated they will not allow the free version of the apps into the EU catalog until the paid version can also be distributed there (Makes sense).

So its the onus is on both, but more on Palm. The developers need to enable access to these apps but this will only happen when palm allows access to paid apps.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    All I get is "App Catalog is not available now.. Try again later" any one else with the same message?

- RasmusJV
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Many of the apps were free versions, the developers themselves have stated they will not allow the free version of the apps into the EU catalog until the paid version can also be distributed there (Makes sense).

So its the onus is on both, but more on Palm. The developers need to enable access to these apps but this will only happen when palm allows access to paid apps.
    In the case of SplashID the free version is/was exactly the same as the version now being charged for in the US so you can understand why they don't want to publish it for free outside the US. The US customers might get just a little upset!

That said, SplashData clearly said that without paid apps they 'cannot distribute SplashID internationally' so either they are being disengenuous or there is a technical limitation on sending paid apps in one region with the same app free elsewhere. At least 90/10 in Palm's court unless SpashData are lying.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I laughed at the "the US is running 1.2.1" part.
    There are currently 2 apps which I can't update because when I try I'm told the application catalog is unavailable but other apps update fine.
    Is one of those Sports Calendar?
    It's funny how everyone is getting a different apps count My UK QWERTY Pre is set to Czech / Czech Republic (custom locale based on English, not in the stock firmware) and the App catalog shows 101 apps. None of them are paid.
    Last edited by czechdev; 12/01/2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: clarification
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    well. me, in romania i see 66 apps now. none paid ofcourse. german pre unlocked.
    I own two Pre´s. in the first one I downloaded the classic while I was in WEBOS old version Then y deleted (stupid thing !), and try again..and classic disappeared from app catalog.
    In pre number two, I first downloaded the WEBOS 1.3.1, then I searched for the classic app, and it was there...
    It´s seems to me that reset the pre with doctor is a chance to download it again
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    So, if I get this straight, to get the app catalog working again I have 3 options?

- Overwrite 1.3.1 app catalog files with 1.1.3 files
    - Webdoctor and activate with supported O2 SIM?
    - Meta-doctor 1.3.1 and skip activation

The 3rd option seems the most tempting, but does webdoctoring force you to change the app space to 2GB or is that an option. And is there a risk that webOS updates don't work on a meta doctored Pre?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    Is part of the problem not the fact that developers choose which markets they are releasing apps into ? It seems to me that Palm put in place a mechanism to filter by location which wasn't properly implemented in the earlier releases.

Personally - I'm all for the filtering as I have little/not use for street maps of New York here in soggy Darlington.

What we need is for some apps to be released for Europe rather than the US.
    No problem with filtering either as long as can rule over it myself by changing a setting in preferences from ON to OFF. For instance, if you are about to travel you might want to check if there are special apps available for that location so adding a New York app before you actually get there might be a nice thing.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    My app catalogue is sitting at 103 free apps,although about half are handy if you live in the USofA.(WHICH I DO NOT!)
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    So, if I get this straight, to get the app catalog working again I have 3 options?

- Overwrite 1.3.1 app catalog files with 1.1.3 files
    - Webdoctor and activate with supported O2 SIM?
    - Meta-doctor 1.3.1 and skip activation

The 3rd option seems the most tempting, but does webdoctoring force you to change the app space to 2GB or is that an option. And is there a risk that webOS updates don't work on a meta doctored Pre?

I would say that if you metadoctor and then there is an update.. you can always use the "normal" doctor to put there the "original" 1.3.1 and then update to a newer version and then again metadoctor?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    @chrismnash: You are that kind of person all support people hate. He clearly told you that he has no clue and you go on asking over and over again. seriously, why?
    Well im counting 73 apps on 02 network in uk. Im getting quite annoyed that there is so few apps available compared to being on sprint in USA. No sat nav or anything. Hopefully things will work out in the end.........
    German unlocked QWERTZ on Virgin Mobile UK with 103 apps visible over WiFi or 3G - none to buy yet though
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast