1.    #1  
    I have read different places on the net that turning WIFI on plus setting mail to sync "as item arrive" should give you more battery life.

Can anyone confirm this and how can it be then ?
    As Item's arrive will not considering it will constantly check for items, though the actual idea is to just wait for the inbox to alert your phone of a new mail item which theoretically should help ever having to check for mail, but turning on WiFi might. It's because the EVDO signal demands more power while the Wifi is relatively low. That and you don't risk having the phone constantly search for a strong signal.

You should probably read this for the best battery saving tips:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ps-tricks.html
    Yes, both will help. I have one email account to "as items arrive" and my home one to "manual". I keep WiFi and GPS on all the time, and average about 2% battery drain when minimally using it. If I leave IM on, I lose about 6-8% per hour - pretty acceptable, considering I'm running on all cylinders.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    As items arrive will help with batter life issues as the phone isn't checking for anything but reciving notification of the new e-mails. However if you receive 20 e-mails every hour (which I'm assuming most people don't) this can actually have the opisite effect, because the phone is alerting you to all these new e-mails every time a new one arrives. If this is your case then checking every 30 minutes might be a better idea.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the feedback

I have now set my email to "as item arrive", turned off IM, turned off Where Is My Pre (as it didn't work anyway) and we'll see how the day will go tomorrow.
    Won't use WIFI instead of my data connection as the WIFI at school requires u to log on inside the browser every time u has been disconnected !
  6.    #6  
    hmmm, its been on for 1.5 hour and is already down on 90 % !!!!!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jvvpc View Post
    hmmm, its been on for 1.5 hour and is already down on 90 % !!!!!
    My pre seems to hate the top 10% of its battery, but otherwise will last a good while idling, especially after installing the power saving patch.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Catdaemon View Post
    power saving patch.
    Do elaborate...
  9.    #9  
    yeah im on 69 % now 3.5 hour since last post.

Where can i find that patch ? have been searching..
    as items arrive drains the battery because the phone is constantly polling the email account , set it at 1 or 3 or manuel . Of course manuel is the best .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by jvvpc View Post
    yeah im on 69 % now 3.5 hour since last post.

Where can i find that patch ? have been searching..
    your looking for the smartreflex patch 500 will give the best battery life. Use the one that says dangerous lol . The other one says obsolete.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    as items arrive drains the battery because the phone is constantly polling the email account , set it at 1 or 3 or manuel . Of course manuel is the best .
    It's not constantly polling - It works the other way round. The mail server notifies you of arrivals instead of you checking. I believe this is usually called push or something. Here we go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Do elaborate...
    Find the smartreflex 500mhz patch under the dangerous category in preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catdaemon View Post
    It's not constantly polling - It works the other way round. The mail server notifies you of arrivals instead of you checking. I believe this is usually called push or something. Here we go: Push e-mail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    But it can only do that if you maintain a connection to the network. If your connection drops, it has to be re-established immediately - so in low signal strength areas, Pre will work harder trying to get the network.

On manual or timed pull it only tries to connect to the network when it needs to.

ISTR a similar discussion around Centro and others. My experience was that timed collection always gave better battery life for the reasons I give above. Of course, YMMV.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    But it can only do that if you maintain a connection to the network. If your connection drops, it has to be re-established immediately - so in low signal strength areas, Pre will work harder trying to get the network.
    I installed the data toggle patch and use wi-fi so that when my phone is in standby, the wi-fi stays connected and doesn't hunt around for a signal in low signal areas
    if you switch off data completely your battery will last days! but that defeats the purpose
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I only switch data off when at home because I have no 3G coverage and poor signal (2-3 bars). I probably aught to add that mobile phones have to be turned off when I'm at work.