Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Don't get me wrong, loved the Pre the moment I saw it. But, I bought the Pixi for my Dad, reasoning that he is never going to use the 4g on it, a 2.0 mp camera is better than the no-camera he had before, and he is used to a candy bar style phone. It also seems a little tougher and I have heard it's a real workhorse, power-wise.

So, I played with it and, despite the smaller drive, camera and screen, I can see the definite appeal. I might even sell mine off and get it.

I've heard the arguments that the Pre is a work horse vs the Pixi being a newbie phone. But, I heard the same thing about the Treo vs the Centro, and the Centro was MUCH faster than the Treo, it was just smaller so hand size came into play.

I do a lot. I make calls, text, send/receive emails, take pics, check the web, and use some productivity apps and internet radio (occasionally). But, I'm not an online gamer or anything that would require a lot of resource usage.

It just seems more solid and easier to use.

I don't know...
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    If you getting the Pixi because you don't like the build of the pre and don't mind not having wi-fi support then go ahead. I think the pre is stronger though and I heard some apps don't work as well on the pixi, different screen resolutions/sizes. Most apps may have already been updated.
    I would check out some comparison articles.
    I considered it until I found out there was no wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    I considered it until I found out there was no wifi.
    why is that such a big deal? do you really spend that much time at Starbucks or what?
    I now own both a Pre and a Pixi. There are two things keeping me from using the Pixi as my everyday phone: Camera and WiFi.

If the camera in the Pixi was the same quality as the Pre, it would have BETTER low light performance than the Pre. The 2 vs 3 megapixels means nothing to me. The Pre is a more sensitive camera and better for that reason.

Our home is right on the edge of EVDO and 1xRTT. WiFi is what the Pre craves at home. The Pixi is OK, without it.

If the Pixi didn't have one of these two weaknesses, I would switch. The screen size and processor speed aren't really as big of a factor as I expected. And the battery life of the Pixi beats my Pre.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    why is that such a big deal? do you really spend that much time at Starbucks or what?
    OS updates take MUCH longer over EVDO. I'd say that's a pretty big deal.
    Because wifi is faster..I use it everywhere its available.

or what.
    wifi makes all the difference.
    1. uses less battery
    2. faster
    3. You don't always have an evdo signal
    4. updates are faster

I live in the city and I still covet the wifi of the pre. I will never buy another phone without it.
    Philadelphia, murder capital of the world
    updates, fine, but why use ANY phone at home to browse when odds are there is a computer right there?
    updates, fine, but why use ANY phone at home to browse when odds are there is a computer right there?
    Cause it's too clumsy to take the desktop or even the laptop into the bathroom when you know you're gonna have to sit there a while
    what if your not home? c'mon CHUD theres wireless everywhere now. its just more effecient. what do you do if you need to make a bank transfer to your debit card and your in a place with no evdo but theres wifi and your stuck with a pixi. (btw since you seem like you will argue this i'll say its late and the bank is already closed)
  12.    #12  
    Lack of WiFi has been an issue for folks before. I don't use WiFi any more than I absolutely have to, mostly because EVDO (even 1xRTT) is (supposed to be) faster and more efficient. And, I admit, it really bugs me that that the Pre has such a weak radio that it craps out in my house, and drops calls at key points throughout town. My Treos almost always got great reception (even in the house), and, when they didn't, it was network problems. To me, the phone "craving WiFi" is a crutch for it's "REAL" radio not doing it's job.

So, getting back to the Pixi, no, I don't care about WiFi, because I expect the EVDO to do it's job and would rather make it do so than give it a crutch. I like the amazing form factor of the Pixi, and the idea of going back to incredible battery life. The slightly smaller screen, processor and camera are not issues for me.

That said, I will give my Dad his Pixi and show him my Pre. If he likes it better, maybe I will trade, or maybe I will just tell him where to go to upgrade it within 30 days.
    I think the WiFi issue is largely dependent on where you are. I'm in CT, where I would have to struggle to find a place that doesn't have EVDO service; however, I realize that there are areas of the country where that isn't the case. In those areas, WiFi is likely far more important.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by templeghg22 View Post
    what if your not home? c'mon CHUD theres wireless everywhere now. its just more effecient. what do you do if you need to make a bank transfer to your debit card and your in a place with no evdo but theres wifi and your stuck with a pixi. (btw since you seem like you will argue this i'll say its late and the bank is already closed)
    im not arguing for the sake of arguing TEMPLEGHG!

im also not saying it isnt nice to have the option of wifi.

i just find it odd that one would be in an area with no 3G data coverage, but still be in an area tech savvy enough to offer wifi.

free wifi is hardly "everywhere."
    I wouldn't trade in my Pre for a Pixi. I prefer what Pre brings to the table.

And I completely understand the target audience of the Pixi, but I feel like I would have to turn in my "Man Card" if I owned something called "Pixi." (No offense to you fellas out there that own one...)
    well I am in fact in one of those "tech savy places" about 5 hours a day. Its called university. I receive regular reception but no evdo most of the time. How can I kill time and argue with you during a 2.5 hr lecture? WIFI!!! Wooooo
    Wifi is faster and is a benefit. When not in a good Sprint area, it may be your only option to do updates. Only way to do data and voice at same time.

But having wifi also allows wifi tethering (if that ever gets fixed). Wifi syncing if you use one of those 3rd party apps.

If none of that really matters to you, then wifi wouldn't be much of a deal. Everyone has different wants/needs.
  18. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, loved the Pre the moment I saw it. But, I bought the Pixi for my Dad, reasoning that he is never going to use the 4g on it, a 2.0 mp camera is better than the no-camera he had before, and he is used to a candy bar style phone. It also seems a little tougher and I have heard it's a real workhorse, power-wise.

So, I played with it and, despite the smaller drive, camera and screen, I can see the definite appeal. I might even sell mine off and get it.

I've heard the arguments that the Pre is a work horse vs the Pixi being a newbie phone. But, I heard the same thing about the Treo vs the Centro, and the Centro was MUCH faster than the Treo, it was just smaller so hand size came into play.

I do a lot. I make calls, text, send/receive emails, take pics, check the web, and use some productivity apps and internet radio (occasionally). But, I'm not an online gamer or anything that would require a lot of resource usage.

It just seems more solid and easier to use.

I don't know...
    It all depends on how you use your phone. From what you've described your usage habits to, the Pixi would be great for you so long as you're willing to accept the decrease in screen size.
  19.    #19  
    Of course... it COULD just be that it's cool and I bore too easily. I won't likely switch unless my Dad really wants to trade. I like the Pixi, but I don't care enough to sell my Pre in order to buy it. Plus, the rebate goes: $399 less $200 instant rebate, less $100 mail in rebate. Since I am not eligible for any more discounts, I would have to sell my used Pre for $400 in order to buy a Pixi. Not sure I see that happening.

So, again, either Dad wants to trade or I am cursed to walk the earth with a Pre! "You, Ebenezer, can avoid my fate. Tonight, you will be visited by 3 ghostly Sprint reps..." sorry. The holidays are coming.
    Wifi is a deal breaker. Theres a reason most phones have it. The #1 option in my book. I would not even look at a phone if it didnt have wifi.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast