Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I snapped a few pictures today and plugged my pre into my laptop to grab them. Upon doing this I was not asked which type of connection I was trying to establish. The phone simply started charging without adding the "charging" notification along the botttom of the screen essentailly making it impossible to conect the device in usb mode. I tried a reset and it didnt fix anything. I know there is a patch out there that will set "just charge" as default but I have not installed it and even went into preware to confirm it wasnt accidentaly added. I tried searching here but wasnt able to find any info. Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Have you tried a remove battery reset?
    Have you tried a different USB cable?
    Have you tried a car charger?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    yes
    no (this one is working to charge the phone)
    no (use the same usb cable)
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I've seen about 10 USB cables have partial failures. Usually the USB works and the charge doesn't.
    Just because the car charger uses the same cable doesn't eliminate the need for troubleshooting. What does it tell you if it fails in the car too? More importantly, what does it tell you if it works right in the car?

I suggest taking it to a Sprint store and try plugging it in with their chargers and cords. If it works, you know your phone is good. Then you'll have to eliminate whether it is the cable or the charging source.

I know of almost no tips or tricks to bring this one symptom back to life if it is indeed a bad phone. My gut tells me it's not a bad phone unless you've done something to it that hasn't been mentioned. I would probably remove all tweaks and try the webos repair utility and if that didn't work, the doctor. I think I've read about forcing the phone into USB mode. Maybe that would cycle things back to normal.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Even stranger: I am currently at work and running 2 different pcs. The first (the one I have always used to charge the pre since June) is a hp laptop, and the second is a hp desktop. Since the phone was acting strange when plugged into the laptop I decided to plug it into the desktop and boom, it prompts for the selection. Really strange. I also noticed that even though the small lightning bolt icon was present when plugged into the laptop that it was not charging. Maybe work pushed down a java update or something that mucked with the phone.... But end result: SAme phone, Same cable, differnet pc, all is working...
    do you have any patches installed? there is a patch that allows the phone to go straight to charge. Maybe you installed it, and forgot that you did.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH613 View Post
    ...I know there is a patch out there that will set "just charge" as default but I have not installed it and even went into preware to confirm it wasnt accidentaly added....
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Yep, a lightning bolt on the icon does not verify the phone is charging. If you really want to study USB wiring, you'll learn what's happening.

I suspect your laptop has a USB config issue. I'm so happy that I have a Mac and don't worry about Win stuff anymore. Somehow, I think if you delete enough USB config settings so that the laptop sees a completely new device when you hook it up, it will start working normal again. See your local Win-geek for details.
    This happens when the drivers are not set up right in your computer, so it just defaults to charge mode only.
    Try from a different computer, or try installing the Mojo SDK so that it installs all the drivers