Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 309
  1.    #1  
    Because somebody fed what they thought was a troll last week or so, the original thread with this title got closed.
    The thread was really quite active, but got cut short.
    So, needless to say (if it's needless to say, why did i say it?), i would like to encourage further discussion on this topic (with no flames, trolls or troll feeding) because it was going pretty nicely.
    So: Do you think that (for the most part) people are tweaking, patching or homebrewing their PrPrPr&#$275$; $ONLY$ $BECAUSE$ $they$ $feel$ $the$ $phone$ $does$ $not$ $meet$ $their$ $expectations$ $and$ $they$ $need$ $to$? $Or$ $is$ $it$ $because$ $they$ $just$ $like$ $to$ $fiddle$ $with$ $gadgets$ $and$ $enjoy$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$; $specifically$ $for$ $that$ $reason$?
  2. #2  
    Why can't it be both??

    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    So: Do you think that (for the most part) people are tweaking, patching or homebrewing their PrPrPr&#$275$; $ONLY$ $BECAUSE$ $they$ $feel$ $the$ $phone$ $does$ $not$ $meet$ $their$ $expectations$ $and$ $they$ $need$ $to$? $Or$ $is$ $it$ $because$ $they$ $just$ $like$ $to$ $fiddle$ $with$ $gadgets$ $and$ $enjoy$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$; $specifically$ $for$ $that$ $reason$?
  3. #3  
    yea why can't I tweak for fun and function. There isn't a phone out that I wouldn't be doing this to for both reasons.
  4. #4  
    It'd have to be worthwhile to do the tweaks. And it is. That's the draw. Once you know how, then it becomes fun.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Why can't it be both??
    It could be, i'm not denying that. I just wonder which group would have more people.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/24/2009 at 11:35 AM.
  6. #6  
    Originally I installed preware because I could no longer stand the loud dialer pad, the loud beeping in my ear, the lack of led notifications, not being able to force month view in the calendar, etc..

    So basically I did it to make the phone work like it should have worked when I bought it, but I am happy with the extra patches which were not necessary but do come in handy also.

    So I enjoy fiddling but would not be if the phone worked out of the box!!!!
  7. #7  
    I'll be honest, at this point, I don't have a single tweak/patch/homebrew app on my phone, I haven't even put it in Dev Mode again, so what began with me using less homebrew, has turned into me using no homebrew. 1.3.1 has pushed the Pre closer to feeling like a final release OS, instead of the beta feel it used to have. It's still not perfect, but I don't feel the need to patch anymore, and have the functionality I want from the phone.
  8. #8  
    I am throwing in with the latter. I feel the Pre has a lot of potential and it is exciting to be a part of the community that is causing that potential to be realized. Out-of-the-box, the Pre met my needs sufficiently, and it wasn't until I started patching and installing homebrew that I realized what was missing. Granted, I don't think anyone here would have complained if Pre launched with the features that have been added through homebrew, but being able to customize the phone to your specific needs is pretty neat.
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
  9. Flur's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #9  
    I patch because I came to the Pre from a Blackberry, which allowed quite a bit of customization. The Pre has almost no customization options without patching. I was a happy camper with only a handful of patches with 1.2.1, but then Palm had to come out with 1.3.1 and screw everything up for me. So now I'm learning to custom patch the darn thing just so I can have a phone that works like it should out of the box.

    I guess that puts me in the unhappy group. But if I was really, really unhappy I could just go back to my crackberry, and I haven't done that yet. I'm kinda having fun learning how to fiddle with the code, which I guess makes me a geek too.
  10. NxTech3's Avatar
    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    #10  
    yea i do it for fun and function, there are some patches that add functionality to the device but at the same time its fun to "root".
  11. #11  
    This thread is worded perjoratively (much like the last one). When you say "does not meet their expectations", that is much more negative than the reality (for many of us, possibly even most of us). That, coupled with the only second choice, makes for a pretty negative context.

    I'll give an example. Windows meets my expectations. I'd like for it to be better in some areas, but it meets my expectations.

    However, one of the very first things I do is change my background screen. Is this a "tweak"? Well, it's not a background that comes with the OS, so I think it would qualify; however, a skeptic would say the system is designed to do that. I would respond that the Pre is designed to be open enough to allow the tweaks that are done to it.

    But then, I download programs that are not produced by Microsoft, and in many cases, are not even commercial programs (some even break the "rules" laid down by MS). Would those compare to HomeBrew?

    I'm even experienced and bold enough (or maybe it's naive and stupid enough) to go in an make registry changes. That would most certainly compare to tweaks that are done to the WebOS.

    So, do all of these things reflect a dissatisfaction with Windows? More importantly, do they reflect some soft of failure on the part of Microsoft?

    In my case, they do not. They are a part of what the OS does. You buy the basic OS, then you add software to it, some offered by Microsoft, others not offered by Microsoft. All of them add additional functionality (and please, before someone chimes in about the "lame" whatever... please not MS included a text editor, but I use a commercial one that is better, and they include a document editor, which most of us replace with a much more expensive version).

    I would be happy with my Pre even if it had none of the tweaks or HomeBrew add-on; however, having those definitely increases my enjoyment of the device.

    Most importantly; for me, for this device - the Pre gives me an open enough platform to satisfy both the "want add-ons that I don't have to write" and the "let me get in and play with it some" sides of me. No other device that I've seen worked as well for me.
  12.    #12  
    @hparsons: Thanx for the time that you spent to write all that, but i think your slightly missing the point.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    @hparsons: Thanx for the time that you spent to write all that, but i think your slightly missing the point.
    Well, I think I got your point, and I think you missed mine (and that of some of the others).

    Your categories are too narrow. I don't fit either. I didn't by the Pre because of its tweakability; heck, the tweaks weren't available when I bought it (June 6) - so I don't fit the latter category.

    Nor do I fit the former category, as the device would be useful to me without the tweaks.

    They just add to it.

    I can't help but feel that you are trying to define only those two categories, as that would make it "simple" to say "Folks who tweak and homebrew are either dissatisfied, or are gadget geeks, and most of them are xxxxxx";

    But it just ain't that simple.

    As a matter of fact, I've seen several, right here on this forum, move from casual phone user to gadget geek well after getting the Pre, because of it's ease of access.
  14. #14  
    I patch because I can.

    I was very happy with my Pre before I even knew I had the option of homebrew apps and patches/tweaks... now I'm just more happy with it.
  15. #15  
    I WAS an unhappy user of another phone: the samsung f480. It is such a bad device! The touchscreen responds randomly most of the time or not at all. If you scroll down the contact list, find the one you looked for and took the finger away it continued to scroll down to the last entry and called it (I had to put my own home number as the last entry starting with "z" to not disturb my boss all the time, because his number was the last one). Or sometimes at night the radio went on, at 03:00! It has no official updates and the ones you can find overthere in some forum make things not better. There are no addons, no apps, no fun. I hated it!

    So I was looking for a new one. At first I looked at the iphone. But it turned out that it is more of a big brother device than a phone. And way too expensive. And too large. The next one I looked at was the HTC Hero. It's pretty nice but way too large for me either.

    Then I found the Pre. I went on to the palm website and discovered the emulator. Installed it and cried loud out: whoo, what a piece of lovely interface! And it is a palm. What do I need to say else? I had a palm some years ago and loved it. So I said to myself: Here are the masters of this planet when it comes to handheld devices, they added a phone to it, a camera and they switched to linux.

    So - I bought it. Period.

    Today I have installed lots of patches and homebrew apps, I can ssh into it, damn, I have screen on it! Screen! Hell! I just love it. It works AND makes fun.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Well, I think I got your point, and I think you missed mine (and that of some of the others).

    Your categories are too narrow. I don't fit either. I didn't by the Pre because of its tweakability; heck, the tweaks weren't available when I bought it (June 6) - so I don't fit the latter category.

    Nor do I fit the former category, as the device would be useful to me without the tweaks.

    They just add to it.

    I can't help but feel that you are trying to define only those two categories, as that would make it "simple" to say "Folks who tweak and homebrew are either dissatisfied, or are gadget geeks, and most of them are xxxxxx";

    But it just ain't that simple.

    As a matter of fact, I've seen several, right here on this forum, move from casual phone user to gadget geek well after getting the Pre, because of it's ease of access.
    HParsons, I'm not trying to paint anybody into one corner or the other. I'm certainly not calling a certain group "xxxxxx" lol . You're assuming on that one (I'm expecting an apology, and i'm standing here with my foot tapping and my arms crossed, waiting for it.)
    Anybody can answer any way they feel to answer. The choices i provided are not written in stone.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/24/2009 at 03:51 PM.
  17. #17  
    lets clean these threads up people if you in any way feel that somebody is attacking you click the red triangle shape next to the green light under their name and report them, let the moderators decide who is stirring things up on these threads and get them out of here!!!
  18. #18  
    I think it's definitely both. No single implementation is going to make everyone happy--you're always going to have people that want to tweak and change little things here and there (or big things as the case may be).

    The openness of the platform definitely helps this, and I'm sure it has convinced many a curious or bored developer to play with it and see what they could do.

    Now, I do think that some of the tweaks fix functionality that should eventually be included by Palm in the base OS--some of the tweaks have seen very widespread adoption (LED notifications, etc). But many, or even most of them, are probably a combination of someone being curious about the platform and seeing something small they could fix or tweak with.
  19. #19  
    I was an unhappy pre owner here, I came over from the land of Windows mobile which allows users to change nearly every single aspect of the operating system out of the box, so after a week or so of owning my old htc I had exactly the phone I wanted.

    I spent the first week of pre ownership learning that I couldn't have the phone I wanted, that is until I discovered developer mode and custom tweaking.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    HParsons, I'm not trying to paint anybody into one corner or the other. I'm certainly not calling a certain group "xxxxxx" lol . You're assuming on that one (I'm expecting an apology, and i'm standing here with my foot tapping and my arms crossed, waiting for it.)
    Anybody can answer any way they feel to answer. The choices i provided are not written in stone.
    C'mon now, I pretty cleary stated that those were my thoughts. I think they're justifed - Two options, on a thread that leaves two categories - "Tweak Freeks, Geeks" or "Unhappy owners".

    I do take back the "xxxxxx", feel free to substitute "yyyyyy".



    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    lets clean these threads up people if you in any way feel that somebody is attacking you click the red triangle shape next to the green light under their name and report them, let the moderators decide who is stirring things up on these threads and get them out of here!!!
    Attacking??? What attack did you see? And why would we want to get anyone "out of here". A forum restricted to a particular viewpoint is pretty tedious...
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions