Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    : please feel free to move this to the calendar thread. Thanks.
    @SIVAN: Thank you for all your input on THIS thread, i know you and HParsons have been at it all day (and night), here, and on that other thread. But please, do not tell the mods to feel free to move my thread.. when you two are the ones using this thread for your private argument about the calendar.
    When i slightly changed the subject on your thread about the 'bounce lag' in scrolling, last week, you were very quick to come on and tell me to keep your thread on-topic.. and i said 'ok', with no questions asked.
    Sorry
  3.    #143  
    Sorry
    Thanx. I know that sometimes it can get heated, so thanks.
    on a lighter side...my replacement pre is ready. I pick it up tomorrow This centro is feeling like an Atari......at first it was nostalgic....now its simply annoying! And now back to the fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  5.    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    on a lighter side...my replacement pre is ready. I pick it up tomorrow This centro is feeling like an Atari......at first it was nostalgic....now its simply annoying! And now back to the fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wow... Atari. I really do miss it...

Oh wait, i almost got off my own topic.. heh heh.
    As Mr. L. Punk said: "Now back to the fight!!"
    I didn't see anyone mentioning rights, I think you're exaggerating and the quotes are a giveaway as usual.
    That emphasis was mine, and the use of "right" was mine. You act as if you have a right to demand something of Palm. My point was that you do not.

I don't, but I also didn't describe it in any detail that presumes to know.
    Sure you did. You keep claiming it's "limited". When in fact, you questioned me repeatedly - "have you used it in xyz situation". When all of my answers were affirmative, you then said that maybe I was more of a "power user" than you. Now you fall back on my "limited" use.

What do you disagree with? I asked a few times already if there is any reason for Palm not to address current deficiencies in the Calendar app. I have yet to hear a single reason why they should not do so.
    I'm sure there are many reasons. You see me refusing to engage in the discussion because you continue to repackage what I say, then attribute it to me.

You said that anyone expecting a reliable business device from Palm was foolish.
    Sorry man, you are delusional, lack comprehensive skills, or are simply lying, but I never said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    @SIVAN: Thank you for all your input on THIS thread, i know you and HParsons have been at it all day (and night), here, and on that other thread. But please, do not tell the mods to feel free to move my thread.. when you two are the ones using this thread for your private argument about the calendar.
    When i slightly changed the subject on your thread about the 'bounce lag' in scrolling, last week, you were very quick to come on and tell me to keep your thread on-topic.. and i said 'ok', with no questions asked.
    To be correct, I'm not discussing the calendar. I'm trying to get someone to cease with misrepresenting what I say. (I think almost all of his posts relate somehow, back to the calendar).
    Not to be off-topic, but here's my say.

When I got the phone I was impressed. Not just with the phone, but with what the sales rep said was "probably coming in the next system upgrade". I was so impressed, I got two of my friends and my boss to purchase Pre phones for themselves. This was back in June when the Pre was still new. Then another friend of mine got the Driod and the buyer's remorse set it.

Did the phone do everything I wanted "out of the box"? No. But I was looking forward to the upgrades and enhancements promised by Palm. Then I was excited by the apps becoming available in the homebrew section. A lot of really good apps being created by some very intelligent folks who love their Pre and wanted to make them even better. Come on, this is the "I want an app for this" age. And then I realized that the phone actually had some drawbacks that some of the homebrew stuff addressed, and some patches that added more "tweakability" to the phone...something as dumb as changing the ringer for the txt or killing the stupid beeps when dialing; stuff that should have just been built in when I bought the phone.

Now, barely 6 months in, and I'm on the phone with the Sprint folks trying to find a way to get rid of this thing and get an Andriod phone that actually DOES do the simple things I like. Believe it or not, something as dumb as a barcode scanner app that would help me at Christmas time to search for products and sales, or get the nutrition info on a product simply by scanning it, is apparently not even possible on this phone because the camera won't do it. Or using the Shazam app not being available beause for some stupid reason Palm decided not to allow access to the mic...which means no voice memos or voice dialing, a basic option on almost EVERY phone on the market.

So, do I tweak because I'm a geek? No, I tweak because I need to in order for the phone to do the basic changes that every phone should be able to do, like change the txt ringer or attach a photo to a sms messaage or end a call by sliding the phone shut or show the battery percentage. Do I do homebrew because I'm a geek? No, I do it because I need the phone to do stuff most other smart phone in this price range do, like a decent music player or get podcasts or install apps or read news or (god forbid) make a fart sound. I paid 300 bucks for a phone that 6 months later has a better model for $179 that actually does the neat stuff that "smart phones" are supposed to be able to do...

Palm created a Jaguar phone and put it in a Volkswagon Beetle body and then said, "Deal with it. We're done". So, As a result, I guess I fall into the category of Unhappy Pre Owners with a serious case of buyers remorse. Fortunately, I only have 6 more months to go before I can upgrade. And, believe me, I thought of just paying full price for a new phone and stuffing this one in the junk drawer with all my other outdated phones.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I usually don't get involved in this debate, but here's my two cents.

There are some people who buy a phone understanding the terms and accepting them. There are others who ignore these terms yet continue to feel entitled to theoretical features.

If a buyer feels that there are certain features that absolutely must be present from day one and they are not, return within 30 days. Do not wait to be satisfied. When you allow those 30 days to lapse you have pretty much said "I will take a gamble on this phone." You may be disappointed and that is fair, but you need to get over it and accept that you are not owed any features beyond what existed in that first 30 days.

My experience: Like the phone as is. Like tweaking the hell out of it. Still drool over the speed and app selection of the 3GS. Feel good that I'm saving a grand over the life of my contract. I doubt I'll ever look down at my Pre and think "hmm this thing just can't possibly do more!" Either way I knew EXACTLY what its capabilities were within that first month.
    Quote Originally Posted by sookibong View Post

There are some people who buy a phone understanding the terms and accepting them. There are others who ignore these terms yet continue to feel entitled to theoretical features.

If a buyer feels that there are certain features that absolutely must be present from day one and they are not, return within 30 days. Do not wait to be satisfied. When you allow those 30 days to lapse you have pretty much said "I will take a gamble on this phone." You may be disappointed and that is fair, but you need to get over it and accept that you are not owed any features beyond what existed in that first 30 days.

My experience: Like the phone as is. Like tweaking the hell out of it. Still drool over the speed and app selection of the 3GS. Feel good that I'm saving a grand over the life of my contract. I doubt I'll ever look down at my Pre and think "hmm this thing just can't possibly do more!" Either way I knew EXACTLY what its capabilities were within that first month.
    All of that! Thank you.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by sookibong View Post

I could agree if you qualified this to say, demanding a camcorder or 3D games. But there is a contingency of old time Palm users who expect the same level of functionality available on previous Palm OS devices. I don't know where you're coming from having joined the forum in June but I think you're blinded to that aspect.

Nobody has even mentioned the word "owed", just as you are not owed a forum of threads heaping praise on the Pre night and day. Deal with the criticism or skip it and be happy with your Pre.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I could agree if you qualified this to say, demanding a camcorder or 3D games. But there is a contingency of old time Palm users who expect the same level of functionality available on previous Palm OS devices. I don't know where you're coming from having joined the forum in June but I think you're blinded to that aspect.

Nobody has even mentioned the word "owed", just as you are not owed a forum of threads heaping praise on the Pre night and day. Deal with the criticism or skip it and be happy with your Pre.
    Then again, a calendar that would meed your standards may be as major an update as say..a 3d game or video recording.

Based on iphone and previous palm updates, i would only expect bug fixes or minor changes (similar to patches in the homebrew).

We've really no idea how Palm is planning to handle things in terms of major updates (the x.0.0 variety). Whether they're planning on an annual cycle like apple does or what. Will 2.0 come in June 2010 or November 2010 (Pixi anniversary). Maybe Palm has something (another form factor) else in mind for CES. Maybe it will simply be ready when its ready.
    Why are your expectations somehow more reasonable? (Please note, my old Palm OS device had a camcorder).
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Then again, a calendar that would meed your standards may be as major an update as say..a 3d game or video recording.

Based on iphone and previous palm updates, i would only expect bug fixes or minor changes (similar to patches in the homebrew).

We've really no idea how Palm is planning to handle things in terms of major updates (the x.0.0 variety). Whether they're planning on an annual cycle like apple does or what. Will 2.0 come in June 2010 or November 2010 (Pixi anniversary). Maybe Palm has something (another form factor) else in mind for CES. Maybe it will simply be ready when its ready.
    I think my world just fell apart. Cardfan and I agree on something, 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why are your expectations somehow more reasonable? (Please note, my old Palm OS device had a camcorder).
    I left the camcorder in just for you to ask

I think though that today's camcorders are taken to mean HD or in that ballpark, nothing like the old Centro or Treo, just as shipping a VGA or 1.2M camera would be laughed at today.

But as an old time Palm user I expect PIM functionality first. I am open to understanding technical limitations, but there aren't any. The features are just absent or dumbed down to toy like apps.
    I left the camcorder in just for you to ask

I think though that today's camcorders are taken to mean HD or in that ballpark, nothing like the old Centro or Treo, just as shipping a VGA or 1.2M camera would be laughed at today.

But as an old time Palm user I expect PIM functionality first. I am open to understanding technical limitations, but there aren't any. The features are just absent or dumbed down to toy like apps.
    It still boils down to the same thing, they're not meeting your expectations. That doesn't mean they're failing.
    Just about all of the major functions of the Pre have someone who thinks that's the most important feature, and that if Palm doesn't do it the way they expected, it's a failure.

The bottom line is they can't make everyone happy; so they expend their resources where they think it's best. Some may not agree, but that doesn't make those folks right.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It still boils down to the same thing, they're not meeting your expectations. That doesn't mean they're failing.
    Just about all of the major functions of the Pre have someone who thinks that's the most important feature, and that if Palm doesn't do it the way they expected, it's a failure.

The bottom line is they can't make everyone happy; so they expend their resources where they think it's best. Some may not agree, but that doesn't make those folks right.
    I think you have this big misconception about what I'm trying to say, that somehow I have this personal vendetta against Palm and that I claim they owe me this or that.

I'm providing a critique of their product, because I'm a user, a Palm customer and also because I can speak from professional knowledge and experience.

You keep railing against it as if it was verboten and personally offensive to you. Palm can do what it wants with it. They can dismiss it and keep to their plan, whatever it is, or they can take that perspective into account. I try to be informative and define problems as clearly as possible which I think creates value, even if it's not very cheerful.

Now that you mentioned Palm's resources, may we can talk about it some more without you throwing a hissy fit. Who is Palm trying to make happy with this product design, in your opinion?
    Palm doesnt really care about the old time palm users....with the pre and pixi they have proven they care much more about us - the new time palm users...

if you want that old time palm functionality you should purchase a treo pro for that...
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Palm doesnt really care about the old time palm users....with the pre and pixi they have proven they care much more about us - the new time palm users...

if you want that old time palm functionality you should purchase a treo pro for that...
    How do you define these so-called "new time" customers, what do they care about that Palm gives them?
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    just me 2 cents old palm users(i'm really going to have to put my palm chronology up some time) get over it every feature you had on your treo was promised to you on your treo this is a palm pre.
    I don't think anybody complained when they drop'd there CRT's(old tvs) for plasma when they first came out((older plasma)though they last like 5 years max and cost 4 times as much)
    Palm didn't promise treo like pim support or treo like ***** for that matter
    Palm was about to die because all the "old" palm users jumped ship to the blackberry when it was new and shinny and then the iphone when it was new and shinny.
    So if Palm feels that it has to hold no loyalties to push out it's company saving phone good for them.
    Palm is building a brand not on "old" plam users backs but is moving forward.
    If you wanted the "old os" for any reason they still have "old treos" for sale for cheap check ebay and or jump ship AGAIN to a phone and os that fit's your needs.
    Does the Pre compare to the 755p in functionality hell no but would i go back back to the "old ways" hell no

to end, for all those that complain about the Pre &/or pixie past the 30 day return limit and fail to return it i would like to thank you for helping support palm
    it is you blindly throwing cash into palms coffers that give me security I'm going to have a atleast 10 year brand in the Pre
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast