Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Tweak is too general. The patches I have on my system fix problems, they are not customizations for fun. So I call them fixes, not tweaks.

As I said before, I prefer to keep things stock and I pay for the expertise of designers when I buy a product. I'm not asking for an unfinished product that can be tweaked. It's the job of the interaction designers at Palm to figure this stuff out for me. They cannot predict every nuanced need by some user but they need to get things right.

So lets look at the two patches I have. The first adds support for audiobook genres in the music app, that Palm forgot to include. The other mutes the charging system sound which is not controllable by any other means. Both of these are fixes, not customizations. It's not as if Palm could say, we don't know which audiobook genres to support but we've made webOS easy for you to decide yourself. Or, we think charging sounds are critical but if you must control them webOS lets you express that preference through patching.

These are problems. There's nothing fun or interesting about fixing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    I patch because I can.

I was very happy with my Pre before I even knew I had the option of homebrew apps and patches/tweaks... now I'm just more happy with it.
    ^What this poster said. I was happy; now I'm really happy.
    I ♥ my Pre.
    I patch because I can.

I was very happy with my Pre before I even knew I had the option of homebrew apps and patches/tweaks... now I'm just more happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    ^What this poster said. I was happy; now I'm really happy.
    Yep me2 !
    I patch because I can.

I was very happy with my Pre before I even knew I had the option of Homebrew apps and patches/tweaks... now I'm just more happy with it.
    That's exactly it for me too. I was happy before and happier now. Your survey didn't even allow for the possibility that almost all of us are telling you.

I don't care that some of my favorite PC software does not come from Microsoft and I have never cared that some of my favorite Palm tweaks did not come from Palm. None of my favorite Treo tweaks were from Palm.

Patches let me have my Pre my way. Patches fix things I never imagined needed to be fixed.

Everyday I check the patch list to see what new presents have been left under the tree.

I have reached...nerdvana.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/24/2009 at 11:19 PM.
    I patch because I can.

You speak for me as well. Besides, I am learning so much from all the helpful folks here & from messing around w/ my Pre. Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    That's exactly it for me too. I was happy before and happier now. Your survey didn't even allow for the possibility that almost all of us are telling you.
    Thank you!! That was the point that I was trying to make (and, good to know I wasn't alone...)
    I have never owned a PdaPhone that I didn't Tweak/Fix/Patch/Hack.
    Some was for fun. Some was to Fix. Some was to enhance.
    xda-developers is living proof that to Tweak/Fix/Patch/Hack has very little to do with being unhappy vs just wanting to tinker or try to improve an already cool device.
    Just call me Berd.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I have never owned a PdaPhone that I didn't Tweak/Fix/Patch/Hack.
    Some was for fun. Some was to Fix. Some was to enhance.
    xda-developers is living proof that to Tweak/Fix/Patch/Hack has very little to do with being unhappy vs just wanting to tinker or try to improve an already cool device.
    Ok ok, lol.
    Like everybody's favorite little height-challenged lawyer with the expletive filled vocabulary in that 1992 movie about a cousin named Vinny said: "I think.... I get.... the hint."
    Therefore- Is it: Tweak Freaks, Geeks, Unhappy with the PrPrPr&#$275$; $OR$ $The$ $Best$ $of$ $Both$ $Worlds$/$Having$ $Your$ $Cake$ $and$ $Eating$ $It$ $Too$?
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/25/2009 at 11:02 AM.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Palm should be counting their blessings for installers like Preware, filecoaster, WOSQI. If not for tweaks and/or patches there would be a huge amount of people returning the Pre
    While I'm sure many people decided to install hacks because they felt the phone doesn't do something "the right way" (at least by their own personal opinion -- however well defined, or not so well defined, that may be). I can't help but to think that even if the phone did everything "the right way" there would still be quite a large amount of hacking going on. While this is impossible to substantiate and thus mere conjecture. Looking at other devices of similar design and purpose (e.g. based on LINUX, etc.) an argument from analogy is quite strong if not cogent. That is, even if everyone believed the Pre to be "Perfect" (whatever that means) there would still be a considerable amount of hacking.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It'd have to be worthwhile to do the tweaks. And it is. That's the draw. Once you know how, then it becomes fun.
    I agree 100%. At first it was because there was a feature I wanted and once I figured out how easy it was, I am constantly tweaking.
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I love your threads, dbd.

"Is Palm stupid, or is Palm stupid?"

Quality stuff.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I love your threads, dbd.

"Is Palm stupid, or is Palm stupid?"

Quality stuff.
    My goal is always to impress you, Xyg. I guess i failed again. I've been trying for months now, and i still can't get it right.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/25/2009 at 12:25 PM.
  14. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    My goal is always to impress you, Xyg. I guess i failed again. I've been trying for months now, and i still can't get it right.
    Just remember this: "Trying is the first step to failure."

15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Just remember this: "Trying is the first step to failure."

I've been happy since June 6th, and when I put in filecoaster it became a bonus on an already great phone. The phone did everything I wanted to do on it when I bought it, now it does more!
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I do it to fiddle,but if it want for patches and homebrew I would hace bought a hero.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    I do it to fiddle,but if it want for patches and homebrew I would hace bought a hero.
    You mean: "If it weren't...", right?
    I have 24 patches installed and not one of them is to fix an actual problem with the OS. There were problems early on (ex. different types of exchange accounts weren't syncing). These items were fixed by Palm and ultimately is what made me keep the phone. Personally, I knew what I was getting into so I accepted that there were going to be limitations. Others jumped in blind but regret not jumping back before the 30 day window.

Ultimately, all of the tweaks that I currently have are something I noticed within my first 30 days that I would like to be differently or items that I didn't even think of and are a nice addition. I would be keeping the phone regardless of the tweaks; they are just a nice stepping stone until Palm can get everything implemented.
    I have no problem with the duct tape crowd. It's only with the argument that the unfinished state of the device is a feature, because the user should make the device "their own".
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast