1.    #1  
    Hi I was thinking there is alot of outrage on here and rightly so, so each one of you fire of an email to palm telling them exactly how we feel about being treated like second class customers. I think it would at least convey the message that people are not happy about the app catalogue fiasco.

Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I hate the App Catalog situation, but I'd rather have them fix the data connection problem in 1.3.1. A lot of people can't even use data since 1.3.1, that's an even bigger problem imo..
    What are you actually outraged at anyway? It's not working as apparently is the case for many aspects of the phone. There's been no information that it's either intentional or long term, just that it's broken. All else is speculation.

I think it's fair to send a message informing them of this issue and gives them some idea of the extent of the problem and perhaps push us up the to do list. (I actually suspect they know exactly how many people are affected).

Other than that I don't see any reasonable space for outrage yet. However, if it subsequently comes out in an official way that they are targeting us & locking us out, well then I'm right there with you.....
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    What are you actually outraged at anyway? It's not working as apparently is the case for many aspects of the phone. There's been no information that it's either intentional or long term, just that it's broken. All else is speculation.

I think it's fair to send a message informing them of this issue and gives them some idea of the extent of the problem and perhaps push us up the to do list. (I actually suspect they know exactly how many people are affected).

Other than that I don't see any reasonable space for outrage yet. However, if it subsequently comes out in an official way that they are targeting us & locking us out, well then I'm right there with you.....
    I don't understand what you mean. What I'm mad about is that no one ever said we are releasing the pre in europe with no paid apps and no timeline on when that would happen (That's what palm support are saying now). The are just saying there may be an update in the future. That does not sound reassuring to me and I'm sure alot of people would have reconsidered if they had known that before they got the pre.

Lets see maybe when the catalog comes out of beta, but I'm not too optimistic right now.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalild View Post
    I don't understand what you mean. What I'm mad about is that no one ever said we are releasing the pre in europe with no paid apps and no timeline on when that would happen (That's what palm support are saying now). The are just saying there may be an update in the future. That does not sound reassuring to me and I'm sure alot of people would have reconsidered if they had known that before they got the pre.

Lets see maybe when the catalog comes out of beta, but I'm not too optimistic right now.
    thats pretty much my outlook. Smartphones nowadays rely heavily on their apps stores, even microsoft are getting apiece of the pie with marketplace. Surely palm must realise that in doing what they have done and not actually telling us about whether they plan to do anything about will hurt their sales badly. Who in their right mind is going to buy an all singing all dancing smartphone which cant receive apps. I wouldnt but I didnt know this would be the case when I bought the pre.
    we cant rely on homebrew either (even though I love this service), even now some of my favourite homebrew apps have moved to paid for versions which I cant use now.
    I think the reason Palm is not setting up to sell outside of US is that they have to resolve how to legally sell in these other countries in light of tax laws there. I fully expect that my sales here in the US will be generating me an IRS 1099 at the end of the year telling the US govt about how much I made selling my app so that I have to pay income tax on those sales.
  7.    #7  
    That's what alot of people are saying, but here is the thing its not that complicated, and they have set up the infrastructure to sell palm producs in europe they should have set up the app stuff too. How does google and apple doit? Just do that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalild View Post
    That's what alot of people are saying, but here is the thing its not that complicated, and they have set up the infrastructure to sell palm producs in europe they should have set up the app stuff too. How does google and apple doit? Just do that!
    Selling Electronic items internationally whilst conforming to government tax laws is tricky actually.

Yes Google and Apple may have done it, but remember this;

Palm consists of ~1000 employees whereas Apple has ~35,000 & Google ~22,000.

Im sorry but yes it will probably be a while before we see paid apps, and besides, palm did not technically promise us paid apps nor advertise when we purchased our phones, and they are rolling out updates each month, so cut them some slack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Im sorry but yes it will probably be a while before we see paid apps, and besides, palm did not technically promise us paid apps nor advertise when we purchased our phones, and they are rolling out updates each month, so cut them some slack.
    That's true but there are a bunch of apps that were available on launch day (and thus influenced purchases) which are no longer available now as they have become paid apps (SplashID is the one that has caught me out and left me high and dry). I'm fairly sure I would have a case in UK law as the app catalogue formed part of the package I was buying into.

That said, I'm sure it isn't that complicated and will be fixed very soon. I'm actually more annoyed at Splash Data for removing the free version of their app. If they can have different catalogues in different regions (or carriers, or whatever the distinction is) then it seems they could keep the free trials going for EU markets until the paid app issue is fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    That's true but there are a bunch of apps that were available on launch day (and thus influenced purchases) which are no longer available now as they have become paid apps (SplashID is the one that has caught me out and left me high and dry). I'm fairly sure I would have a case in UK law as the app catalogue formed part of the package I was buying into.

That said, I'm sure it isn't that complicated and will be fixed very soon. I'm actually more annoyed at Splash Data for removing the free version of their app. If they can have different catalogues in different regions (or carriers, or whatever the distinction is) then it seems they could keep the free trials going for EU markets until the paid app issue is fixed.
    Very true, and i understand where you're coming from having also frequently been using SplashID (But thankfully didnt have to rely on it).

Looking into the issue it seems its the vendors as well as palm which have caused us the trouble, many vendors chose to remove free versions of their apps if the paid versions were not available (this is coming personally from devs on the forum).

Another thing, when developers submit their apps its defaulted to United states/English, now yes i find this stupid and is a reason why many apps stated (Submitted for U.S only) but what i fail to understand is why palm gave us access to these apps then left us high and dry.

They should have re-evaluated the apps for distribution in the EU region, i mean most if not all know english fairly well in the EU. Hope this gets resolved very soon.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I'm not that outraged at all really. I'm sure it'll be sorted soon enough. I'm actually quite pleased with everything. The new software update addressed lots of stuff - and only a few weeks after the phone's European release - there are new apps out every day, I can make phone calls, etc. I feel like I am in the future.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Selling Electronic items internationally whilst conforming to government tax laws is tricky actually.

Yes Google and Apple may have done it, but remember this;

Palm consists of ~1000 employees whereas Apple has ~35,000 & Google ~22,000.

Well actually the O2 guy at the store did say they where going to have paid apps "soon". and at the time being new to O2 I didn't know that O2 reps tend not to be very informed.