Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Working great - installed via command line with wget. First video recorded an empty file (did not show up in videos) and froze my Pre so I had to reboot. Seems to be working fine from there on out.

I'm pretty annoyed that Palm promised video "shortly after release" back in January (in the Q&A after the Pre announcement) and we still haven't seen anything. With the speed (or slowness) of significant updates, I'd be surprised to see this functionality before the end of the year. Great work to the devs here who have less to work with than Palm engineers yet seem to be able to figure this stuff out quicker than they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    Working great - installed via command line with wget. First video recorded an empty file (did not show up in videos) and froze my Pre so I had to reboot. Seems to be working fine from there on out.

I'm pretty annoyed that Palm promised video "shortly after release" back in January (in the Q&A after the Pre announcement) and we still haven't seen anything. With the speed (or slowness) of significant updates, I'd be surprised to see this functionality before the end of the year. Great work to the devs here who have less to work with than Palm engineers yet seem to be able to figure this stuff out quicker than they do.
    while your point about the shortly after is fair enough. Palm laid alot of the framework for this app in the last update, and has worked with the homebrew community over at webOS-internals.

BUT, palm certainly does have some fantastically talanted people developeing and pushing the boundaries of the device, to keep up with.

Keep pushing guys!
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    sometimes that happens, sometimes the camera flashes, and sometimes i can see what i would be recording if recording worked though i would have to wait a little longer for the camera app to load.

yeah i just did a little more testing on this trying different ways to load the apps and no matter what as soon as you switch to the cam app it stops the recording, but the cam will still act funny sometimes flashing a few times and taking a while to load but by then its not recording anymore. Im sure they will figure out how to get a preview working here really quick so im not that worried about it yet, on a side note now you can record people without them seeing anything haha!!
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    LONG LIVE THE 'BREW CREW!

Any way, in a future build, you could make a volume rocker button work to start/stop the recording? That way I could film myself, without a mirror, without fumbling about on the "back" (touchscreen) to start and end.

Thanks so much.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Tried this, still no dice.

(I mean, tried putting the ipkg in the same directory as QuickInstall).

Thanks for any help - I forget that terse sounds rude on webforums..
    Actually not the same directory as Quick Install. Quick Install has a sub directory it creates called Install. Put the ipkg directly in that folder before starting it. IF that is what you did,t hen I have no clue. Sorry wish I could help. You might want to ask in the QI thread in the Canuck forum.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    A question: would it be possible to make the GstService class more generic? I would like to have the possibility to rip off mp3 of youtube videos (like the youtube downloader patch, but mp3 only). I need access to gstreamer for this and I think it would be best to have one gstreamer service. So that something like this would be possible:

Code:
        this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://org.webosinternals.gstservice', {
            method: 'StreamIO',
            parameters: {
                source: "url",
                destination: "file",
                input: this.video.link,
                output: filename,
                inputmime: "video/mp4",
                outputmime: "audio/mp3",
            },
    ------------------------

And btw - thanks for the work, I just LOVE it
    Thanks -

No, unfortunately that didn't work either.

Interestingly, I thought I'd attempt to install the Terminal app to see if I could install from the command line on my pre. When I tried to install the Terminal Plugin, I got the same error. I wonder if my Pre's configured strangely.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Its amazing how big this thread is. Shows you how bad people want a recording app. Lets hope Palm is listening and puts it as a higher priority
    Quote Originally Posted by xtexman View Post
    I'm getting the exact same error message from WebOS Quick Install. The precorder app installs with no problem but I can not get the GSTservice running.
    Figured it out. I needed to download Package Manager from WebOS internals. The answer was buried in another thread.
    Installed both simultaneously and no issues. Works great, first time recording, no problems with and w/o flash. Recording showed up in my videos app. Nicely done.

1. Tried screen capture while playing back vid (just for functionality sakes, not working yet). Obviously, alpha version doesn't show what you're recording yet. No surprises there

2. Swipe to delete vids patch from Jason works like a charm. Went into USB mode and looked for it, nothing found.

3. Recorded 2nd video, found it on USB (no folder associated with it). I did notice that when replaying on my Pre, the orientation was different than when it was replayed on my desktop with Quicktime (could be a QTime issue?)

On my Pre, the playback orientation (I moved it between vertical and horizontal and back to vertical) was the same way I recorded it.

On my desktop (copied vid off my Pre and pasted onto desktop), I used Quicktime which opened the file correctly with no issues (sound and vid were good quality - better than ipod nano vid quality IMO). I started recording with my Pre in a vertical position but the beginning of the playback in Quicktime had it the exact opposite. Qtime started the video in a horizontal position and vice-versa when my Pre was recording in horizontal position, qtime replayed it in a vertical position.

I'll continue to test it as much as possible and report findings.

Tremendous work no doubt to all the homebrew devs who were involved!!! Props to Palm for including linux binaries in 1.3.1 to assist the devs!
    Last edited by Achill3s; 11/24/2009 at 03:07 PM.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Amazing. This is just what I wanted
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Installed both simultaneously and no issues. Works great, first time recording, no problems. Showed up in my videos app.

3. Recorded 2nd video, found it on USB (no folder associated with it). I did notice that when replaying on my Pre, the orientation was different than when it was replayed on my desktop with Quicktime (could be a QTime issue?)

On my Pre, the playback orientation (I moved it between vertical and horizontal and back to vertical) was the same way I recorded it.

On my desktop (copied vid off my Pre and pasted onto desktop), I used Quicktime which opened the file correctly with no issues (sound and vid were good quality - better than ipod nano vid quality IMO). I started recording with my Pre in a vertical position but the beginning of the playback in Quicktime had it the exact opposite. Qtime started the video in a horizontal position and vice-versa when my Pre was recording in horizontal position, qtime replayed it in a vertical position.
    The proper orientation for the pre is to hold it landscape (sideways) when recording. Videos recorded while holding the Pre portrait-ways are going to look right on the Pre when you play them back because you're holding the screen the same orientation you held it when you recorded it in. The videos, however, was recorded from the perspective that 'down' is you holding the Pre landscape such that the volume rocker switch is on the 'bottom'. Thus, when you view it on the computer the video is 90 degrees CW.
    Hi:

I tried installing the gstservice IPK via WebOS Quick Install (latest version) and got the following error message: (see attachment for actual error message)

ERROR: An error occured while attempting to install org.webosinternals.gstservice_0.2.3_armv7.ipk

Cleaning state_want and state_flag for pkg=org.webosinternals.gstservice (arch_priority=0 flag=16 want=2)

An error ocurred, return value: 4.
    Collected errors:
    Cannot find package org.webosinternals.gstservice.
    Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'

Do I have the right gstservice ipk?

Thanks!

R
    Attached Images Attached Images
    heres a quick outdoor test video on my bike.. (Not very good video)

Excellent views from the homebrew community. This is a great way for us NON-DEVs to help with the process and feel like a part of the process bringing this to fruition. it is like having a baby (well i guess you could say the DEVS have the baby). The rest of us are uncles and aunts who want to hold the baby (try the program), but when it cries (bricked PRE), give it back to DEVS to fix. I look forward to testing the PRECORDER.
    Everbody fights, Nobody quits!!!

Bnite6 ---
    What is the cleanest way to uninstall both gstservice and precorder after you've installed them? Anybody know?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teewinot View Post
    What is the cleanest way to uninstall both gstservice and precorder after you've installed them? Anybody know?
    Use Preware, go to INstalled. Then go to Unknown. They are both there.
    Hi all,

I got it installed with no problems.

I followed the instructions with starting to record for a few seconds and then stopping it and the starting a second record, per instructions for listed bug.

I tried to record about 3 times.

But one time recording, I decided to see if opening the camera app (which was not stated whether or not this should be tried) and the camera app launched and but could not fully open. It kept flashing that camera icon. When I realized that I did a 'no no', I immediately closed the camera app (tossing off the screen).

I then stopped my recording, and then started a new record.

I then went to my videos, I wasn't sure if we are able to see the videos yet in the video app or not. I did not see it, so I am assuming it's not ready for that.

I then tried to hook up my Pre to my PC so I could copy the off the files from the USB partition as we did with the first alpha that I tried a month ago, prior to 1.3.1, which worked without sound.

For some reason my Pre would not be recognized by my computer.

So I did a reboot and right now my Pre is hung up on the shutdown (that new icon we get) so I am going to be forced to pull the battery and hopefully that will cure the issue.

If there is something I can do to provide any more information on what happened in my case let me know.

I'm not sure if the app is writing a log file at this time to submit to the developers.

Rob

PS And yes, I understand that it was use at my own risk! I'm not complaining just reporting!

Addition: Just went back to WebOS Internals to re-read the information to see if I missed anything and noticed that I probably should have seen the videos in the video app (according to the last picture posted there).
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 11/24/2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: additional info
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    One thing i did notice is there is a delay between when you push the button and it actually records. The flash serves as a nice indicator of when it actually begins recording. I wish there were a indicator on the gui to make it easier to tell when the video is actually recording without having to use the flash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teewinot View Post
    The latest Preware sees the service and program. I assume it will uninstall it fine, but I'm not going to try it just yet.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.