1.    #1  
    How do I back up just my contacts so I don't lose it (just in case) other than manually putting stuff into a file????

Like I said I searched and can't find anything and I'm a newbie Pre user.

TIA
  2.    #3  
    that won't work because I don't have a gmail account and most of my stuff on the phone I don't want in my Yahoo account or linked at all.
    You could always back the contacts up to Yahoo (or create a Google account), download them to CSV or other format and then delete them from the cloud.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    If you have WebOS quickinstall you could do this:

But it is fairly easy to make a backup of your entire Contacts database. If you put WebOS Quick Install on your PC and ask it to copy the file /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3, you will have a copy of your Contacts (and events, account credentials, and call logs according to the WebOS Internals web site). It's difficult to do much with them, but as a last resort you could copy it back to a new Pre and I suspect you would recover your data.

Someone also wrote a program to extract the contacts from the database. Both worked like a charm for me when I had to use WebOS doctor on my phone!
  5.    #6  
    Ya realize ya are talking to a dumb redneck hick! I think I'll just write them in my address book and keep it in my fire proof lock box because it seems to be the safest and easiest way. LOL!

I don't want or need another account to try to remember IDs and passwords to.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    Ya realize ya are talking to a dumb redneck hick! I think I'll just write them in my address book and keep it in my fire proof lock box because it seems to be the safest and easiest way. LOL!

I don't want or need another account to try to remember IDs and passwords to.
    Trust me, you will be better off opening a gmail account. Make the account something simple to remember (you could even make it match some other account). Once you have the information put in the Pre, you don't have to remember it, it "remembers" for you.

The problem with doing it the way you are is that it's unreliable (as many are currently discovering) because:

1. The data exists only in one place, your pre (it's backed up, but it's a composite backup over which you have virtually no control)
    2. There is no way to manually access the data, you must enter (and delete) it solely on the Pre.

A Google account (or Exchange account) gives you the ability to import and export the data, which is very handy both from a backup standpoint, and from a data entry standpoint.
    If you actually care about your contact data, then get yourself a Google gmail account (it's free and easy) and set the default on the Pre so it syncs with this account. Even a "dumb redneck hick" can do it. You can type your contacts in the Pre, you can type them in the Google web site, they end up in both places, you can copy them from Google to your PC.

If you can't do that much, then just write them down on paper ... you won't find any simpler way.
    aight from the last post..still don't understand this..this new to me..so i set up a google account and added to my pre..then what do i from there?..is my contacts saved on google? what is being back up to google..and where do i find that back up?..please help if u can?
    Unfortunately since you started with the palm profile - thats where everything is "backed up" and theonly way to back it up anywhere else IE: google - you have to manually enter everything into the google contacts

there is no easy way .. no simple way .. but I do recommend it. there are new threads starting every day here and at the palm support forums that palm has lost most of the back ups for the PRE users -

make sure you set the phone to back up to goggle and not the palm profile
    1 - contacts
    2 - preferences and accounts
    3 - default account

as i said before, it wont take anything from palm to google, but all new contacts will default to google

once you do this you will have duplicates for each contact - palm and google profiles - delete the palm one once you are done so no duplicates
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it