webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Data still not working in 1.3.1 UK
Data still not working in 1.3.1 UK
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11/22/2009, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 743
I just installed 1.3.1 UK and now my data connection isn't working anymore.

Let me explain. I had the 1.2 US on there earlier. I used the hack to change the carrier settings of my provider and data worked just fine. When 1.3.1 US came out last week, I updated and my data stopped working. Tried setting it manually in the phone menu, no luck. Tried the hack above (several times), didn't work either.

Well, I thought, maybe it's because it's the US version. So I made a custom ROM by changing the carrier settings db in 1.1.3 UK. Installed it and again, data worked fine. Now today, I update to 1.3.1 UK and yet again, no data. Setting it manually isn't working and the carrier db hack doesn't work either.

My provider is Vodafone NL and I use a rebel sim. Does anybody know how the data connection can be set in webOS 1.3.1!?
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2009, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
palmdoc#AC's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,815
I also needed to change the APN - under Phone, manual settings can now be edited!! No need to hack the database.
After changing, still no data but it returned after a soft reset.
Try resetting?
__________________
Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News

Last edited by palmdoc2005; 11/22/2009 at 10:17 PM.
palmdoc#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2009, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
shadavis08's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,321
you should probably web doctor your phone back to the original version for your area or country before updating
__________________
ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2009, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
I also needed to change the APN - under Phone, manual settings can now be edited!! No need to hack the database.
After changing, still no data but it returned after a soft reset.
Try resetting?
Yeah, multiple times, no data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
you should probably web doctor your phone back to the original version for your area or country before updating
I have a UK Pre and used the UK webos doctor.
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 12:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 743
I just made a custom ROM with the right settings in CarrierNetworkSettings.db3. It still won't connect. The manual setting is also available during activation, but it still says the APN settings are invalid (while they're not).

I don't wanna be stuck on 1.2
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 01:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 431
hey, i have had this problem with rebel sim before.

try this.

put your sim card to another nokia phone.

edit network settings.
select manuel network selection.

select your 3g network.

make a call to someone with the nokia phone.

log on the web browser with your nokia phone.

turn off nokia phone.

try your pre with rebel sim again.

let me know if it works
chris

p.s. currently i am still using the US firmware 1.3.1 with my UK pre with rebel sim all seems good, i am worried cos it seems too good and i don't want it to mess up in the future!
chrislo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 02:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
hey, i have had this problem with rebel sim before.

try this.

put your sim card to another nokia phone.

edit network settings.
select manuel network selection.

select your 3g network.

make a call to someone with the nokia phone.

log on the web browser with your nokia phone.

turn off nokia phone.

try your pre with rebel sim again.

let me know if it works
chris

p.s. currently i am still using the US firmware 1.3.1 with my UK pre with rebel sim all seems good, i am worried cos it seems too good and i don't want it to mess up in the future!
I tried it with an old Sony Ericsson. Sadly didn't work. I think the problem is some code change in webos 1.3, since it worked in 1.2 without problems.
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 02:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
I also have problems with my SIM-free German Pre. I try to set the Access Point Name during the profile creation and it always says it cannot write the settings. So strange...
gferreroferri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 02:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 193
Hi folks,

I've just upgraded to 1.3.1 (using official Palm update) my unlocked O2 German Pre. I haven't noticed any problem with upgrade.

During upgrade I didn't have SIM card inserted and I immediately changed manual network settings. I got "invalid APN settings" message , but I chose "Setup anyway".
I did shut-down, removed battery, inserted SIM and rebooted.

No data. I checked network settings, I needed to turn-on again manual setting and enter all changes again (APN...).
This time I got again "invalid APN settings" message , but after I chose "Setup anyway". I got Unable to write settings

Reset didn't help.

I didn't try db hack earlier, neither installed Sprint/Bell firmware. I am running of ideas ?

Thanks, Kreso
kresom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 03:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresom View Post
Hi folks,

I've just upgraded to 1.3.1 (using official Palm update) my unlocked O2 German Pre. I haven't noticed any problem with upgrade.

During upgrade I didn't have SIM card inserted and I immediately changed manual network settings. I got "invalid APN settings" message , but I chose "Setup anyway".
I did shut-down, removed battery, inserted SIM and rebooted.

No data. I checked network settings, I needed to turn-on again manual setting and enter all changes again (APN...).
This time I got again "invalid APN settings" message , but after I chose "Setup anyway". I got Unable to write settings

Reset didn't help.

I didn't try db hack earlier, neither installed Sprint/Bell firmware. I am running of ideas ?
I tried once again with SIM removed. No luck

Kreso
kresom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 03:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresom View Post
I tried once again with SIM removed. No luck

Kreso
You had no problems before either? Which provider?
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 04:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresom View Post
This time I got again "invalid APN settings" message , but after I chose "Setup anyway". I got Unable to write settings
I get exactly the same error
gferreroferri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 04:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruba View Post
You had no problems before either? Which provider?
HR VIP (Vipnet), They are part of Austrian Mobilkom and Croatian Vodafone partner.

BTW, is it possible that Pre is trying to write these settings on SIM card ?

Kreso
kresom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 04:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresom View Post
HR VIP (Vipnet), They are part of Austrian Mobilkom and Croatian Vodafone partner.

BTW, is it possible that Pre is trying to write these settings on SIM card ?

Kreso
Is your provider in the database? I can't find it.
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 05:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 193
No, it's not. That's why I was waiting for WebOS 1.3.1with manual data settings.

Obviously, Palm hasn't learned GSM lesson yet. First, they had GSM phone, but you couldn't edit APN settings. Now, you can edit but it doesn't work. At least not for me, and it seems I am not the only one.
They would probably fix it someday, but it is technology at least five year old and they should have implemented it correctly from very first day.

Kreso
kresom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 05:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresom View Post
No, it's not. That's why I was waiting for WebOS 1.3.1with manual data settings.

Obviously, Palm hasn't learned GSM lesson yet. First, they had GSM phone, but you couldn't edit APN settings. Now, you can edit but it doesn't work. At least not for me, and it seems I am not the only one.
They would probably fix it someday, but it is technology at least five year old and they should have implemented it correctly from very first day.

Kreso
Agreed, the phone is useless without data. Maybe they can hardly keep up in the US and that's why they're neglecting Europe. I don't know. But this + the lack of paid apps is really really annoying me right now...
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 05:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
gferreroferri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 10:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 193
I played with three different SIM cards from my provider (HR VIP). My card is couple years old so I thought it could be working with newer cards.

Some of those cards have written APN settings on it, but I still couldn't get data connection. It is obviously incompatibility between Pre and certain types of SIM cards. (I had Pre working with T-mobile HR even back on 1.1.3. T-mobile HR is also not in Pre database, but it has APN settings written on the card).

Possible solutions are :
a) change my GSM carrier (not possible for me)
b) hack carrier database - some people are reporting that "old" hack is not working anymore. I'll try to hack it later tonight. I didn't try it earlier because I was waiting for 1.3.1.
c) wait for some one to decipher "Unable to write settings" and hopefully find workaround solution
d) wait for Palm to resolve this - unfortunately I am afraid that Palm has different priorities since they probably officially sold few dozens of unlocked Pres in Germany and they don't care for early adopters like us.(Palm fanatics like Derek said the other day).

Kreso
kresom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 06:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresom View Post
b) hack carrier database - some people are reporting that "old" hack is not working anymore. I'll try to hack it later tonight. I didn't try it earlier because I was waiting for 1.3.1.
It worked for me. Just followed the instructions from this thread http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...1-21-us-2.html

Now, I can finally start playing with my new toy.

Kreso
kresom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 06:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
shadavis08's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,321
yay now this thread is going somewhere lol
__________________
ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Tags
1.3.1, data

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0