Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I don't know it this would help you, but... I upgraded my Movistar unlocked Pre to 1.3.1. After the update, the data stopped working on my Polish Plus GSM network. I entered the correct APN settings manually, but nothing worked at all. But I did the phone reboot with Orange+Sym+R and after that data started working again.
    Rebooting doesn't help. One thing I'll might try is metadoctor 1.3.1, but I'm kind of hesitating as that will also remove the apps I think, and without a working app store...
    After fiddling around with it soon after the WebOS 1.3.1 update, I panicked a little when I could not get the 3g icon/data connection
    I then checked that the Data Usage switch in the Phone App / Preferences / Network section was off
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I checked just to be sure, but is was still on on...
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    No, not roaming. I tried another vodafone NL sim, it didn't work either. I don't have a sim from another provider, so I can't try, but I don't think it'll help any.(
    About the two Vodafone NL sims: are they both from private accounts? Knowing that Vodafone NL has 2 different apn's for private and business users, the following may be relevant in your quest:

Yesterday (29th november 2009) I received my German Pre, and it immediately worked with the Vodafone NL Business Sim I have: I have even activated the Pre over 3G with webos version 1.1.2

Today I updated to 1.3.1 --> still have a connection, without any configuration on my part.

It might just be that the presence of the preconfigured business apn is a problem in your attempts.
    Although the account is payed by my company, i think it is a personal account according to Vodafone. Modifying the db3 file in 1.1.3 worked though, whereas the same settings in 1.3.1 (either db3 route, or manual settings) don't. I do remember though that the "built-in" settings where for the business APN.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Have you reported this at Palm?

My company switches to Vodafone in the near future, I sincerely hope these are business SIMs If not, after the app catalog drama, the phone turns totally useless.
    Last edited by spud101; 12/02/2009 at 06:47 AM.
    I haven't as I really don't expect either high priority for them to solve it (given e.g. the app catalog to be fixed) nor that it would give them new info - if I where them I would be scanning these forums as well... Will be diving into the code later this week, to see if I can get some ideas... Otherwise: 1.1.3 worked fine for basic usage... I might revert later on and just wait till its fixed.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I have the same problem than you!

How can I reverse to 1.1.3 firmware?

thanks
    Just use the (meta)webdoctor
    Ok, got some time to investigate this further. Installed optware etc on my pre, so I could hack around in the phoneprefs app, to see what was happening.

It is probably a good idea if someone with a working vodafone NL (business) tries this as well, else another Dutch operator, BUT THIS CAN SERIOUSLY SCREW YOUR PHONE (ok, disclaimer done ;-) actually, using the webosdoctor very likely will fix any mistakes you make).

I've attached the debugging statements I added to the phoneprefs app. If you don't know how to read the diff, or how to apply them (after making a backup of the phoneprefs app), read the disclaimer above.

I've also attached the relevant parts from /var/log/messages (you probably will need to restart LunaSysMgr between file updates [stop LunaSysMgr && start LunaSysMgr] to get the log statements to actually log).

Summarized: the phonepref apps seem to properly use the manually entered APN settings (not 100% sure, I'm using a db3 modified version currently), and connects to the APN successfully. However, in one of the subsequent steps, there is a connection failure from pppd, with causeCode 29.

Googling gives me: "Facility Rejected. This cause is returned when a supplementary service requested by the user cannot be provided by the network.". This assuming that the causeCode in the log is actually from pppd, and that they are the same across various implementations. Given the meaning of the error this seems likely.

[Update: Googling a bit more also gives me standard 3GPP 24.008, where causeCode 29 means "# 29: user authentication failed;". The meaning above is related to standard Q.931. I'm not enough versed in mobile internet to know which protocols are relevant here. ]

Here onwards I'm not sure how to proceed, as I'm not sure how to get either pppd or the Palm service providing access to it (PmWanDaemon) to be more verbose.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ozuzo; 12/07/2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Another possible meaning of error 29
    In Denmark I have imported a German unlocked O2 GSM Pre.

This is very strange. I have data with my brothers Telenor/Sonofon (denmark) SIM, but not with my own Telia (denmark) SIM.

The phone doesn't find data-connection (unless Telenor SIM is used) other than my own WiFi.
    Not even with the manual prefs. I have tried entering the APN for Telia (Denmark); www.internet.mtelia.dk manually in the phone Prefs, manual network to no avail.

I'm getting frustrated to the point where I will change my subscription to get it up and running. I have tried everything in these forums;
    - Restarts between tweaks
    - Toggle between
    - No data
    - Auto network type or forced to 2G or 3G
    - Auto network selection between operators net
    -
    No matter what. No data whatsoever.

I have even checked the carrier db3 file. In this file I found an error according to this page:
    Complete list of MCC and MNC values
    - Telia Denmark is MCC: 238, and MNC: 20
    In the above mentioned file I found MNC as 30 (which in effect is the old Mobilix, which mergered into Telia some years ago). So I have tried both the values 20 and 30.

No success.

So tomorrow I will go to Nortel and find if they can provide me with a new SIM pronto. So I can get data on the move.

Thanks for all your inspired tech-talk. It really is a blast to at least have these forums, to help - when Palm obviously have neglected to make proper testing of the carriers in Europe.

This reaks of rushy product launch. I'm quite disappointed in Palm actually.

BR

Morten

Edit 8. dec '09
    I found out that Telenor SIM do not work as they did not exist when Pre was designed (and hence are not in DB file on Pre). It is a quite recent merger between Sonofon and Telenor. Hence the older SIM from Sonofon work with data & 3G. Telenor SIM do not...

So I have aquired 2 SIM from old Sonofon for new account for my Pre (and wife's).

Edit 9. dec. '09
    Today I succeeded with Telia DK both DATA and SMS working now. Things are quickly shaping up for a good experience.

- mnc: 20
    - smsc no.: +4528187000

in the carrierdb file.

Great with 3G data on the move.

Thanks for all your inspiration.

Morten
    Last edited by excaliburst; 12/09/2009 at 11:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozuzo View Post
    Ok, got some time to investigate this further. Installed optware etc on my pre, so I could hack around in the phoneprefs app, to see what was happening.............
    Great stuff ozuzo (glad I changed my keyboard z/y). Good to know how to do this. I will try to get a listing form tmobile that is working during the weekend unless someone else did that already. What is that (/var/log/rdxd/pending) ' to many reports'?
    Hmm, didn't notice those before. Probably unrelated, I just copied a whole /var/log/messages segment.
    I found a log that might help. It's from my tmobile connection that works. Looking at the log file from vodafone, I noticed the line
    send (ATD*99***1#^M).
    I remember from my Treo 650 time that it was always the question what string to use. Otherwise one got some unsupported message. A treo allowed to specify that AT Dialing string. Various sources on the Internet mention *99# or another variation for vodafone. How reliable that is or how to change that on a Pre, I don't know.
    Hmm, I think these strings are hard-coded into the /usr/bin/PmWanDaemon executable (and are inserted into the /etc/chatscripts/connect.chat script). Had a look at 1.1.3, and it looks like that version of the daemon had the same strings, so it likely is something else...

[Hmm, don't know why I didn't think of that before - I can probably replace the chat script with something custom, and I can try to connect using chat from the commandline...]
    Last edited by ozuzo; 12/09/2009 at 07:38 AM.
    Having my German O2 QWERTZ Pre (activated in Germany) for one week with no data 3g network connection and no SMS service I've decided to investigate onto the available options above.

What I've done was to download and install inside Firefox (as add-in) SQLite Manager and to change the settings of Globul (another BG mobile operator) by replacing the name (both short and long) with Mtel, mnc 1 (instead of 5) and smsEmailGateway +35988000301.

All done in com_palm_data_carriernetworksettings Table.
    Now I have 3G and sms active!

All changes into the attachment!

Thanks all!
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Hmm, I think these strings are hard-coded into the /usr/bin/PmWanDaemon executable (and are inserted into the /etc/chatscripts/connect.chat script). Had a look at 1.1.3, and it looks like that version of the daemon had the same strings, so it likely is something else...

[Hmm, don't know why I didn't think of that before - I can probably replace the chat script with something custom, and I can try to connect using chat from the commandline...]
    Hi,

I have, exactly, the same problem than you with 1.3.1 firmware, whereas on 1.1.3 it works ok.

Here is my log:

2009-12-09T21:34:30.801452Z [2899] palm-webos-device user.crit LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS}: com.palm.systemui: Error: SystemUI - Updating WAN
    Icon - Status - Removed {"state": "enable", "roamGuard": "disable", "networktype": "hsdpa", "dataaccess": "usable", "networkstatus": "attac
    hed", "disablewan": "off", "connectedservices": [{"service": ["internet"], "cid": 1, "connectstatus": "connecting", "ipaddress": "", "reques
    tstatus": "connect failed", "errorCode": 0, "causeCode": 29, "mipFailureCode": 0}]}, file:///usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/index.html:0

After that, the phone is sending:

2009-12-09T21:34:31.112121Z [2899] palm-webos-device daemon.debug pppd[2483]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 0.0.0.0> <
    ms-dns1 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns3 0.0.0.0>]

until time out, without response.

Regards.
    Ok, got some time to investigate this further. Installed optware etc on my pre, so I could hack around in the phoneprefs app, to see what was happening.

It is probably a good idea if someone with a working vodafone NL (business) tries this as well, else another Dutch operator, BUT THIS CAN SERIOUSLY SCREW YOUR PHONE (ok, disclaimer done ;-) actually, using the webosdoctor very likely will fix any mistakes you make).
    I only increased the error level to 20 (not the other dif changes)
    Here is a listing from TmobileNL. Sequence of events is:
    - Key in wrong password (internep) and Change (manual data) settings
    - Red error message on screen: invalid Internet APN settings
    - Key in right password (internet) and change settings
    - I think, not sure though, still same error message on screen
    - Second time click on change (no changes in password)
    - Error message disappeared, some message such as OK or something
    - 3G present
    Hope the attached error log helps (fake but easy to read IP's)
    Have tried to get further with this, no luck. Tried all kinds of combinations of options in the /etc/ppp/options-gsm file, but it keeps hanging on the ConfReq id=0x1 getting no response... Darn.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast