Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kresom View Post
    I played with three different SIM cards from my provider (HR VIP). My card is couple years old so I thought it could be working with newer cards.

Some of those cards have written APN settings on it, but I still couldn't get data connection. It is obviously incompatibility between Pre and certain types of SIM cards. (I had Pre working with T-mobile HR even back on 1.1.3. T-mobile HR is also not in Pre database, but it has APN settings written on the card).
    Actually, I was wrong. T-mobile HR is in the Pre database. So, my theory about certain types of SIM cards seems to be very uncertain.

Kreso
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    I tried it with an old Sony Ericsson. Sadly didn't work. I think the problem is some code change in webos 1.3, since it worked in 1.2 without problems.
    how about setting the rebel sim to mode 1 or mode 3?
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
    how about setting the rebel sim to mode 1 or mode 3?
    I had it set to mode 1. So I just tried mode 3 and installed 1.3.1 again. Manual setting didn't work and the db3 hack didn't either. Guess it's flashing back to 1.1.3 again today.
    I had it set to mode 1. So I just tried mode 3 and installed 1.3.1 again. Manual setting didn't work and the db3 hack didn't either. Guess it's flashing back to 1.1.3 again today.
    In another thread Dick9999 said that the format of the carrier database had changed under 1.3.1. I suspect that if you extract the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 from the new webosdoctor, change them in the new version and copy back to the pre, it might work.

Instructions here

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-settings.html

Gx
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    In another thread Dick9999 said that the format of the carrier database had changed under 1.3.1. I suspect that if you extract the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 from the new webosdoctor, change them in the new version and copy back to the pre, it might work.

Instructions here

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-settings.html

Gx
    I've changed the original CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 in 1.3.1 several times. I think there's a bug in Palm's code or something. They changed something and now data doesn't work for a lot of people..
    I've changed the original CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 in 1.3.1 several times. I think there's a bug in Palm's code or something. They changed something and now data doesn't work for a lot of people..
    Try changing the NEW CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 file. You might have more success

Gx
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Try changing the NEW CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 file. You might have more success

Gx
    I did, I changed the new CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 in 1.3.1. I even made a custom ROM with the new changed CarrierNetworkSettings.db3. No luck..
    I did, I changed the new CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 in 1.3.1. I even made a custom ROM with the new changed CarrierNetworkSettings.db3. No luck..
    Sorry, I misread your post. I wonder has something happened your Rebel?

My Rebel on Meteor IRL worked immediately I upgraded to 1.3.1 without any mods.

Gx
    maybe try reloading 1.3.1 ???
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Sorry, I misread your post. I wonder has something happened your Rebel?

My Rebel on Meteor IRL worked immediately I upgraded to 1.3.1 without any mods.

Gx
    I really don't think it's the rebel sim. I went back to 1.1.3 several times in the last days and data was working fine (by hacking the db3 file).

Palm must have changed the way it handles the connection. If I knew which file it was, I could replace it with the one used in 1.1.3 (or 1.2). I already tried replacing CarrierNetworkSettings.jar, telephony.jar and sqlitejdbc-v053.jar in /usr/lib/luna/java/, but it didn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    maybe try reloading 1.3.1 ???
    I think I've had 1.3.1 on it like ten times (including the US version).
    Dunno if this is any help but I issued linux command

ps -ef

One of the processes that showed up was

root 3941 1 0 11:36 ttyACM0 00:00:00 pppd /dev/tts/modem0 user "my" password "isp" file /etc/ppp/options-gsm mtu 1500

user "my" password "isp" is the username and password for the apn for my ISP

See whats on your Pre....might point you in the right direction

Gx
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Dunno if this is any help but I issued linux command

ps -ef

One of the processes that showed up was

root 3941 1 0 11:36 ttyACM0 00:00:00 pppd /dev/tts/modem0 user "my" password "isp" file /etc/ppp/options-gsm mtu 1500

user "my" password "isp" is the username and password for the apn for my ISP

See whats on your Pre....might point you in the right direction

Gx
    Thanks, did some digging. The /etc/ppp/options-gsm file isn't changed in 1.3.1. I followed the code to other files. Most don't contain the code I think. But I did find /usr/bin/TelephonyInterfaceLayerGsm, which was changed in 1.3.1.

A big file. I couldn't replace it with webos quick install (probably in use), so I made a new ROM with the old TelephonyInterfaceLayerGsm, just installed it and..... still doesn't work.
    Thanks, did some digging. The /etc/ppp/options-gsm file isn't changed in 1.3.1. I followed the code to other files. Most don't contain the code I think. But I did find /usr/bin/TelephonyInterfaceLayerGsm, which was changed in 1.3.1.

A big file. I couldn't replace it with webos quick install (probably in use), so I made a new ROM with the old TelephonyInterfaceLayerGsm, just installed it and..... still doesn't work.
    All quite frustrating...Which carrier are you on and what differentiates your carrier from everyone elses I wonder as most people are working OK with the Rebel?

I assume you checked that the carrier string in the edited CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 is exactly what's appearing on you're Pre.

I also had to upgrade my SIM to get it working properly with the Rebel...previously had an older version which show R when inserted with the Rebel.

Gx
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    All quite frustrating...Which carrier are you on and what differentiates your carrier from everyone elses I wonder as most people are working OK with the Rebel?

I assume you checked that the carrier string in the edited CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 is exactly what's appearing on you're Pre.

I also had to upgrade my SIM to get it working properly with the Rebel...previously had an older version which show R when inserted with the Rebel.

Gx
    It's all so weird since it works fine with 1.1.3 and the US 1.2. Even when I downgrade.

> /dev/tts/modem0 user "my" password "isp" < had the right username and password (it doesn't show the APN?)

My provider is Vodafone NL. The APN/user/pass is live.vodafone.com/vodafone/vodafone

I don't see anything wrong with that. Unless webOS has a problem with the dots in the APN or something.
    It's all so weird since it works fine with 1.1.3 and the US 1.2. Even when I downgrade.

> /dev/tts/modem0 user "my" password "isp" < had the right username and password (it doesn't show the APN?)

My provider is Vodafone NL. The APN/user/pass is live.vodafone.com/vodafone/vodafone

I don't see anything wrong with that. Unless webOS has a problem with the dots in the APN or something.
    Other APNs have dots so its hardly that.

I guess the next thing I would try is a SIM from a different carrier and see how far you get...might just point out some difference which you could then zoom in on.

I presume you're in the Netherlands and not roaming?

Gx
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    If you done other hacks to the database ie added a voicemail number make sure you upload this change before making any manual settings.

As soon as you make manual settings it seems the phone copies the database so any changes to the original database will be missed out in the version that is used while manual settings = on.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts

yo. try to see if there is the mobile internet plan or just plain 3g one. i live in romania, and here vodafone has two different settings for internet. the live one is for wap, the internet one is : internet.vodafone.ro / internet.vodafone.ro / vodafone ( apn/user/password). the live one doesnt work for activation! check out at customer support.
    regards.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Other APNs have dots so its hardly that.

I guess the next thing I would try is a SIM from a different carrier and see how far you get...might just point out some difference which you could then zoom in on.

I presume you're in the Netherlands and not roaming?

Gx
    No, not roaming. I tried another vodafone NL sim, it didn't work either. I don't have a sim from another provider, so I can't try, but I don't think it'll help any.

I'm pretty certain by now it's something in the webOS code. I tried overwriting all kinds a files in 1.3.1 with the 1.2 ones, even made a new ROM with these files, but it didn't help.

I tried so many different things, I just don't think it'll work. I've pretty much settled on 1.2 now and hope Palm will fix this in their next release - although they're probably busy fixing all the other bugs.

The annoying thing is, my Google calendar isn't syncing in 1.2. So I might have to go back to 1.1.3. Oh well, it's not like there were any groundbreaking changes since 1.1.3..
    FWIW, I've lost 3G as well on vodafone NL with an unlocked German Pre, with only the regular sim. Neither manual settings nor db3 hack work anymore. I'm guessing the "Invalid APN" error is triggered not by an actual error in the values provided (as they worked just fine on 1.3.1) but by something in the protocol with the provider (and vodafone NL rejecting our login attempts).

Any other vodafone users with/without working 3G in other countries?
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ozuzo View Post
    FWIW, I've lost 3G as well on vodafone NL with an unlocked German Pre, with only the regular sim.
    So it's not the rebel sim, but webOS changes in 1.3.1, as I thought. Any thoughts on which file is used to connect to vodafone?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast