Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello!

As I read on other sources people are trying to compile a version of Android for the Pre. I had an Android phone before and I do not like this OS.

Would it be possible - as the Pre is a Linux device - to port another Linux OS to the Pre, e.g. Maemo?
    DONT LIKE WebOS ?!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTFO
    With work, probably. Although the iPhone OS won't work (as far as I know)
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    why? the hardware isn't anything special. the os is where palm's future is at
    Technically yes but with no support and some dude in a basement as your developer problems and headaches will likely be the name of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    why? the hardware isn't anything special. the os is where palm's future is at
    Well, MacOSX is pretty picky about which hardware you put it on... I imagine that Mobile OSX (iPhone OS) is the same.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    would be cool to see a virtual machine app for the pre...would have to homebrew though
    Quote Originally Posted by odm4286 View Post
    would be cool to see a virtual machine app for the pre...would have to homebrew though
    They have that. It's called Classic.
    I'm all for putting whatever you want on whatever you want, but this is probably a ways off, so.. why wouldn't you just get an Android-based device? Are you THAT in love with its form factor?

/Kevin
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannes1983de View Post
    Would it be possible - as the Pre is a Linux device - to port another Linux OS to the Pre, e.g. Maemo?
    I only mentioned Android as an example..

I talked about any other open OS like Maemo or maybe another version of Debian etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    I'm all for putting whatever you want on whatever you want, but this is probably a ways off, so.. why wouldn't you just get an Android-based device? Are you THAT in love with its form factor?

/Kevin
    I'll tell you why. Fun and alternatives.

Someone knows how is the porting going?
    It may be possible, i was running the HTC Hero build on my HTC Touch winmo phone. It ran smooth but I certainly like WebOS better.
  13.    #13  
    On which HTC device did you run the build? I mean which Touch?

I had a Hero build on my Diamond 2, but it only was a mixture of Hero features like UI and basic WM6.5 system.
    I seen a video clip of Android running on an old Treo650 that's an interesting combo
    classic? doesn't that just emulate the old palm os. Id like to see multiple os running in card view obviously not xp or vista but multible mobile oses
    Quote Originally Posted by odm4286 View Post
    classic? doesn't that just emulate the old palm os. Id like to see multiple os running in card view obviously not xp or vista but multible mobile oses
    Yes. It does emulate the mobile operating system of the palm os. Ultimately I was just pointing out that they already have what you described. A virtual machine that runs in card view that emulates another operating system. Classic is pretty much exactly what you were describing. Maybe not exactly what you were envisioning but that is tough to know.
    that would be interesting indeed. blackberry os, apple iphone os, android, palm os, instinct, windows mobile os, be nice indeed.

but instead of working on these simple ideas.... somone should be trying to work on a solution to bring ptt on the pre, slingplayer, and a better battery life
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    I seen a video clip of Android running on an old Treo650 that's an interesting combo
    Seemed to only take about an hour to load up too.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    The biggest difficulty in porting another OS to any phone, I think, would be the hardware interfaces (think device drivers). Someone would need to create custom drivers for any hardware that is different between the two devices.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannes1983de View Post
    On which HTC device did you run the build? I mean which Touch?

I had a Hero build on my Diamond 2, but it only was a mixture of Hero features like UI and basic WM6.5 system.
    i had the Vogue/Touch (6900 I think it was). It wasn't a skin for WinMo you had to get the Heret Booter and the phone booted into an actual Android Build.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast