Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Hi all, I find my phone with 1.3.1 now is getting worse and worse with the problem of "too many cards". I have no cards open at all! Only the phone page can be open. A reboot, ye, can help. But I want to find the reason.

1. I already used 'mvapp' to move lots of software to other directory. so that the /var area is larger which you can see in the first picture.

2. I did not use commonly the software named 'switch..' (cannot remember the whole name) so my memory leak should not be caused by it.

3. I use the command 'top' to see what processes are using the memory. However, what I can see is that only luna use around 49% and there is still around 10M free memory. This means that no software is actually killing the memory? I also attach the picture.

4. I reboot my phone. Then it can work. With no cards open, the memory still has only 10M left. Now I already open 10 cards and the memory shows I have 6M left. However, I can still open more cards! It seems that it has nothing to do with how many memory left. figure 3 shows the memory info when 10 cards are open.

5. After I close all cards, amazingly, the memory show 38M free. (figure 4) It seems that after using a while, more memory is released from some where. That is why the system is more smooth after using a while (my personal experience). Compared with newly reboot phone, it is 28M free memory different.

So the question is how the system manages the memory? The problem of 'too many cards' seems to have nothing to do with how many memory left since the memory can be managed dynamicly.

Any expert can discover this problem further? Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by try0625; 11/22/2009 at 03:04 PM.
    Same here. I can have one browser page open, and the phone yells at me that it is out of memory. ANNOYING!
    download the patch that suppresses that message and forces the phone to do it anyway
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InIlIoN View Post
    download the patch that suppresses that message and forces the phone to do it anyway
    already no help.
    Quote Originally Posted by try0625 View Post
    1. I already used 'mvapp' to move lots of software to other directory. so that the /var area is larger which you can see in the first picture.
    The attached image shows "var used" to be 102MB and the recommendation to keep "var used" "well below" 100MB. As suggested, move your email, which, according to your info will free up 44MB of var.

To maximize var available you need to minimize var used.

I'm sure this will improve your card/memory performance.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    First off, mvapp is likely not going to improve the too many cards issue. mvapp helps with /var storage, not system memory. It is unfortunate that Palm calls storage "memory" as by definition they are two very different things. App Catalog runs into storage issues, not memory issues technically. Too many cards is related to system memory, not storage.

Is see that your LunaSysMgr is using 118MB of system memory. Is this with no cards running? LSM should be using under 90MB when all cards are closed. If no cards, something you have loaded likely has a memory leak - that is, not releasing memory when closed. Have you ever installed switcharoo? You said you don't 'commonly' use it... if it's still installed, could be the issue.
    Last edited by xorg; 11/22/2009 at 01:22 PM.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I recently submitted a patch that I think addresses this (at least for me after 2+ days of testing, it's been working great - I would love to see if it helps others..) - look for it in preware soon, or download it from here -

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...mory-leak.html

-mark
    Maybe it's an unrelated coincidence but since limiting my var used to < 15% to 20% by moving email along with apps seems to have eliminated the too-many cards issue for me. Perhaps an updated patch or app I DL'd after the 1.3.1 install was the real factor and I just assumed it was the mvapp mods.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Probably coincidence as reducing /var storage is not related to system memory. I run into the too many cards problem once in a while yet have very low /var used. In some cases, apps may not be releasing memory but it also could be a memory management issue with LunaSysMgr.

I'm thinking of adding a setup for daily reboot option to mvapp. It doesn't resolve memory mgmt issues, but would help avoid them.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Quote Originally Posted by try0625 View Post
    Hi all, I find my phone with 1.3.1 now is getting worse and worse with the problem of "too many cards". I have no cards open at all! Only the phone page can be open. A reboot, ye, can help. But I want to find the reason.

2. I did not use commonly the software named 'switch..' (cannot remember the whole name) so my memory leak should not be caused by it.

3. I use the command 'top' to see what processes are using the memory. However, what I can see is that only luna use around 49% and there is still around 10M free memory. This means that no software is actually killing the memory? I also attach the picture.

So what happened? Any one has a thought about this? Thank you.
    why not run webos repair utility and see if there is just a memory leak that can be fixed ???
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    First off, mvapp is likely not going to improve the too many cards issue. mvapp helps with /var storage, not system memory. It is unfortunate that Palm calls storage "memory" as by definition they are two very different things. App Catalog runs into storage issues, not memory issues technically. Too many cards is related to system memory, not storage.

Is see that your LunaSysMgr is using 118MB of system memory. Is this with no cards running? LSM should be using under 90MB when all cards are closed. If no cards, something you have loaded likely has a memory leak - that is, not releasing memory when closed. Have you ever installed switcharoo? You said you don't 'commonly' use it... if it's still installed, could be the issue.
    no I did not install switcharoo.
    yes, that is the memory when no cards run.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    why no one analyze it any more
    I had the same problem, cured it with a hard boot (pulled the battery). Went to HP support chat and they say: hold 'option', 'symbol' and 'r' to get a reset.

Then HP/Palm says: Preware and homebrew apps can and do corrupt the OS. Which is damned annoying, because I have only a very few apps: secustore lite and save/restore, the latter to capture data otherwise lost on a reset. Data that HP does not back up.

Other views?
    Quote Originally Posted by grankin View Post

Other views?
    The last post in this thread before you is 2 years old.