Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    From what I've read, the PRL file might only have some battery life impact if you do a lot of roaming...it determines the preferred roaming channel...can't see how it would impact battery life for "normal" use. That being said, I too updated my PRL, and network settings, and have experienced improved battery life. Go figure
    Thanks for the info on updating the PRL. Just did it without any problems
    Quote Originally Posted by elrodvoss View Post
    Well as for myself, after the 1.3.1 update, my battery life went to the crapper. I use to have 30-40% remaining life with moderate and thats with my bluetooth on (but not active) and wireless on (but not active).

Now since the update I can have everything off (but phone) and it will barely make it through a 10 hour day with little texting before I get the warning messages of low battery.

Ive even started to use the homebrew battery monitor program and I would see the "Drain per Hour %" range from 8-12% and sometimes higher if I was using txt or got email notifications (which I switched down to 15 mins).

I just completely the guidelines but I didnt drain the battery, but I will charge it overnight and then run the BatteryMonitor program and then I can compare the results that I have been seeing for the last 2-3 days vs now with the tweaks.

I hope it helps, cause 8-10 hours just aint enough to get me through the day. Without a working tweak, I would have to either get the improved battery or the extended battery. Of course the extended battery will not work with touchstone, so I hope this works.
    Did you somehow add yahoo sync (not IM)?
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    OK, updating my PRL and completely draining my battery has improved my battery life by leaps and bounds!!! Unbelievable! Thanks!
    OK, the Palm Pre is constantly connecting and searching for the best signal to connect to. Just how it works. It will look for sprint first and then for the next strongest signal it is ALLOWED to connect to. This is where the PRL comes into play and how it can affect battery life. The PRL is the "list" of roaming partners and towers it's allowed to connect to and is it's "authorization" to do so if it can not connect to sprint first.
    If the PRL is out of date, the pre will drain the battery faster as it is searching for another tower to connect to if needed. An up to date PRL is the solution to a number of other issues as well and updating it can resolve things from data connectivity issues to service and coverage issues. Updating it is one of the first troubleshooting steps on any device here at sprint. It does affect more than you realize. If the Pre is always searching for a strong signal because it is not "authorized" to connect due to out of date PRL, it is using resources for that which can affect other apps running smoothly/quickly and can affect battery drain.
    Thanks, will see what happens on Bell after doing a PRL update. It was 31408, now 31412.
    Last edited by DS_Palm_Lvr; 11/25/2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: PRL number
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    PRL (preferred Roaming list) should have no impact on battery life if you are on Sprint signal.
    MMMM not sure about that...

Wouldn't it be the same as when you phone is getting a weak EVDo Signal???

It keeps searching, and thus uses more battery, and drains faster?
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Updating Worked for me
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Seems to have made some difference for me with Reception in my fringe area. I think this leads to battery life extension.
    I have had dramatic improvements today by leaving wifi off. Generally since updating to 1.3.1 last week my battery was almost dead before I left work for the day. I'm almost done my workday and am at 82%.

I think the wifi was not shutting off at times when the screen was off.
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    Did you somehow add yahoo sync (not IM)?
    I was always able to add Yahoo Mail (synergy) with no problems, but I wasnt able to log into Yahoo IM. Though oddly enough, it would log me off my other Yahoo IMs, but would not complete the login.
    Quote Originally Posted by elrodvoss View Post
    Well as for myself, after the 1.3.1 update, my battery life went to the crapper. I use to have 30-40% remaining life with moderate and thats with my bluetooth on (but not active) and wireless on (but not active).

Now since the update I can have everything off (but phone) and it will barely make it through a 10 hour day with little texting before I get the warning messages of low battery.

Ive even started to use the homebrew battery monitor program and I would see the "Drain per Hour %" range from 8-12% and sometimes higher if I was using txt or got email notifications (which I switched down to 15 mins).

I just completely the guidelines but I didnt drain the battery, but I will charge it overnight and then run the BatteryMonitor program and then I can compare the results that I have been seeing for the last 2-3 days vs now with the tweaks.

I hope it helps, cause 8-10 hours just aint enough to get me through the day. Without a working tweak, I would have to either get the improved battery or the extended battery. Of course the extended battery will not work with touchstone, so I hope this works.
    I wanted to quote and update this, with my results. Attached is a scan of my phone when I was done.

I charged up all night and keep it on the charger until I went to work. I did not place it on the charger until I came home and after I scanned the front.

My usage was light. Only 4 Email notification, 10 Web Page loads, 3 txt messages, and about 5 mins of using some of the soundboard programs (super trooper, South Park, etc). Also I keep the wireless and bluetooth completely off.

From the attachment you can see, that I have 41% remaining battery power after almost 9 hours. Drain per Hour was at 6.28 at time of scan, with remaining time of 6.53 hours. I had the program update every 1 min, for the best averages.

You can also see by the bar, the is was a slow decline through the whole day. No sharp down spikes.

So the advice from the OP seems to improve battery life GREATLY if you had issues from the 1.3.1 update. Before I tweaked my phone, it would be dead with the same amount of usage within 6-7 hours. Now I am at about Pre-1.3.1 battery usage.

Overall, good advice and good catch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elrodvoss; 11/25/2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Multi-Quote
    Use the screen capture command next time. It's orange key + sym + P.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I ran the interactive test and the results stated my battery was 89% charged however, the phone dislplayed 93%. I am guessing I should let in drain and recharge to correct this. If the test and phone match then maybe you don't need to drain your battery. Just a thought.
    Last edited by acv4; 11/26/2009 at 08:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by deanandbek View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lazslo11
    Check your PRL setting in Device Info, it should be 60657. Changing your Network setting to Sprint Only instead of Automatic helps with battery life. Both of these reset after 1.3.1 update. You can find these in Dial Pad-Preferences-Network/Network Settings.

A big thanks to this post that started the conversation about battery life and how to possibly fix the 1.3.1 bug that hit some Pre's. It works. I reset my PRL to 60657 and let my battery drain to 0%. When the phone was fully charged thereafter, my battery performance is back to normal or even improved somewhat.

To see what your PRL is at, go to "device info" and click "more info" at the bottom. On the next page, scroll down and see what number your PRL has. Mine WAS 60654 but needed to be 60657. In order to reset your phones PRL, open your phone dial pad and click on the Sprint dropdown (top left). Click Preferences and scroll down to Preferred Roaming List. Click "Update PRL". While I was there I also clicked "Update Network Settings". Once it's finished I did a phone reset (Orange key + SYM + R). When the phone comes back up, go back to "device info", click "more info" and check the PRL #. It should have reset to 60657. If it didn't reset, somebdoy suggested calling Sprint to reset your PRL.

At this point I drained my phone battery to nothing and recharged. It's been working 100 times better in all ways since updating the PRL. Battery is back to solid performance, pages move quicker and snappier. 1.3.1 works so much better now that I found the solution. SOOOO HAPPY AGAIN!!! Thanks for the advice. Hope it works for you too!
    For some reason, when I tap "sprint" in the top left corner, nothing happens. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
    For some reason, when I tap "sprint" in the top left corner, nothing happens. Any ideas?
    You need to be in the phone dialer screen before you can do it. It won't work on the main background.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omarsr View Post
    OK, the Palm Pre is constantly connecting and searching for the best signal to connect to. Just how it works. It will look for sprint first and then for the next strongest signal it is ALLOWED to connect to. This is where the PRL comes into play and how it can affect battery life. The PRL is the "list" of roaming partners and towers it's allowed to connect to and is it's "authorization" to do so if it can not connect to sprint first.
    If the PRL is out of date, the pre will drain the battery faster as it is searching for another tower to connect to if needed. An up to date PRL is the solution to a number of other issues as well and updating it can resolve things from data connectivity issues to service and coverage issues. Updating it is one of the first troubleshooting steps on any device here at sprint. It does affect more than you realize. If the Pre is always searching for a strong signal because it is not "authorized" to connect due to out of date PRL, it is using resources for that which can affect other apps running smoothly/quickly and can affect battery drain.
    It's a list of roaming partners, NOT a list of towers. This entire conversation of an updated PRL impacting battery life presumes 2 things:
    First, that you are spending a LARGE portion of your day roaming. Second, while roaming you just so happen to be in an area with 2 available non-sprint networks, one with a strong signal and one with a weak signal. The phone was previously attempting to use the weaker signal (because the PRL told it to), and now with the new PRL it just so happens that the stronger of the 2 networks in your location got re-prioritized to be above the weaker network.

The odds of this impacting a lot of people is so remote it's hard to imagine. And for the fraction of people who might actually have a positive impact because of a PRL change, you would think that there would be an equal number of people with a negative impact. (same scenario I described above, but in reverse)

Sprint doesn't tweak the PRL list based on anyone's coverage - it's all about them re-negotiating roaming deals. If they can get a better deal from Verizon in northern Wisconsin, for example, then the next PRL update will set Verizon in northern Wisconsin at a higher priority.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    MMMM not sure about that...

Wouldn't it be the same as when you phone is getting a weak EVDo Signal???

It keeps searching, and thus uses more battery, and drains faster?
    No, if you're not roaming then the PRL update has nothing to do with whatever battery-life changes you're seeing.
    I did this and I'm trying to let the battery drain. My phone been going for 18 hrs straight now.

I don't know how this works but it did for me. Currently at 25% and its going on 19 hrs.

Same thing is happening for my father's Pre and he has roaming disabled. I think I get a little bit longer than he does tho.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I posted this in a thread in the gsm section but I thought it worth posting in here. I was getting 6% + per hour battery drain on standby since 1.3.1. I uninstalled all of my patches today and my battery usage dropped to 0.8% on standby. I dont know which patch it was, I had 17 installed, none of which were dangerous ones.

Worth trying for anyone who is still having battery trouble
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast