Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    do not drain battery all the way. the battery for the first 3 to 4 weeks loves to be charged all the way all the time . this is known throughout in the forums just ask around or call palm or your local tech. store or whatever. just dont drain your battery all the way unless you just want to tempt fate . it all on you if you have read this post !! good day!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Sorry but I don't think you know what you're talking about. Letting the battery go to zero has negative effects yes, but is needed in order to calibrate the electronic.

Li-Ion and Li-Po-batteries have electronics to prevent overcharging and explosion/fire. But after some time of use the electronics gets "off", doesn't know the exact charge of the battery.

Apple for instance recommends to recalibrate every few months (if you're only using your MacBook stationary even EVERY month), letting your battery drain till the notebook shuts itself down and after that wait a couple of hours to get it really empty.
    -> support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

I noticed this myself after coconut battery said the health of my battery was only 80% or so and after recalibration it jumped up to nearly its original capacity.

I've done this quite a few times, my battery is two and a half years old and still got 95% of its original capacity.

€dit: Apple uses Lithium-Polymer-accus.
    this is not your typical battery read through your paperwork it should be in there somewhere ,if not serach it out in the forums i dont need to lie but ask if you dont believe.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanTheMan View Post
    you try searching the forums?
    it's TTY, under phone preferences just turn it off.
    thanks man, yeah i tried searching for it.i remembered reading about it somewhere, just forgot what it meant.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I tried it and it worked. Battery life is approx 40-50% better!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblerazz View Post
    I'm with bell as well and my PRL is listed as 31408. I assume if I change it to the one listed it'll be a Sprint phone. hehehe

anybody have any info?
    I'm not expecting much from this, but I'm on Bell too and just updated mine from the phone prefs and am now at 31412. For sure Bell's and Sprint's PRL numbers will be different, and with Bell and Telus tower share arrangements this may have an effect even if you don't wander far from home. Here's hoping, but as I said I don't actually expect any noticeable change from having done this...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    ill try it
    i updated PRL and Network setting...my phone still works the same...no improvement
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Never had the battery problem, but checked the PRL...updated, update took...performance gain noticable! Not sure why, but definitely noticable. Thanks for starting this thread!
  9.    #49  
    Just followed my own instructions to update my mother-in-laws Pre (yes I even convinced her what a great phone it was). Her Pre had been losing battery power at an alarming rate even before the 1.3.1 update and continued thereafter. I just checked her PRL--it was wrong. Updated the settings, drained her battery and recharged as instructed. Once again, another happy Pre owner. Battery is functioning at normal rate for the first time in weeks and she is very happy! She might even let me carve the turkey this year she's so happy! And I get my own pumpkin pie!
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    If you roam a lot then updating your PRL might perhaps help your battery life if you are in a fringe coverage area, if the previous PRL was forcing you onto a network with a lower signal than the new one does.

Having a stronger signal because of a newer PRL might perhaps speed up the phone if you are in a fringe coverage area, since the phone does have a tendency to become jittery when it's flipping back and forth between networks.

Tossing these steps together as a magical fix for everyone's bad battery life is rather superstitious Very few people will be helped by this; the rest are experiencing a placebo effect.
    +1
    I think this thread is living proof of the power of suggestion. I've been a Sprint user for years (10 to be exact) and it never ceases to amaze me how much emphasis is given to the lowly PRL file. It's been credited for everything short of world peace. There's just no way that a PRL update would have any meaningful effect on battery life or performance. It's more of a billing impact for Sprint than any real usage change for the end user.

Being that I'm superstitious, I'm going to update mine anyway just in case...
    Quote Originally Posted by datmescandude View Post
    i updated PRL and Network setting...my phone still works the same...no improvement
    I let my battery go down to 5% then recharged. Was I supposed to let the battery drain all the way?
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    K, little confused on this. Which test did the rep have you run? If you select power, well, then there's three more options to choose from post that...

The rep said to run ALL of them. I just ran the power test, reset, and charged. seems better
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    +1
    I think this thread is living proof of the power of suggestion. I've been a Sprint user for years (10 to be exact) and it never ceases to amaze me how much emphasis is given to the lowly PRL file. It's been credited for everything short of world peace. There's just no way that a PRL update would have any meaningful effect on battery life or performance. It's more of a billing impact for Sprint than any real usage change for the end user.

Being that I'm superstitious, I'm going to update mine anyway just in case...
    i disagree. after the 1.3.1 update i couldn't connect to Sprint at all. no problems after i updated the prl.
  14.    #54  
    I ran all batteries on each Pre to below 10%. Usually in that area the phone goes to zero pretty quickly. I understand the skepticism but it does seem to be helping the majority of Pre users with this problem.
    ok, i was down to 16 % and just did what everyone said to do. i'll keep you posted if it helped.
    Well as for myself, after the 1.3.1 update, my battery life went to the crapper. I use to have 30-40% remaining life with moderate and thats with my bluetooth on (but not active) and wireless on (but not active).

Now since the update I can have everything off (but phone) and it will barely make it through a 10 hour day with little texting before I get the warning messages of low battery.

Ive even started to use the homebrew battery monitor program and I would see the "Drain per Hour %" range from 8-12% and sometimes higher if I was using txt or got email notifications (which I switched down to 15 mins).

I just completely the guidelines but I didnt drain the battery, but I will charge it overnight and then run the BatteryMonitor program and then I can compare the results that I have been seeing for the last 2-3 days vs now with the tweaks.

I hope it helps, cause 8-10 hours just aint enough to get me through the day. Without a working tweak, I would have to either get the improved battery or the extended battery. Of course the extended battery will not work with touchstone, so I hope this works.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    i disagree. after the 1.3.1 update i couldn't connect to Sprint at all. no problems after i updated the prl.
    Then you had something else going on. The PRL has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to connect to Sprint. All the PRL does is specify tell your phone which roaming partner to prefer when more than 1 choice is available. That's it, end of story.

Now, as far the whole cycling of the battery thing who knows - maybe that does make some difference for certain people. But the PRL update by itself just isn't going to make a noticeable difference for 99.9% of us.
    Last edited by Minsc; 11/25/2009 at 07:14 AM.
    I updated my PRL and my Network settings, didnt do anything as far as draining the battery. Im getting much better battery life, and this is def no placebo effect.

Generally, I can take my phone off the Touchstone, and in about 4 hours of moderate usage (texts, few emails, 2/3 calls, check fb/other sites here and there, etc) and Im close to 70%, if not lower depending on reception.

Now..I can do the same and my bat life is closer to 81/83 %. Excellent tip.

EDIT: Ive also been keeping my BT connected and turned on througout the work day, and im still getting better life.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    So does anyone know what "update network settings" actually does? Maybe this is what is responsible for people seeing a battery life boost??
  20.    #60  
    I also update network settings while I am updating the PRL. I figured it couldn't hurt. It would be nice if someone from Palm or Sprint or even the main Pre Central dudes/dudettes could tell us just how this solution seems to be working for most people. I hope it helps you too. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast