1.    #1  
    Hi. I am new to Pre, after 8 years on Windows mobile.

On WinMo, the phone dialer can be used to "spell out" someone's name. For example, typing "5-6-4-6" will find any contacts named "John"

Is there any way to enable this on the Pre? Patches are ok. Right now, I need to pull the keyboard out, or mess with the virtual keyboard (which I find lacks refinement)

Any ideas?
  2.    #2  
    Deleted
    Last edited by Gumbochief; 11/22/2009 at 10:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbochief View Post
    Hi. I am new to Pre, after 8 years on Windows mobile.

On WinMo, the phone dialer can be used to "spell out" someone's name. For example, typing "5-6-4-6" will find any contacts named "John"

Is there any way to enable this on the Pre? Patches are ok. Right now, I need to pull the keyboard out, or mess with the virtual keyboard (which I find lacks refinement)

Any ideas?
    Once you have some contacts saved , do as you have stated , it works on the Pre as well.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Once you have some contacts saved , do as you have stated , it works on the Pre as well.
    SOmething is wrong with my settings then. It is not working. I have hundreds of contacts pulled in with numbers via Exchange Active Sync.

It does not perform as you say.
    I believe you are correct. You can't use the phone keypad to perform this feat. You must slide the keyboard out and type j-o-h-n to locate your contacts using the universal search capability of the Pre. Try it - you'll like it - alot!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerlsturgiss View Post
    I believe you are correct. You can't use the phone keypad to perform this feat. You must slide the keyboard out and type j-o-h-n to locate your contacts using the universal search capability of the Pre. Try it - you'll like it - alot!
    I know the universal feature is there. I just think it makes sense to have it work both ways.

If I am making a call, why should I need to pull out the keyboard?
  7.    #7  
    My fear is confirmed. Found this on the engadget site, when searching via google. What a basic, feature to omit. Stupid call, Palm.

During a call, you have options for speakerphone, mute, back to the dialer, and adding callers. There's nothing drastically wrong with the phone app on the Pre, but there are some gaps in logic that we don't follow. For instance, when you dial digits, it doesn't search your address book for strings and pull up matches from your contacts list... it just lets you dial.
    Sorry but the only logic-gap I see is in the assumption that a smart phone dial pad which is simply that, an dial pad (with easy access to contacts via a dedicated button) should function as a numerical keypad on a "dumb" phone.

Makes absolutely no sense. iGadget, er uh, Engadget does it again.