1.    #1  
    I just want to start by saying this site is GREAT! This has got to be one of the most informational forums I've ever joined. I hope it stays updated and recent in the future. But I do have some questions.
    1) I read about all these rooting your Pre guides and then I see posts that say that the guide is outdated and there are more recent ways to root your Pre. Could someone point me in the direction of the most recent, most newb friendliest guide?
    2) Do I have to re-root my pre and re-install all my patches and homebrew apps everytime I update WebOS?
    Thanks a lot guys, I expect to have a really pleasurable time on these forums.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    1) No rooting required
    2) you need to remove patches and themes prior to webos update
    Quote Originally Posted by krnggangpe94 View Post
    I just want to start by saying this site is GREAT! This has got to be one of the most informational forums I've ever joined. I hope it stays updated and recent in the future. But I do have some questions.
    1) I read about all these rooting your Pre guides and then I see posts that say that the guide is outdated and there are more recent ways to root your Pre. Could someone point me in the direction of the most recent, most newb friendliest guide?
    2) Do I have to re-root my pre and re-install all my patches and homebrew apps everytime I update WebOS?
    1) I would suggest starting here http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ll-v2-9-a.html this is more about getting your pre into developer mode, and then installing patches, homebrew apps, and some themes. you can also use preware, which is all on device, and great
    Index of /
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/preware

2) at each update you MUST uninstall your patches and themes. preware has a way of doing this the EPR program which you can run AFTER you uninstall your themes. then you can reinstall the patches when they become available for the new update. that is what worked for me, and others, in the 1.3.1 update.

rooting and homebrew/patching are sometimes labels of confusion on the forums.

the homebrew and patching/themes are done by putting the phone in developer mode, this is akin to using the administrator mode in windows. you can install anything you want, and do all kinds of things.

furthermore, the developer mode is built-in by palm, and can be accessed by typing upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart in universal search, there are other ways as well.

the developer mode is only needed when you first install one of the download managers, like preware, by hooking up to your computer. once you have one of these installed, you can turn developer mode off, and it will still work. the installers will put a service on your pre that allows for safe installation of various programs and tweaks, and manages these without the need for developer mode.

rooting, is in one sense the same as dev mode, but for most purposes here on the forums, it is for deeper access, and often synonymous with command line type access. people who are familiar with programing can do powerful and on the fly things with a command line, and can gain access to some core functions, like the flash on the camera.

those with better knowledge please correct me where i am wrong.

-W
    There are four lights.
    Follow the two links below and read the thread. Very good information that should answer many of your questions as well as spark many new questions.
  5.    #5  
    Aw... I can't read any of the links, I need 10 posts. But thank you very much for your help guys. This is what I mean about this forum, extremely quick and helpful responses.
    If all you want is to patch your phone, and do homebrew, you do not need to root phone. Simply get preware installed via the WebOS-QI method.
    hxxp://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/215339-please-help-test-new-preware-getting-started-guide.html

I did it yesterday. Just read the entire first post before doing anything.

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbochief View Post
    If all you want is to patch your phone, and do homebrew, you do not need to root phone. Simply get preware installed via the WebOS-QI method.
    hxxp://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/215339-please-help-test-new-preware-getting-started-guide.html

I did it yesterday. Just read the entire first post before doing anything.
    Okay I just finished reading the post and all my questions are virtually gone except one:
    When I want to update WebOS, what program do I use to backup my homebrew apps, themes, and patches? And what program do I use to backup all my other info? Kind of like NVBackup for PalmOS if anyone is familiar with that. (contacts, calendar, apps, etc.)
    Okay I just finished reading the post and all my questions are virtually gone except one:
    When I want to update WebOS, what program do I use to backup my homebrew apps, themes, and patches? And what program do I use to backup all my other info? Kind of like NVBackup for PalmOS if anyone is familiar with that. (contacts, calendar, apps, etc.)
    Homebrew apps stay. Themes and patches must be re-applied. Note, sometimes patches need updating to support the new OS version

The contacts, appointmets, etc, are retained.

If something gets screwed up, there is a built in backup tool in WebOS, that is supposed to pull settings back down from the palm backup servers. Of course, it has failed for many people
  9.    #9  
    What app would I use to reapply the patches? Or would I have to manually reapply them one by one?
    Aw... I can't read any of the links, I need 10 posts. But thank you very much for your help guys. This is what I mean about this forum, extremely quick and helpful responses.
    Good point, sorry..I should of posted the links.
    What app would I use to reapply the patches? Or would I have to manually reapply them one by one?
    Use Preware and install one by one.Good luck.
  12.    #12  
    Thank you very much guys. All of you have been so helpful
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Is there a newbee method of installing Preware on a system that uses Windows 7?
    Visor Deluxe -> Visor Platinum -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by paz5559 View Post
    not that I am aware of. There should be ample info in the links above.
    Quote Originally Posted by paz5559 View Post
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...5-minutes.html

It covers ANY desktopOS. Enjoy!!
    Okay, there was something said above that I wasn't aware of. So once I get Preware installed, I no longer need to be in Development Mode? Does this include if I want to use WebOS Quick Install? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by f1nzup View Post
    Okay, there was something said above that I wasn't aware of. So once I get Preware installed, I no longer need to be in Development Mode? Does this include if I want to use WebOS Quick Install? Thanks!
    Using Preware does not require Dev mode, but to use WebOS QI, it does.