1.    #1  
    anyone check out the videos of the guy who did the pixi vs. pre side-by-side performance tests?

why is the pixi with an older processor outperforming the pre with a supposedly more capable processor? Even if it is clocked slower than the pixi, the more capable processor should be outperforming the pixi.

what's the deal?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I hate posts like this. "***".... Pixi has newer hardware. It's not just about the processor.

If you want the Pixi, get it. I'm happy with my Pre.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 11/21/2009 at 11:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    I hate posts like this. "***"...
    <<Thread Renamed>>
    Just call me Berd.
    lots of things, for example a 2mp cam vs 3mp

or the fact that the pre has more screen to render. also, how the devices work underload is not well elucidated by the video, i myself use multitasking, and so have many cards open all the time.

and then I'm sure there are other things those more knowledgeable than myself could tell you.

I just watched the multiple cards video (eating some of my words), seems like the Pre works faster, and is more responsive with multiple cards open.

as far as under load, I still feel that it is unclear, in that, I will open a web page, switch to email while it loads in background, read/send, and switch back, while i have music in the background. I may also be loading several pages all at once. the quick launch bar can be used to open a new card before the first one opens, so i can open SMS, email, web and tasks in about
    Last edited by windzilla; 11/22/2009 at 09:37 AM.
    I guess you didn't see the 'multiple cards' comparison video.
    yeah I was under the impression that while it is a slower processor, its actually new and has not been used in other devices before....I could be wrong, anyone care to chime in?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post

or the fact that the pre has more screen to render. also, how the devices work underload is not well elucidated by the video, i myself use multitasking, and so have many cards open all the time.

and then I'm sure there are other things those more knowledgeable than myself could tell you.

a
    Love the use of the word elucidated. Just had to say that.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post

a
    Quote Originally Posted by irishquinn View Post
    Love the use of the word elucidated. Just had to say that.
    +1
    Old Kyocera Phone (pay as you go) > Motorola RAZR > Palm Centro > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    yeah I was under the impression that while it is a slower processor, its actually new and has not been used in other devices before....I could be wrong, anyone care to chime in?
    It's new and hasn't been used before, but it's still very much inferior to that in the Pre.

I haven't watched the videos linked on the front page, but the article mentions:

The results are interesting, with the Pixi being nearly as fast (web browsing) and sometimes even faster (boot time, camera performance) than the Pre.
    Well, web browsing is highly dependent on CPU speed and Internet connection. Even if both use EVDO, the Pre has a huge advantage in CPU (which is partially negated by having to render 25,600 more pixels).

Boot time is generally more dependent on other factors, such as drive speed. The Pre and the Pixi both use flash memory to load the OS off of, but I know that the Pre's flash is very slow. I've got old dirtcheap SD cards that can write and read faster than the Pre's flash. I speculated in the article comments about this, it's possible that maybe the Pixi uses slightly faster flash memory which would help it to boot faster. Regardless, the CPU doesn't play much of a factor here.

Finally, camera performance, again that's not very dependent on CPU speed. The main factor is that the Pre has a higher resolution camera, so that's an extra million pixels that it has to process and store compared to the Pixi.

And then of course, it's my understanding that the Pre has double the RAM of the Pixi, which is why you can't have as many cards open at once on the Pixi.
  10.    #10  
    jhoff80 is my pre guru.

thanks for clearing it up!