Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What I miss most from Windows mobile is how it puts the most recent calendar appointments on the home screen. Is there any way to do this on the Pre yet?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I agree with you. I've come to the realization that for smartphones, I really like having a "home screen" that supports plugins. (the most useful type of plugin being an agenda (upcoming appts) plugin) Even though I like the card metaphor on webos, I do miss the Today screen on WM. Android also allows this type of home screen extensibility.

If only there was a way to combine the 2 concepts... A pluggable/customizable home screen that had a fast task switcher which could be invoked with a button or gesture?
    nice Dr. Who dog.

anyway, im pretty sure there is an app that gives you a home screen like that.
    After struggling through a few years with a couple of Windows Mobile phones, I must say that I can't bring myself to miss _anything_ about them. Yes, they did more: video recording, voice recording, better PIM, etc. However, the fact that I found Windows Mobile pretty much unusable in the real work rendered anything positive about those phones moot.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    After struggling through a few years with a couple of Windows Mobile phones, I must say that I can't bring myself to miss _anything_ about them. Yes, they did more: video recording, voice recording, better PIM, etc. However, the fact that I found Windows Mobile pretty much unusable in the real work rendered anything positive about those phones moot.
    I concur. I've been using a Moto-Q phone with Windows Mobile 5 for the last few years and I don't miss it a bit. WebOS is light years ahead of WM, which now seems like a dinosaur.

I do wish there was a "Today Screen" on my Palm Pixi, but I can get by using a wonderful Preware app called "Agenda".
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I think after we get the video recording, 3d graphics, and the app catalog gets out of beta we should all start asking for widgets.

Yeah, I've never had a phone with widget capability, but when I'm looking at Android phones, I can't help but feel they're way more useful than a static image.

The closest thing I can get to a widget in webOS is by putting the calendar on the quick launch bar so it will show me the date. That's blocked by the unlock button, though.

The patches that put the date on the top bar are helpful, but they suffer from the same small, hard to read from a distance font that the clock does. They also vie for space with the menu button for apps with long names.
    I love my pre so much, but I miss the open ability of WM. You could do whatever you wanted to those phones. I loved xda and everything they could do. But with time the pre should get to that point.
    I know it's coming for the pre, but I do miss video recording.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    What do I miss about WM? Well...nothing.
    Ouch!
    I Only really miss one thing and it's fairly minor. I keep my work schedule in my calendar and my schedule is random so I have to manually put it in every week. On my Touch Pro I could copy and paste my appointments to to different days so I didn't have to input them every time. Now to do anything similar to this I have to use my PC and set it up on Google Calendar. Like I said, it's minor but still something I miss.
    I've never owned a WM device, but WM and Palm OS let you control almost anything via keyboard shortcuts.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I miss Japanese input on Windows Mobile. It took a lot of work to get it working on WM5 then WM6 then WM6.1. I really hope Palm gets on the ball with some kind of Asian IME going.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I miss Japanese input on Windows Mobile. It took a lot of work to get it working on WM5 then WM6 then WM6.1. I really hope Palm gets on the ball with some kind of Asian IME going.
    that's what i miss most
    I miss Live Search.
    I miss the McRib Sammich at Mcdonalds...
    And the Twisted Metal Series on my Playstation...
    and my Jordan XIII's...

But after 2 years with Winmo 6 and 6.5 on my mogul and touch pro there is nothing I miss about it. It can hang itself with it's crappy ui.
    my wife just stated using my old touch pro. Put the newest 6.5 rom on there and wow it has lots of eye candy. (home screen has animated weatger).

but I it ran really choppy, and th UI is nowhere as easy to use. And since windows is slow and the screen has to be redrawn in landscape, bah....just more delays
    Voice Dial and Shazam, and that is it.

I now have time on my hand to play with my Pre vs running maintenance on my Diamond with Windows. That was the hardest part to get used to!!!
    I miss being able to listen to Sirius Satellite Radio, Shazam and voice Dial.
    I never thought I'd miss Windows Mobile, as I always assumed it was an unfinished mess compared to other products. However my Touch Pro with hacked WM6.5 flashed to it felt far more complete (and unfortunately stable) than my Pre.

I guess the thing I miss most is being able to reliably make / receive calls without dropping a huge portion of them.

Following that, the biggest thing I miss is Sat Nav, or even any way to add locations or layers to Google Maps, or use street view.

I miss video recording more than I thought, and I miss nice, sharp, foucussed pictures.

I miss being able to drag DivX vids from my PC straight onto my phone, and play them back with TV out.

I miss being able to take out the SD card and transfer files quickly. The Pre's USB seems ridiculously slow.

I miss editing Word and Excel documents on the fly.

I miss copying text from the browser.

I miss sending and receiving contact cards.

I miss streaming media.

I miss tethering, but I think I've almost solved that.

I really miss being able to comment on photos on Facebook. Friendflow, x.facebook.com and touch.facebook.com won't let me do it. I can't get on m.facebook.com or just facebook.com as the pre redirects me to x.facebook.com

I know there's no point in complaining now, but these are all things that I either expected to be in the Pre for the PREmium (hehe) price tag, or thought I could live without. Frankly I now hugely regret my purchase as I can't see what the Pre does that a Windows phone that costs 75 from Expansys wouldn't do, other than pinch to zoom. Whoever said you can't polish a turd is wrong. This is the best looking piece of cr@p I've ever owned.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast