1.    #1  
    Took the plunge and got the Pre from my local Sprint store last night. Added it as the fourth line of my Everything Plus Family Data plan, so I will be test driving it for the next 29 days to see if it will be able to replace my BB Tour.

First impressions:
    -the slider seems pretty tight when moving up and down, not too much of an oreo affect yet.
    -got the snap on cases from the Sprint store, which really fits nice, and offers good protection. The only donwside is that it was hard to open the microUSB port to charge it, and with the case on, I cannot open the slider if the usb cable is attached. (I won't plunk down any $$$ for a touchstone till I see if I'm going to keep it).
    -activation was very smooth, did it before I left the store.
    -the virtual keypad for the phone is much superior to the one for the iPhone.
    -I am dissappointed that I won't be able to sync with my Outlook programs the way I do with the BB or my other phones I've had. I'm exploring the 3rd party solutions that Palm offers. IMHO, I would have expected Palm to step up to the plate and offer this as an option right out of the box.
    -I'm going to be looking at adding the Classic App to see if the eReader program that I use will function. That will only be a stop gap till Fictionwise releases their version for WebOS (C'mon, they have one for the Android, for crying out loud!).
    -documentation is pretty sparse, don't know if I want to spring for the Pre For Dummies book yet, though.
    -mine has OS 1.1.0 I believe. Haven't had a chance to try updating it yet, since my home is in poor reception area. I do get EVDO reception, better than on the BB, but still not all the time.

I'm approaching this with an open mind, having read the forums since the Pre was announced. I'm aware of all the issues that are circulating around the phone, but want to form my own opinions. So I'll probably be asking some pretty basic questions. I'd appreciate some honest answers, since I'm not looking to dis the phone or anyone, just learn all I can about the phone in the next 29 days.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I've had my phone for about two weeks now. I haven't had many issues with my phone. I'm happy i took the plunge. I was worried after reading these forums but it seems there is a vocal minority. . .
    yeah these forums make the pre look like a POS, which is not. just the same problems and people who cannot see the search button on the top right of the forums.

the phone works well cause of the pre, i got facebook and a gmail. and all the synching is a bit confusing from palm profile to gmail, but it working good now for me. the phone is a great phone im enjoying it every day
    don't buy those stupid books. Everything you need to know is here. Save your money for the touchstone.
    check Reviews>PreGuide on the home page and it should cover your basic needs without having to waste money on those books.
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Congrats . As for updating the phone, just put it on your WiFi network and download the update that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    -the slider seems pretty tight when moving up and down, not too much of an oreo affect yet.
    Interesting that you brought that up. There's been some discussion about how "picky" folks on the forum are. I think this is a good thing to watch for, but I daresay that had you not been a member of this forum, "oreo effect" would likely not be something on your radar...

[/QUOTE]
    I am dissappointed that I won't be able to sync with my Outlook programs the way I do with the BB or my other phones I've had. I'm exploring the 3rd party solutions that Palm offers. IMHO, I would have expected Palm to step up to the plate and offer this as an option right out of the box.
    I would recommend getting a GMail account for now (if you don't have one already). Use that as your contact list while you evaluate. If you decide that you want to keep the Pre, you can either continue with Google for your contacts and such, or go with an Exchange Hosted service, so you can continue to use Outlook.

I would also recommend you export your exsiting contacts into a CSV, then import them into Google Contacts. The Palm Profile is difficult (at best) to get an export of the contacts, Google is not. Being able to export gives you a good local backup of the contact information.

-mine has OS 1.1.0 I believe. Haven't had a chance to try updating it yet, since my home is in poor reception area. I do get EVDO reception, better than on the BB, but still not all the time.
    I'd recommend you update. You're going to have to eventually, so no time like the present.

Good luck. Hope you like the phone.
    If you have a Gmail account, go into Outlook and export your contacts into csv file. Import it to Gmail and add the Gmail account via the Contacts app.
  9.    #9  
    I am really starting to like the design of the phone. It's still a slippery little devil, even with the case I got from Sprint on it. I do intend to do the 1.3.1 update as soon as I can get a stable signal. With regards to the oreo affect, I am aware that responses to it have been all over the board. Right now, mine, two days out of the box, shows a little side to side motion, but nothing too drastic from what I've seen other phones.

As for the situation with Outlook. I currently have two computer that I am using, one at home, one at work. (I use my phone for both personal and business). My work computer is one that I do most of my business scheduling with, as well as professional contacts. It is really not an option for me to move all of that to a GMail account. I really don't see why I should change and readapt my lifestyle so I can have the latest cutting edge product. Nothing against Synergy or that concept, which is why I felt that Palm should have given other options out of the box. My scheduling is done at work, on a network. I get an email, wanting my response to a meeting time, and will I be there. It automatically schedules that in Outlook. I want to be able to sync my Pre to my desktop so all of those changes can then go on the phone. THe building I work in prevents us from getting cell recpetion most of the time. There is no way my employer is going to allow me to hook my computer to a Google account. (Heck, our internet access is so limited, that we routinely cannot load full web pages due to the html code that is on the page. I go to Sprint.com and can't see the banner picture on the main page). I guess what it will boil down to is how much I want to change my daily routine and adapt to the new technology to see if I'm going to keep the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Interesting that you brought that up. There's been some discussion about how "picky" folks on the forum are. I think this is a good thing to watch for, but I daresay that had you not been a member of this forum, "oreo effect" would likely not be something on your radar...

I would recommend getting a GMail account for now (if you don't have one already). Use that as your contact list while you evaluate. If you decide that you want to keep the Pre, you can either continue with Google for your contacts and such, or go with an Exchange Hosted service, so you can continue to use Outlook.

I would also recommend you export your exsiting contacts into a CSV, then import them into Google Contacts. The Palm Profile is difficult (at best) to get an export of the contacts, Google is not. Being able to export gives you a good local backup of the contact information.

I'd recommend you update. You're going to have to eventually, so no time like the present.

Good luck. Hope you like the phone.[/QUOTE]
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Don't waste your money on Classic. Go to the Sprint store and see it on a demo. It is very slow and very expensive. It's functionality is limited. Since you can't use a stylus, a fat finger is a poor substitute for many commands. And while it is getting better with reliability, it's still pretty buggy. If you can run the programs you want on a demo model at the Sprint store and you like it, go for it. I don't suggest buying it blindly and expecting much out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    Don't waste your money on Classic. Go to the Sprint store and see it on a demo. It is very slow and very expensive. It's functionality is limited. Since you can't use a stylus, a fat finger is a poor substitute for many commands. And while it is getting better with reliability, it's still pretty buggy. If you can run the programs you want on a demo model at the Sprint store and you like it, go for it. I don't suggest buying it blindly and expecting much out of it.
    Slow? Are you on crack? It's faster than my 700P treo ever was. It's functionality is limited with video and media but the rest is fine. I agree that without a stylus it's more difficult to use.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    How long does it take your Classic to load?????