1.    #1  
    When I went to install a new app today, Pre complained that it couldn't download and installed the new app because there was not enough memory. I have to delete some previously installed apps to be able to install the new app. This was very surprising given that I have 7.1G mem on the device. Palm help indicates that app mem is not the same as device mem. It appears to be very small. I have less than 30 apps installed. Does anyone know how much mem is allocated for applications? How does this compare to iphone, BBerry, Droid, etc. Also is this configurable? If this is indeed the case then this is a big limitation. What's the point of having 100k apps when you can only have 30 or so apps installed at any given time.

Any input on this topic is greatly appreciated.
  2. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    When I went to install a new app today, Pre complained that it couldn't download and installed the new app because there was not enough memory. I have to delete some previously installed apps to be able to install the new app. This was very surprising given that I have 7.1G mem on the device. Palm help indicates that app mem is not the same as device mem. It appears to be very small. I have less than 30 apps installed. Does anyone know how much mem is allocated for applications? How does this compare to iphone, BBerry, Droid, etc. Also is this configurable? If this is indeed the case then this is a big limitation. What's the point of having 100k apps when you can only have 30 or so apps installed at any given time.

Any input on this topic is greatly appreciated.
    I suggest searching for Preware and MVapp. Installing those two can help substantially.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. Let's see what others have to say. I am sure many folks must have experienced this.
  4. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    Thanks. Let's see what others have to say. I am sure many folks must have experienced this.
    Yes - many have experienced this, especially those of us who have installed Homebrew Apps on top of those available in the App Catalog. There are VERY long threads on Preware, Fair Dinkum, and MVapp which outline the details on how Preware and MVapp address the issue. Check 'em out - they'll definitely explain the issues in great detail - much greater than I could possibly do justice in a single reply post. I'm sure you'll get the confirmation and help (by installing them) that you're seeking.

Long story-short, the Pre severely limits the amount of space in which we can install apps. Some apps take up a lot more memory than others. Preware will automatically correct one issue which will free up some space for more apps. MVapp will move apps into some of that 7.1 gigs of space you have free on the USB partition so that you'll gain a lot more room for more apps!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    Yes - many have experienced this, especially those of us who have installed Homebrew Apps on top of those available in the App Catalog. There are VERY long threads on Preware, Fair Dinkum, and MVapp which outline the details on how Preware and MVapp address the issue. Check 'em out - they'll definitely explain the issues in great detail - much greater than I could possibly do justice in a single reply post. I'm sure you'll get the confirmation and help (by installing them) that you're seeking.

Long story-short, the Pre severely limits the amount of space in which we can install apps. Some apps take up a lot more memory than others. Preware will automatically correct one issue which will free up some space for more apps. MVapp will move apps into some of that 7.1 gigs of space you have free on the USB partition so that you'll gain a lot more room for more apps!
    Thanks much for your informative post. I will try out the suggestions.