Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    First of all, anybody notice, no sound?

I just ran through NFSU on the iPhone, same level, and the scenery is consistent with what's shown in the video. The startup delay (with progress bar) takes about 2 seconds on a 3GS compared to the very long delay we see on the Pre in the video. And the rendering definitely moves faster in realtime (much higher FPS) on the 3GS. I also went and ran the game on a first gen iPhone, and it's faster there too. So if this is real on the Pre, it's definitely a work in progress of some sort. The performance is not where it should be given the Pre's hardware.

I do have to say, the driving in the video is pretty horrible... this is a no brainer game, and not hard at all. So if the video is real, that dude needs to practice a LOT .

Re: the earlier comment about Flash, this is definitely not Flash. NFSU is OpenGL, and I don't think it would make sense to even try and re-do it in Flash (wouldn't really be possible). This would have to be C/C++/OpenGL if it really is running on the Pre, which means some sort of native SDK.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    I do have to say, the driving in the video is pretty horrible... this is a no brainer game, and not hard at all. So if the video is real, that dude needs to practice a LOT .
    The guy is trying to take video while playing. I'm going to cut him some slack.
    I admit I called in the Anteater early on but after the video and the screen shots I'm going to give casperstar the benefit of the doubt here and say this is for real. Seems likely given the direction we all know that webOS has to be going to have a hope of sticking around for more than a few years. Slow load times and gyro delays could all point to early development issues. Palm must have a few uber nerds pounding away on this stuff.

I don't want to scare casperstar off should he not post this kind of stuff again.
    List of things wrong:
    -Background brightness is off in App catalog.
    -Item List Divider missing below NFS entry.
    -Change of color right where the list divider SHOULD be. (Zoom in to see)

That's all I could see at the moment.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Definitely fake.

The guy doesn't touch the screen the whole time. How does he accel or slow down the vehicle? Also at the end of the video the car turns to the right, but the device has only been physically moved down and to the right, not turned.

You'd think people would be able to spot fakes like this by now. Come on, guys.
    i was watching the vid on my phone so i can be missing something... and i dont know how the game is played on other vids... but looking at the video you see the rpms moving on the tach before the race starts but no hitting of any spot on the screen to make it rev or didnt notice any tilt in the phone to indicate hitting the accelerator or tilt to slow the car down. that's what's bothering me on the video.

the turns he could be timing and people could still believe it if not spot on saying it's lag in the game play.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i was watching the vid on my phone so i can be missing something... and i dont know how the game is played on other vids... but looking at the video you see the rpms moving on the tach before the race starts but no hitting of any spot on the screen to make it rev or didnt notice any tilt in the phone to indicate hitting the accelerator or tilt to slow the car down. that's what's bothering me on the video.
    \.
    don't worry the iphone app does the same thing, someone else here confirmed that, and there is a link to the youtube video of that somewhere as well.
    There are four lights.
    interesting vid of blackberry playing need for speed on storm2 to see difference in development if the pre vid is real

and one video of iphone version... interesting. guess the pre vid can be for real. not bad if true

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    If you have played this game on the iPhone/iPod touch, you would know that in NFS, the car accelerates by default unless you tap on the screen to engage the brake
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    Just went through modulars post, he has been dead on accurate with info starting before the release of the pre. mostly he says X isn't coming, or you can set Y via blah blah blah. all except one (you can change the phone icon) seem dead on correct.

not to mention, the most recent pic is dead-on the time difference one would expect from the first pic

I'm leaning toward believing.
    I have to do my own due dilligence but this is the important info. If modular has no history then I would be very skeptical. If he has a proven track record I would be very excited. In the bigger picture, this would seem logical as something could be focusing on now with the Pixi released, Pre in Europe/Canada.
    App catalog screenshots don't match up. Gradient on bottom edge of screen is present in the first one, as evidenced by the darkened Links bar. Gradient at bottom edge of screen is absent on 2nd screenshot, since the app below NFS is visible.
    With the BB video posted, it seems very likely that NFS on the Pre is real. It looks like EA Mobile is trying out that game specifically on the (new) mobile devices...

And BTW, that is an internal version of the app catalog... I bet it has all (even the unpublished) apps on it. That fade at the bottom of the screens is not something there by default-- the devs have to enable it. Maybe they didn't enable it for the list scene.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I want to believe.
    From looking at the NFS demo on the Storm. The Pre version looks very much like a beta that hasn't been optimized. Given the issues the Pre needs fixed this def could be a an early beta. I'll take that BIG GRAIN OF SALT and use it for the margarita when this drops.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    can u give us one more screen shot of the app catalog and whats below the nfs app
    Quote Originally Posted by rothoof View Post
    can u give us one more screen shot of the app catalog and whats below the nfs app
    The picture was probably placed like that on purpose... I haven't seen an app with that icon before o.O
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    That's the chess app. And you know what, it's placed where you would expect it if the bottom gradient is removed. Also, the top of the "EA" below the NFS app is barely visible above the bar. That is incredible attention to detail...
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tejoe View Post
    I think the key word is that's it's for internal testing.
    while skepticism is warrented
    one of my main concerns is that nfs was free on that server(also the baby app was 3.99 on a internal test server)and that it was in the app catalouge at all
    I would think that proto-ware like that would be side-loaded
    but all the same it looks realish

It could be receiving feeds from the actually app catalog as well as an internal catalog, similar to preware being able to receive feeds from precentral and other sources, same as preload.

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    List of things wrong:
    -Background brightness is off in App catalog.
    -Item List Divider missing below NFS entry.
    -Change of color right where the list divider SHOULD be. (Zoom in to see)

That's all I could see at the moment.
    Is it possible that that they have a updated catalog, similar to the 1.2. update? Just curious.

As for the actually video, it think it is legit. If it isn't, then I'm not going to lose sleep for believing that the video was real. No stress or life threaten thing. Besides, s219 makes some great points. It think it real. Looking forward to the new update.
    Here's the NFS Undercover running on the HTC Touch HD (rather crapily i might add)

With that said, it seems EA is intent on getting this game on all capable platforms, Pre included I imagine (especially since it's closest to iP in specs)
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast