Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    so then, in effect dudestatus you can start terminal from within webOS, keep luna running seperate, and play a game with GPU support?

would it then be possible to have an automated link/script that would let someone launch the terminal app without all the typing and apt getting sudo-makemea samwich wizardry.

if so, what would theoretically prevent a palm from getting need for speed working with the help of EA games?
    or, even if not, what would stop the demo we saw (having not been seen launching) from being possible at this stage?
    So why would EA mickey mouse a solution like this, instead of waiting for official support? DirectFB to run a cell phone game from a major company? That's more of a stretch than this game even being on the Pre. It amazes me how far people will reach to support their position when there is plain evidence this isn't real. Go ahead and call me biased hparsons, you're not even making any sense at this point.
    Last edited by Elysian893; 12/01/2009 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Go ahead and call me biased hparsons, you're not even making any sense at this point.
    (psssstttt, it wasn't me you were responding to, it was someone else that "wasn't even making any sense at this point."

I think maybe you're getting just a bit wrapped up in this one. I blame Palm for messing up your Pres. Looks like it sent you over the edge...
    )
    I could be wrong, but I don't think directfb is using the gpu. I think it's still using the cpu since fceux still runs pretty slowly full screen. I'm pretty sure we still need a native linux driver to access the gpu.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayvan View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think directfb is using the gpu. I think it's still using the cpu since fceux still runs pretty slowly full screen. I'm pretty sure we still need a native linux driver to access the gpu.
    Indeed. And if you can't run a NES EMU smoothly in DirectFB, what makes one think it'd run a fully 3d game smoothly?
    Quote Originally Posted by jayvan View Post
    Haven't actually tried it myself, so it's fully possibly you could be correct, I was just going by what I'd read.
    This seems to indicate that directfb on the pre is using software only and no hardware-acceleration: elinux.org/User_Interfaces#DirectFB

"While this is an excellent project, the number of hardware-accelerated devices supported are small and does not include any CPUs you'd find on a phone."

Either way I'm excited because it seems the door may be opening to running more native apps. If we can launch an emu through the terminal app running alongside luna, then I don't see why NFS wouldn't be possible. Palm may already have an early GPU driver for testing that would allow a native NFS game to run with Luna and take advantage of hardware-acceleration.

Also, the terminal app allows us to manually enter back-end commands. So wouldn't it be possible to create an app that allows back-end access just like terminal, but simply runs a script to automatically start the native app instead of allowing for user input?
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    I reiterate my earlier thoughts that NFS is a C/C++ OpenGL ES game, and the GPU has an OpenGL ES interface. So if this is real, it has to be a native app with proper compiler support and OpenGL ES libraries to link against. The driver needs to be in place to give the libraries access to the GPU hardware. That's a fairly strict pathway to make it all happen. I don't see EA totally re-writing the game to use some other approach; it would not make sense. So either this is the whole enchilada, or it's a hoax. There is not a technically feasible/reasonable alternative solution that I can see EA pursuing.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    I reiterate my earlier thoughts that NFS is a C/C++ OpenGL ES game, and the GPU has an OpenGL ES interface. So if this is real, it has to be a native app with proper compiler support and OpenGL ES libraries to link against. The driver needs to be in place to give the libraries access to the GPU hardware. That's a fairly strict pathway to make it all happen. I don't see EA totally re-writing the game to use some other approach; it would not make sense. So either this is the whole enchilada, or it's a hoax. There is not a technically feasible/reasonable alternative solution that I can see EA pursuing.
    That appears to be some pretty sound reasoning.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Oh **** son. Has anyone noticed the new app catalog in WebOS 1.3.5?

Here is a screenshot provided by casperstar of Need for Speed.

Here is a screenshot I just took from 1.3.5

Looks exactly the same to me. Anyone still want to doubt casperstar?
    Last edited by krische; 12/28/2009 at 08:56 PM.
    Holy crap, nice find!
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I believe!!
    looks like our little friend casperstar was legit...
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I'm guessing Palm has some surprises in store for us at CES
    Yeah this definetly makes me more excited about CES.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    This might be a shot out in left field. But it was announced by Epic that they would be releasing Unreal Engine 3 on "another mobile device."

Palm has been hiring some big time graphics driver developers formerly from ATI/AMD. I would guess they are taking this GPU thing seriously.
    haha awesome!
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I really think GPU will be the highlight of CES now. Palm has to keep up with the Johnson's (Apple). What are they missing compared to the iPhone? Apps and speed. Ares was one step towards more apps and I believe GPU access will help both.
  18. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    going for a holy shiznit awesome for the non hoax exidence
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I guess webosinternals is also saying that they found some OpenGL stuff in the new 1.3.5 update.
    Fake! Obvious photoshop. The shadows are all wrong.

j/k Awesome find! This makes me way more excited.