Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 346
  1. #241  
    The gameboy emulator gnuboy is much better though. I was messing around getting mario to work on the nes emu, but the gameboy color version of it, super mario deluxe, plays much better on gnuboy. smooth full frames, and there's even sound.
  2. #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by dudestatus View Post
    The gameboy emulator gnuboy is much better though. I was messing around getting mario to work on the nes emu, but the gameboy color version of it, super mario deluxe, plays much better on gnuboy. smooth full frames, and there's even sound.
    Does killing Luna to run DirectFB apps also kill the phone? I'd hate to miss calls and such and have to explain to my boss that I was fighting a gym leader in Pokemon haha.
  3. #243  
    You cannot recieve calls with luna diabled. Fortunately, the emulator can also be played with luna enabled so you can receive your calls. To play with luna enabled you basically follow the same steps except don't disable luna. You can also launch from the preware terminal app, see the gnuboy page at the webos internals wiki for details. I just tested this while playing pokemon and sent a call to my phone. It rang even though I didn't see a popup, but once I exited the game I saw the popup with the answer button since it returned to normal webos gui, and I was able to take the call with no problems.
  4. #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by dudestatus View Post
    You cannot recieve calls with luna diabled. Fortunately, the emulator can also be played with luna enabled so you can receive your calls. To play with luna enabled you basically follow the same steps except don't disable luna. You can also launch from the preware terminal app, see the gnuboy page at the webos internals wiki for details. I just tested this while playing pokemon and sent a call to my phone. It rang even though I didn't see a popup, but once I exited the game I saw the popup with the answer button since it returned to normal webos gui, and I was able to take the call with no problems.
    going of track here, but is the emu using the GPU when luna is enabled? you had posted earlier that without luna enabled you were using gpu (first i had heard of anyone accessing GPU) and am wondering if it is currently possible to use gpu in the emulator while luna runs.

    perhaps this is better suited for discussion on the webOS internals arena.
    There are four lights.
  5. #245  
    I am using the gpu with luna enabled, but not through the mojo sdk luna functions. Think of it as multitasking within the backend linux. Luna is a program in the backend linux, and so is this emulator. The emulator was launched by accessing the backend linux, and was not launched through luna, thus the gpu functionality could be used since i installed packages on my backend linux to use the gpu. This was running alongside luna, but was not part of its bubble that is software rendered webos since it was launched by backend linux.

    You can use a terminal program in webos to access this backend linux in order to launch these kinds of apps from within webos, but they will not go through it and have the nice push center button and flick up to quit capability. Instead to exit the gameboy emu I just have to press the orange button and it segfaults out so I can go back to webos.
  6. #246  
    How was GPU functionality/access attained? WebOS Internals is probably the better arena for this.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  7. #247  
    Quote Originally Posted by dudestatus View Post
    I am using the gpu with luna enabled, but not through the mojo sdk luna functions. Think of it as multitasking within the backend linux. Luna is a program in the backend linux, and so is this emulator. The emulator was launched by accessing the backend linux, and was not launched through luna, thus the gpu functionality could be used since i installed packages on my backend linux to use the gpu. This was running alongside luna, but was not part of its bubble that is software rendered webos since it was launched by backend linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    How was GPU functionality/access attained? WebOS Internals is probably the better arena for this.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there no driver for the GPU?
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  8. #248  
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there no driver for the GPU?
    From directfb.org | Main :

    DirectFB

    DirectFB is a thin library that provides hardware graphics acceleration, input device handling and abstraction, integrated windowing system with support for translucent windows and multiple display layers, not only on top of the Linux Framebuffer Device. It is a complete hardware abstraction layer with software fallbacks for every graphics operation that is not supported by the underlying hardware. DirectFB adds graphical power to embedded systems and sets a new standard for graphics under Linux.
  9. #249  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    JHoff80,

    Frankly, I don't know some of the newer posts on here, so I have no particular reason to trust them (by the same token, I have no particular reason to doubt them either).

    You though, I trust. You have a track record here, and what I read from you is typically spot on.

    That said, speak to me in plain English (I'm getting on in years, and my geek is getting rustier...)

    Are you saying that this might indeed be possible, and that there's a good chance that this hasn't been a fake?
  10. #250  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    JHoff80,

    Frankly, I don't know some of the newer posts on here, so I have no particular reason to trust them (by the same token, I have no particular reason to doubt them either).

    You though, I trust. You have a track record here, and what I read from you is typically spot on.

    That said, speak to me in plain English (I'm getting on in years, and my geek is getting rustier...)

    Are you saying that this might indeed be possible, and that there's a good chance that this hasn't been a fake?
    No. DirectFB has to run alone, without Luna. In other words, you have to kill Luna to use DirectFB. The person running NFS would have to basically make his own version of the game, made to run in a Linux framebuffer, which a native app is not meant to do.
  11. #251  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    No. DirectFB has to run alone, without Luna. In other words, you have to kill Luna to use DirectFB. The person running NFS would have to basically make his own version of the game, made to run in a Linux framebuffer, which a native app is not meant to do.
    None of which makes the video shown fake.

    I do still hope to hear from JHoff80. I suspect your "evidence" is just a bit biased...
  12. #252  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    None of which makes the video shown fake.

    I do still hope to hear from JHoff80. I suspect your "evidence" is just a bit biased...
    Hilarious. I suspect your disbelief is more biased than anything I said. I'm not wrong, it's not my fault you don't understand what I said.
  13. #253  
    Elysian has it right, DirectFB can't be running at the same time Luna is. The emulators are definitely real though.

    As for the Need for Speed video, I have no idea about that being real or not, I'm about 65/35 on it, leaning towards being fake, but it's honestly not really a big deal to me at this point. Games aren't the reason I bought the phone, and Solitaire, Word/Card Ace, and Topple Ball, among others, are enough for me for now.

    Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy when 3D acceleration is officially put into the OS, but I've always expected it to be out more along the lines of a year from release, so it really doesn't bother me yet.
  14. #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Hilarious. I suspect your disbelief is more biased than anything I said. I'm not wrong, it's not my fault you don't understand what I said.
    Disbelief? My "disbelief" is based completely on what you said, and continue to say. I understand completely what you said (believe it or not, I understand a thing or two about IT, after being in the field professionally for about 25 years). However, the video, unless you saw something I didn't, never showed them running anything under Luna.

    Frankly, your enthusiasm to "prove" the guy wrong is a bit overreaching, and your proclamations that xy and z are "proof", are just incorrect. You're still expressing opinion, not proof.
  15. #255  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Elysian has it right, DirectFB can't be running at the same time Luna is. The emulators are definitely real though.
    Not sure about the need for speed game, but in my experience, DirectFB while running luna is possible if you use a terminal app to access the backend. I posted a video demonstrating this, where I run the gnuboy gameboy emu with directfb while luna is in background. I even receive a call in the vid while playing pokemon in the gameboy emu and exit the game to answer. The call came from luna.

    shown in youtube vid
    watch?v=XtFEf6a0ZWQ

    maybe if there was a way to launch linux apps from a webos application shortcut while disabling the luna screen timer, then gpu apps could be made with c and directfb instead of the mojo sdk.
    Last edited by dudestatus; 12/01/2009 at 03:09 AM.
  16. #256  
    what i would like to see them do is take advantage of full support of the accelerometer and put an app that measures g-force. that would be a sweet app
  17. #257  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    what i would like to see them do is take advantage of full support of the accelerometer and put an app that measures g-force. that would be a sweet app
    Theres an App for that!

    @DudeStatus: As others have said, you should check out WebOS Internals, and possibly a calaboration between the the folks there and yourself could bring something like you said a reality

    Module has states "this is the real deal" and where most have been wrong, hes usually right. Whatvers down the pipeline at palm, id bet GPU Acceleration and game testing is too.
  18. #258  
    Quote Originally Posted by dudestatus View Post
    Not sure about the need for speed game, but in my experience, DirectFB while running luna is possible if you use a terminal app to access the backend. I posted a video demonstrating this, where I run the gnuboy gameboy emu with directfb while luna is in background. I even receive a call in the vid while playing pokemon in the gameboy emu and exit the game to answer. The call came from luna.

    shown in youtube vid
    watch?v=XtFEf6a0ZWQ

    maybe if there was a way to launch linux apps from a webos application shortcut while disabling the luna screen timer, then gpu apps could be made with c and directfb instead of the mojo sdk.
    Interesting. I hadn't tried it myself, so was just going by the old info on webOS Internals. Glad to hear I was wrong on that, honestly.
  19. #259  
    so then, in effect dudestatus you can start terminal from within webOS, keep luna running seperate, and play a game with GPU support?

    would it then be possible to have an automated link/script that would let someone launch the terminal app without all the typing and apt getting sudo-makemea samwich wizardry.

    if so, what would theoretically prevent a palm from getting need for speed working with the help of EA games?
    or, even if not, what would stop the demo we saw (having not been seen launching) from being possible at this stage?
  20. #260  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    ...
    what would stop the demo we saw (having not been seen launching) from being possible at this stage?
    My thoughts exactly...

Posting Permissions