Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 346
  1. #221  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    All joking I've done in this thread aside, I cosign what cnote said: THINK PEOPLE.

    There are so many reasons this is bogus that it's almost silly to go into. Have one for free: Palm doesn't have a secure app catalog at all--all program source code can be easily seen if you know how to access it, and all programs can be copied relatively simply. Palm knows it and many devs are aware of it too. It is a huge issue for companies who not only want to make serious applications, but also want to make serious money.


    And whoever suggested we start betting on this, I am down. If I'm wrong, every third post I make will from here on out feature a hot girl in it.
    I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I sure hope you're wrong.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  2. #222  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I sure hope you're wrong.
    duh. thats what the OP wanted. false hope. and everyone is biting. may i say i told you so when it doesnt happen?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  3. #223  
    This is fake. I wish it wasn't but it is.
  4. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #224  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Each system has its pros and cons, why not just allow both and give a giant middle finger to apple?
    You're going to have to explain that one to me. Last time I logged into the Apple dev center, they were pushing both technologies pretty hard. As of iPhone OS 3.0, their web app SDK is quite good (and don't forget who drives WebKit development). It's just that all the serious devs went with the native SDK and didn't look back. Trust me, if Palm releases a native SDK, the only thing left on the web-based SDK will be the current batch of hobbyist apps.
  5. ldpantoja's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #225  
    For a thread that everybody is calling bull**** on it surely got a lot of attention.

    I guess thats what the author wanted.
  6. #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    You're going to have to explain that one to me. Last time I logged into the Apple dev center, they were pushing both technologies pretty hard. As of iPhone OS 3.0, their web app SDK is quite good (and don't forget who drives WebKit development). It's just that all the serious devs went with the native SDK and didn't look back. Trust me, if Palm releases a native SDK, the only thing left on the web-based SDK will be the current batch of hobbyist apps.
    I will confess I don't know a huge amount about the apple iPhone SDK's. I was aware that initially there was a big push for native web apps, but that was abandoned for native C/Java development.

    I don't think that if a native SDK comes out, that you will only see C/Java apps. I would still bet that you see quite a bit of HTML/CSS/Javascript based apps. Why? because they are easy to make, many people are familiar with them and because sometimes you don't need to do more to get the job done right. For example, infopedia's wikipedia app works perfectly well based in HTML. Same thing with Wooter the web based programming is ideal for it. In fact almost all of the apps that don't rely on heavy amounts of graphics and need to interact extensively with the internet don't require much more.

    It also keeps development costs down and allows hobbyist to get in on the App Catalog action with the potential to make some money.

    Larger companies can use the native SDK and produce graphic heavy apps, or what-have-you. But the fact that both options are available is what is important.
  7. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
  8. DocHemi's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    AH STIHL....is that your idea of a hot chick..I HOPE NOT for your sake.
  9. zonyl's Avatar
    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #229  
    If this is real:

    The game is not written in Javascript / Mojo and instead is a native application. There are no apparent GC pauses during playback and as much as people like to believe, Javascript is no where near as fast as a good 'ol ELF binary. This makes the most sense as they probably used/ported most of the same code to build this version for Palm. They probably dont want to show how the game started up because the person has killed luna and is launching it from the shell. ala They dont have selections on the screen because they are stumbling with the touch input device like everyone else.

    Palm just may be relenting and opening up native apps to more developers as there are just too many obstacles in using a Web page for arcade gaming in the near future. They are probably working with Palm to make this a showcase app 3D support next year.

    ---

    Someone mentioned it would have been more likely that the first thing Palm did if they had OpenGL would be to draw some boxes, etc. Well, if I were palm announcing that our platform had OpenGL showing a bunch of boxes/sphere on launch day (yawn for the press), would not be as cool as showing off this available in the app store same day.

    To add fuel to the fire, what if the game was written in Flash?
    Last edited by zonyl; 11/24/2009 at 03:52 AM.
  10. gabe2gg's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #230  
    can anyone explain the long loading time?
  11. #231  
    I'm not saying this is real, but if it's written in C++ then screw it.
  12. migs's Avatar
    Posts
    875 Posts
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    #232  
    The lack of the "fade" at the bottom of the app catalog list, might be the dead give away that it is a fake. Both my Pre and my kids pixi have this slight fade effect at the bottom of the list, so unless in a future update we lose this fade then this must be the evidence we need.
  13. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #233  
    I think hparsons should vow to post hot women with every 3rd post he makes if this is fake. Which it is.
  14. #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    I think hparsons should vow to post hot women with every 3rd post he makes if this is fake. Which it is.
    Why would I vow to do something over an incident for which I have no control or direct knowledge? I've stated several times, I don't know. However, you seem to have "proof". What are you ready to "vow"?
  15. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #235  
    Few pages ago I said I'll do the same if it turns out to be real.
  16. kmax12's Avatar
    Posts
    315 Posts
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    #236  
    interesting article on how one would go about faking this need for speed video. also, there are some really good (fake) pictures. Need for Hoaxes: Most Wanted | The Mx Web
  17. #237  
    I am the author of the nintendo emulator 2.0 video -- youtube /watch?v=agBx8PHzW. native apps are possible with hardware acceleration from within the pre. the nintendo emulator runs full frames if i'm not stretching it like in the video i posted, and luna is running in the background when i'm running it, hence the return to normal webos behavior after i exit.

    two things needed for native gpu support apps.

    1. installed packages, or just a new os image. To make this work I mounted an image of debian and chrooted to it, then installed the directfb packages with apt-get to use the gpu.

    2. disable sleep mode. the luna gui makes the backend linux os go to sleep if it does not receive input for a duration of time, which crashes your app. in my experience when running native apps not through luna, the keyboard input does not go through the webos gui, so the luna gui makes the backend os go to sleep thinking the user is idle, even though keys are pressed. However, the gui does detect tapping on the screen as input which prevents sleep. Disabling this automatic sleep is possible. when playing mario bros, I have gotten around tapping the screen periodically to prevent sleep by using a functionality in another app i have called "mytether", which disables the auto sleep funciton of the gui.

    3. ways of launching the native apps. I have scripts that auto launch all my native apps from within the terminal app shown in the video. I'm sure there are other ways to run the necessary scripts though, maybe even from a launcher shortcut.


    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    If this is real:

    The game is not written in Javascript / Mojo and instead is a native application. There are no apparent GC pauses during playback and as much as people like to believe, Javascript is no where near as fast as a good 'ol ELF binary. This makes the most sense as they probably used/ported most of the same code to build this version for Palm. They probably dont want to show how the game started up because the person has killed luna and is launching it from the shell. /watch?v=agBx8PHzW- They dont have selections on the screen because they are stumbling with the touch input device like everyone else.

    Palm just may be relenting and opening up native apps to more developers as there are just too many obstacles in using a Web page for arcade gaming in the near future. They are probably working with Palm to make this a showcase app 3D support next year.

    ---

    Someone mentioned it would have been more likely that the first thing Palm did if they had OpenGL would be to draw some boxes, etc. Well, if I were palm announcing that our platform had OpenGL showing a bunch of boxes/sphere on launch day (yawn for the press), would not be as cool as showing off this available in the app store same day.

    To add fuel to the fire, what if the game was written in Flash?
  18. #238  
    Dudestatus,

    Thanks for that. Hopefully, you are aware of the WebOS internals group. Sound like you would be useful over there

    Main Page - WebOS Internals
  19. #239  
    Quote Originally Posted by dudestatus View Post
    3. ways of launching the native apps. I have scripts that auto launch all my native apps from within the terminal app shown in the video. I'm sure there are other ways to run the necessary scripts though, maybe even from a launcher shortcut.
    Could you check out this page, and possibly share your scripts for launching the apps? That would be great!

    Nintendo - WebOS Internals

    Thanks!
  20. #240  
    I checked it out and added a few things. All I do to run nintendo games from webos is use the preware terminal app. Then from there I mount debian from a script, and then launch the nintendo emulator with a script. the nintendo script has a few lines. The first sets up directfb as shown in the wiki, and the second launches the game with the $1 parameter for the rom, so I can do ./nintendo.sh <rom.nes>, and it will load up <rom.nes> into $1, which can be used in the script.

Posting Permissions