Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    Does anyone have an idea how much extra battery power the GPU will require once it's enabled?
    The dude was playing a VIDEO of the game on the pre, duh. End of story
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Im tending towards believing this, partly because i want it to be true, and partly because it seems very plausible, however, a few discrepancies another member posted on the main precentral article regarding this:

"As a practitioner of "video forensics", I grabbed the vid and some reference vids of the iPhone version and ran them through light-enhanced, zoomed to 300% and 1/16 speed. Here's what I came up with...it's really fake. A vid of the Pre running a local vid. Read on for my analysis.

1. Loading screen is *over exposed* (as if being recorded from a video screen\monitor. (reflections on Pre's surface are not over exposed so it is not the video OF the Pre but ON the Pre.)

2. Race intro scrolls across the front of all cars instead of coming up from behind all cars.

3. Pre-race Cut scene\instructions are missing, no confirmation to start race.

4. When the vid starts, the Pre is level with the floor (as measured by perspective against markings on rug) but turns hard to the right as soon as starting before the Pre is ever tilted.

5. He actually "turns left" for the first time @ 0:46

5. Race progress "meter" is missing from left of screen.

6. @ 0:52 the car does a "drift" maneuver but the technique to do it requires a "quick tilt" in the opposite direction before turning. The car drifted and he never made the move.

7. @ 0:56 he tilts the Pre at the same level as in @ 0:49 but instead of turning hard like in the prior move, the car barely turns at all.

So unfortunately while WISHING this was true, the evidence doesn't see to hold out. :\

Submitted by cobrakon on Mon, 11/23/2009 - 02:40."

I would like to believe that video isn't fake... but I have to agree with you. Good post.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I would like to believe that video isn't fake... but I have to agree with you. Good post.
    His points don't prove game isn't in testing phase. It only proves it's not a video of the iphone game since it's missing things from the iphone game.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    His points don't prove game isn't in testing phase. It only proves it's not a video of the iphone game since it's missing things from the iphone game.
    Yeah I'm with you on it. I would understand if it looked just like the iPhone or a demo video, but with things missing it heavily implies that it is a work-in-progress. Any weird quirks could just be testing-bugs rather than it being fake.

But I'm not convinced one way or the other.
    Everyones getting in on the act. This from the official board:

need for speed runing [sic] on the pre is this real palm????

Love the moderator's answer.

**goes off to make more popcorn**
    I personally would like to believe it, and while I think it's possible, it's much more likely that it's a fake.

The reason I think this is that if I were trying to demo GPU support, I would be starting with something much, much simpler. I wouldn't go right to a game like this. I think we would have seen tests of 3d floating shapes--you know, some basic 3d GPU sorts of tests. Yeah, those aren't all that sexy, but if something like this could leak, certainly we would have seen earlier leaks.

But you never know. I'm content to wait and see.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I think skepticism has rule on this one
    I still don't see how(if its for internal testing how ccould you limit ur dev & testers by not giving them unlimited access to the apps as in why make them pay 3.99 for an app)& or why palm would push a test server ontop of the app catalouge
    but to murky up the waters a bit I do believe that the test pre's have access to limited gpu support and had it for sum time
    palm signed onto the open screen project before web gl was in the nightly builds of webkit & the webkit palm uses is old anyway
    Flash was demo'd on the pre months ago and was pretty opitimized for there not to be hardware(gpu) acceleration
    so possible yes plausible yes
    still have my doubts though
    Last edited by tejoe; 11/23/2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: hashing out my point
    I'm sitting firmly on the fence on this one. If I say 'IT'S A FAKE!!!!11' and it turns out to be real... or if I say 'I think it's legit!' and it turns out to be fake... well, it's a no-win situation, since this is probably 50/50. There's good evidence that it's fake, good evidence that it's real, so I call it a wash. I know that I sure HOPE it's real, though!

/Kevin
    When the HTC Mogul came out, there was almost immediate debate on whether it was capable of GPS. A very respected member over at PPC Geeks even tore his Mogul down and posted pictures proving that the Mogul did not have the necessary hardware for GPS.

That didn't stop a pre-release firmware from leaking which supported stand-alone GPS for third-party applications. The official firmware dropped about three months after that.

My point is there will always be nay-sayers. Until such time as something actually makes it out to end users, people will pore over the evidence and come to their own conclusions. It really doesn't mean jack in the end.

Just about ever aspect of these purported "leaks" can be scrutinized. And each item can either be chalked up to testing or dismissed as "fake".

Personally I don't think anyone who has never been directly involved in internal software development is qualified to call these things fake. Internal testing is about functionality... getting everything working. That means you don't care about load times yet, you don't care about intros or menus. You care about getting the core functionality up and running.

I'm not saying these leaks are real. I don't think anyone here is qualified to call this one way or the other. (Anyone who really knows the truth isn't going to post on a public forum) But at this point I think calling these outright fakes is not any wiser than calling them 100% real.

Oh, and the version number doesn't mean squat. If 1.2.9 was the testing version for 1.3, I don't see why anyone would have a hard time believing that 1.3.9 would be the testing version for 1.4. I certainly don't think that GPU support, while it will revolutionize our device, would warrant a full 2.0 release.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I'm Pulling out The BS Card on this one.
    Last edited by DocHemi; 11/23/2009 at 12:50 PM.
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    I'm sitting firmly on the fence on this one. If I say 'IT'S A FAKE!!!!11' and it turns out to be real... or if I say 'I think it's legit!' and it turns out to be fake... well, it's a no-win situation, since this is probably 50/50. There's good evidence that it's fake, good evidence that it's real, so I call it a wash. I know that I sure HOPE it's real, though!

/Kevin
    Overwhelming evidence that suggests it ain't real aside, I'd say don't believe it and keep your expectations low.

Does anyone here really think Palm pulled an Apple and went native with the SDK 6 months after releasing the phone after claiming web apps is where it's at?
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    Does anyone have an idea how much extra battery power the GPU will require once it's enabled?
    The GPU will actually save battery life once it is activated (at least for the day to day). GPUs are much more power efficient that CPUs when it comes the number crunching associated with graphics. So when the GPU is active it will remove a lot of the excess power use that the CPU is doing to keep up.

While playing a game, I have no idea what the battery life will be.

Just incase you all haven't seen this: Mythbusters explain the difference between a CPU and a GPU -
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Does anyone here really think Palm pulled an Apple and went native with the SDK 6 months after releasing the phone after claiming web apps is where it's at?
    I think most can agree web standards wont be able to pull off graphical intensive games.

So, with regards to this, i think its very possible that palm will allow native development ONLY for games and a few exceptional apps which are not possible through web standards (Docs2go, classic etc) and the rest web apps.

This would solve most issues i would think, but then the pressure may be on palm to open up native for all apps.

Im going towards believing but wont keep my hopes up, i mean why wouldnt this be plausible? The pre is clearly capable video scrutiny aside. And im pretty sure palm are testing OpenGL for the pre (testing needs to be done wayyy before its consumer ready).
    What if palm did both, web app development and native? I mean, the web based programming they are developing is really good and fast. It would be great for doing custom apps and small quick and dirty tools. At the same time allowing native apps would allow for very robust programs like 3d games.

Each system has its pros and cons, why not just allow both and give a giant middle finger to apple?
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    What if palm did both, web app development and native? I mean, the web based programming they are developing is really good and fast. It would be great for doing custom apps and small quick and dirty tools. At the same time allowing native apps would allow for very robust programs like 3d games.

Each system has its pros and cons, why not just allow both and give a giant middle finger to apple?
    All for the finger to Apple
    You know as much as i want all this to be true, i think its a big joke and the OP is just getting a kick out of everyone believing him. that being said, I am going to continue to not get my hopes up about this unless it actually happens. Palm has explicitly said that they are not making a gaming device with the pre.....so WHY would they go out and make a native SDK in C (which a few of the pros are mainly games) when they havent even gotten their regular SDK in javascript yet and still have 90% of the APIs locked down? THINK PEOPLE. as much as we WANT this to be true, logically there would be no reason.

on the other hand sure maybe they got the GPU up and running and it is.....if so i will appoligize to the op when its released....until then....spare yourself a letdown. you are just building yourselves up for a big letdown if it does happen

(i can see it now in 3 months "omg palm was supposed to have nfs! they dont even have the gpu set up yet!! im jumping ship!!")

the OP basically told everyone what they WANT to hear....of COURSE everyones gonna go running with it.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    All for the finger to Apple
    Apple needs to be shoved off its high horse and realise that it is no longer king of all things technology.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shubba86 View Post
    Apple needs to be shoved off its high horse and realise that it is no longer king of all things technology.
    It never was!
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    All joking I've done in this thread aside, I cosign what cnote said: THINK PEOPLE.

There are so many reasons this is bogus that it's almost silly to go into. Have one for free: Palm doesn't have a secure app catalog at all--all program source code can be easily seen if you know how to access it, and all programs can be copied relatively simply. Palm knows it and many devs are aware of it too. It is a huge issue for companies who not only want to make serious applications, but also want to make serious money.

And whoever suggested we start betting on this, I am down. If I'm wrong, every third post I make will from here on out feature a hot girl in it.
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast