Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. CUH
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    There's no sound because he recorded with no sounds. DO you hear the dog moving in the background?
    Quote Originally Posted by CUH View Post
    There's no sound because he recorded with no sounds. DO you hear the dog moving in the background?
    +1
    The dogs not real either duh!
    how do we know the pre isn't just playing a youtube video - i.e. how do we know that's actually a game and not a video? I want to believe, just asking
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    how do we know the pre isn't just playing a youtube video - i.e. how do we know that's actually a game and not a video? I want to believe, just asking
    We don't. It seems that when the person moves the pre the car responds, but again this could just be a well timed movement to match up with the video. However, when the video and the app store screen shots, and certain forum members with good track records, are taken together, it seems believable. I know I want it to be true. But as I mentioned before, I am not 100% sold, but they got me listening.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    i a confused.. kinda like thinking about in terminator 1 john Connor sends his friend to protect his mom from the terminator then he ends up inpregnating her with john.. so he sent his dad back in time to become his dad.. but since he is the one that sent his dad back that means he had to be born first to send him back but he cant be born without sending him back.. so confusing!
    that is awesome roflmao
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    Palm recently hired an ex-AMD engineer, so the GPU being enabled in the near future can't be that implausible.
    They hired the guy to do kernel and driver level work.
  8. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Oh, and the only conceivable way they could currently achieve this would be WebGL.

WebGL hasn't found it's way into the webkit build in webOS, and trying to run a game like Need For Speed programmed with Javascript with WebGL hooks would cause the device to slow to a crawl. Combine that with the poorly photoshopped App Catalog shots, and well, the evidence should speak for itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    the burden of proof lies with the video provider and screenshots and video, when you cant even see the video load, do not pass the sniff test even a little bit
    The burden of proof?? What are you talking about? He has nothing to "prove." My suspicion is that he doesn't give a sloppy turd if you believe him or not. He gave information. He was asked to give a video, he did. Some of you are now choosing to call him a liar over it. If anyone needs to provide proof, it's the naysayers.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Oh, and the only conceivable way they could currently achieve this would be WebGL.

WebGL hasn't found it's way into the webkit build in webOS, and trying to run a game like Need For Speed programmed with Javascript with WebGL hooks would cause the device to slow to a crawl. Combine that with the poorly photoshopped App Catalog shots, and well, the evidence should speak for itself.
    I wouldn't say it was poorly done since it took very very close observation to prove otherwise. Still, it is plausible. What about OpenGL? The Pre does support it.

I am still on the fence. I will believe it until definitive proof saying otherwise come out.

I also doubt that Javascript was used, but that doesn't mean it can't exist. I'm just giving the OP the benefit of a doubt and believing that it is true. I have nothing to lose.

The app catalog is still beta testing and Palm has to have some progress of its own as far as GPU development. They just need someone with higher level knowledge. I'm sure they have been working on this for a while.
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shotyme View Post
    I wouldn't say it was poorly done since it took very very close observation to prove otherwise. Still, it is plausible. What about OpenGL? The Pre does support it.

I am still on the fence. I will believe it until definitive proof saying otherwise come out.

I also doubt that Javascript was used, but that doesn't mean it can't exist. I'm just giving the OP the benefit of a doubt and believing that it is true. I have nothing to lose.

The app catalog is still beta testing and Palm has to have some progress of its own as far as GPU development. They just need someone with higher level knowledge. I'm sure they have been working on this for a while.
    The PowerVX GPU technically supports it sure, but webOS isn't anywhere close to supporting OpenGL.

This game actually existing and running the way it's purported to in the video is highly unlikely (read: impossible) in the Mojo 1.3.1 framework. Really. The screenshot of the app suggests needed 1.3.x, but you won't see GPU support added in a minor update.
    The screenshot of the app suggests needed 1.3.x, but you won't see GPU support added in a minor update.
    I don't know if I agree with that. Seems like Palm might be considering x.x.9 versions to almost be RC versions.

As an example, 1.2.9 added an entire new chipset / architecture for the Pixi, and that was a minor version number, that was quickly updated to 1.3.1 on final release.

That being said, I'm still 50/50 on whether this is real or not, but it doesn't matter to me either way right now.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The burden of proof?? What are you talking about? He has nothing to "prove." My suspicion is that he doesn't give a sloppy turd if you believe him or not. He gave information. He was asked to give a video, he did. Some of you are now choosing to call him a liar over it. If anyone needs to provide proof, it's the naysayers.
    hahahahahaha whhooooaaa duuuuuuuuuudde

you mad?

syllogism issues gallore
    Im tending towards believing this, partly because i want it to be true, and partly because it seems very plausible, however, a few discrepancies another member posted on the main precentral article regarding this:

"As a practitioner of "video forensics", I grabbed the vid and some reference vids of the iPhone version and ran them through light-enhanced, zoomed to 300% and 1/16 speed. Here's what I came up with...it's really fake. A vid of the Pre running a local vid. Read on for my analysis.

1. Loading screen is *over exposed* (as if being recorded from a video screen\monitor. (reflections on Pre's surface are not over exposed so it is not the video OF the Pre but ON the Pre.)

2. Race intro scrolls across the front of all cars instead of coming up from behind all cars.

3. Pre-race Cut scene\instructions are missing, no confirmation to start race.

4. When the vid starts, the Pre is level with the floor (as measured by perspective against markings on rug) but turns hard to the right as soon as starting before the Pre is ever tilted.

5. He actually "turns left" for the first time @ 0:46

5. Race progress "meter" is missing from left of screen.

6. @ 0:52 the car does a "drift" maneuver but the technique to do it requires a "quick tilt" in the opposite direction before turning. The car drifted and he never made the move.

7. @ 0:56 he tilts the Pre at the same level as in @ 0:49 but instead of turning hard like in the prior move, the car barely turns at all.

So unfortunately while WISHING this was true, the evidence doesn't see to hold out. :\

Submitted by cobrakon on Mon, 11/23/2009 - 02:40."

Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    From what i've heard, Palm is having enough problems trying to get audio to work right..much less this.

Read this again..The first paid app is Air Hockey for webOS! Questions? Answers. | Acceleroto
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    From what i've heard, Palm is having enough problems trying to get audio to work right..much less this.

Read this again..The first paid app is Air Hockey for webOS! Questions? Answers. | Acceleroto
    I can understand that getting it all working through the normal SDK is an issue but if this is true its definitely not running through the SDK we know today.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts

WebGL is in the current nightly build of WebKit, and it's likely Palm would at least be testing that (likely doesn't always equal logical in the case of Palm however). That said, I do not think EA would port the entire C-based/OpenGL code to javascript. That would be a massive undertaking, even for a simple game of this nature, and I agree that the performance would probably leave a lot to be desired. So if this is real, it's got to be running on top of a native SDK.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    The PowerVX GPU technically supports it sure, but webOS isn't anywhere close to supporting OpenGL.

This game actually existing and running the way it's purported to in the video is highly unlikely (read: impossible) in the Mojo 1.3.1 framework. Really. The screenshot of the app suggests needed 1.3.x, but you won't see GPU support added in a minor update.
    I agree with that too. Unless Palm has totally lost their mind with versioning conventions (which may be true given the way they skip digits with public releases) this ain't no 0.0.x tweak.
    Does anyone have an idea how much extra battery power the GPU will require once it's enabled?
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast