Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone experienced the inability to text after updating to 1.3.1 while roaming? I get no signal at home and need to use roam-only but after patching to 1.3.1 when I enable roam-only data is automatically turned off. The only way I can text via sms is to turn off roaming but the only way I can use the phone is to roam. Any ideas? This is also occurring on 2 other phones. I even tried Webdoctor for a fresh OS and then reapplied patches. When I do text via sms it times out. Occasionally people with other service providers will get message, and when they do get the messages they get multiple copies, one person got 26 texts. I'm stumped, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

11.32.09 - I tried to update thread title to reflect that 1.3.1 is not the cause.
    Last edited by ussfoshizzle; 11/23/2009 at 11:27 AM.
    do you have data roaming enabled under phone preferences?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I am having this problem as well. It did start with 1.3.1 but I just doctored back to 1.2.1 and had the same result. Clearly something has changed in the past week cause I had no problems texting while roaming before. I contacted Sprint and they said it must be a problem with Verizon's network and they can't help me....
    data roaming is mosy likely off but if it is on run webos repair utility it should fix everything if there is a software issue
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I have been having this problem. Discovered yesterday mine will work when I am in roam and Ev. If I am 1x it will not.
    Having data enabled should have nothing to do with it though since texts are not sent/received over the data network.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Also when you updated to 1.3.1 did you update your PRL, and Network Settings? Because in the update originally those were rolled back, update and you should be fine
    Quote Originally Posted by wisty View Post
    Also when you updated to 1.3.1 did you update your PRL, and Network Settings? Because in the update originally those were rolled back, update and you should be fine
    I've updated prl. Did not work for me.
  9.    #9  
    I updated PRL and network settings and nothing changed. I also am not seeing Roam-only in the phone preferences anymore. On previous versions of phone OS I had roam, sprint, and auto. Now I just have sprint and auto even after applying roam only. Is this normal?
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Wow, I thought it was just me. I've been having major issues when roaming and trying to use data.
    Global Posts
    457 Global Posts
    I am also having the same problem with roaming with data and txt. i witness that lastnight when i was roaming and none of my text was going thru. I had at least 4 bars or 3
    Yeah, this is extremely annoying. My texts will be faded with the error signal if i send a text while I'm roaming. In 1x and evdo, it sends perfectly fine. I have had SO MANY complaints from my friends saying that got the text several times over. Most of my friends use vibrate instead of ringing and my continuous copy texts are killing their phones.
    I need a fix for this as soon as possible. I'm a heavy text user and I want to be able to text my friends without issue.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    On Sprint I have never known an SMS message to go through while roaming. The text usually waits to send until it goes into a normal service area. This, as far as I know, is standard procedure. But I could be wrong, I am only speaking from experience while being on Sprint for the last 5 years.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    On Sprint I have never known an SMS message to go through while roaming. The text usually waits to send until it goes into a normal service area. This, as far as I know, is standard procedure. But I could be wrong, I am only speaking from experience while being on Sprint for the last 5 years.

Well I can tell you that this is not true...I have been living outside of any Sprint coverage what so ever for almost a year. Before the Pre I had the HTC Touch. With both I have been able to text, use data and call without any trouble. However I have received a letter from the roaming dpt. at Sprint saying that if I don't comply with the roaming contract my service will be cancled. I talked to them and they said that as long as I'm using at least 20% of my month on a Sprint network I should be good to go.

I'm thinking of moving to Verizon and getting the Droid, today I did a side by side comparison of the Pre and Droid. Both are very nice Phones, the Droid was a little faster, but I'm not sure I will be able to part with my Pre!!
    I have been experiencing the same issues. When I had 1.2.1 and below I could SMS & MMS while in Roam Only with Data Roaming enabled. Now that I have 1.3.1 the "Roam Only in Preferences" patch doesn't work at all. I use the "Advanced Phone Menu" patch to turn roaming on, but I no longer get the 1x icon. In fact there is no data at all. So when I am home with zero bars and no EV data signal, I cannot receive texts until I leave home. I am constantly switching the Roam on and off all day.

I am starting to regret leaving TMobile for Sprint. I never had any service coverage problems in my area. I just liked the Pre and the $99 unlimited plan a lot. Now I find out that the Unlimited plan actually only allows so much data usage each month and the unlimited roaming is limited. Sprint coverage has got to be the worst out of all the major carriers, how do they expect me and others with equally bad coverage to use our phones?
    I roam almost daily where I work and data and sms mms any message I send goes out so.... Run web os repair utility and see if it finds anything that needs fixin is my recommendation.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  17.    #17  
    So I wiped the pre last night. I'm back down to 1.2.1. I'm going to update to 1.3.1 again and reapply patch and see what happens. I do know that sms texts did go through while roaming because I never turn roam-only off. Even when I get a couple bars for Sprint calls drop. I'm actually amazed a phone company can such awful signal and be in business. In fact of the 4 phones on the family plan 3 never leave roaming because if they did they would be useless as phones. I really regret leaving Verizon. Argh
    you should ask for an airave i think thats how its spelled ,alot of people that dont get good signal at home have gotten them for free soo..... its worth a try anyways. and sprint has by far the best signal where i live and all around this part of the country so i dont know what your talking about myself. of course if your anywhere near an interstate, you should have better signal in this instance .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Wow...thanks for the post...don't have an answer, but wife and I are having same problem after applying 1.3.1.
    my wife and I have been testing this for the last week. Two pres. One roaming, one getting full sprint signal. The roaming handset sends sms messages and the native handset receives it. However, there is a problem with the transmission where the sending handset doesn't think things went through, and will push the message four times. The receiving native handset will receive it all four times. When attempting transmission the other direction, sent from sprint network to roaming network, the message does not appear to be sent from the sprint network, and is held in queue on the sprint network until the handset is bsack on sprint's network. Once the handset receives sprint signal, all the qqueued messages come in, out of order
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast