Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    I was messing around with internalz (homebrew app) when I noticed a .trash folder. In the folder was old files I thought were deleted from my pre. There were movie files (3GB) still in the trash. I deleted them and now my available memory went from 2GB to 5.8GB.

    When I had the itunes sync, it would break down where my memory was allocated (i.e.songs/pics) but for some reason the was always this "other" category that used the most memory. Now I know why.
  2. navinag's Avatar
    Posts
    455 Posts
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    #2  
    Where is this .trash folder you speak of...?
  3. MaxLOL's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #3  
    where is said .trash folder located?
  4.    #4  
    the trash folder was located at /media/internal/.trashes
  5. #5  
    Anyone else think this would be an AWESOME app if someone could make it...?
    <a href=http://twitter.com/reagan247 target=_blank>http://twitter.com/reagan247</a>
  6. MaxLOL's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #6  
    I do not have said .trash folder
  7. #7  
    Sounds like a Mac OS X thing. It probably creates a .trashes folder on any USB storage device you use.
  8.    #8  
    I do have a Mac, but it can't update to java 6. So I use webos quick install on my wife's windows pc. However I have used usb drive function on my Mac OS tiger.
  9. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    I was messing around with internalz (homebrew app) when I noticed a .trash folder. In the folder was old files I thought were deleted from my pre. There were movie files (3GB) still in the trash. I deleted them and now my available memory went from 2GB to 5.8GB.

    When I had the itunes sync, it would break down where my memory was allocated (i.e.songs/pics) but for some reason the was always this "other" category that used the most memory. Now I know why.
    That's your operating system (desktop) putting the file in a recycle/trash bin instead of deleting it.

    Under windows, you can hold control-delete to really delete a file and bypass the recycle bin.. There's probably a similar keystroke on the mac.
    -m
  10. #10  
    no .trash folder here. I blame apple....
  11. #11  
    It is definitely an apple thing, your Mac puts this folder on all storage devices. Emptying it will get you space as whatever you throw away actually goes there unless you empty your trash before ejecting the device.
  12. #12  
    I just recovered 3GB by deleted data that's been building up in my .trash folder.
    Former Centro, Treo 700P, Treo 600, Tungsten T, M505 and PalmIII user...currently a Pre owner.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    I was messing around with internalz (homebrew app) when I noticed a .trash folder. In the folder was old files I thought were deleted from my pre. There were movie files (3GB) still in the trash. I deleted them and now my available memory went from 2GB to 5.8GB.

    When I had the itunes sync, it would break down where my memory was allocated (i.e.songs/pics) but for some reason the was always this "other" category that used the most memory. Now I know why.
    How did you gain access to the .trash via internalz in order to empty it ?
  14. #14  
    On my mac connected in USB mode I used the mac terminal app. cd to the palm pre under volumes. Do an ls -la to view the hidden files. You will than see the .trash folder. I just deleted the contents of the .trash folder.

    If you on a windows machine set the folder options to view hidden files and you should see the .trash folder if it exists.
    Former Centro, Treo 700P, Treo 600, Tungsten T, M505 and PalmIII user...currently a Pre owner.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxdrive10 View Post
    On my mac connected in USB mode I used the mac terminal app. cd to the palm pre under volumes. Do an ls -la to view the hidden files. You will than see the .trash folder. I just deleted the contents of the .trash folder.

    If you on a windows machine set the folder options to view hidden files and you should see the .trash folder if it exists.
    I'm going to try that , thanks

    No trash file after enabling hidden files/folders
    Last edited by Colonel Angus; 12/03/2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: didn't work
  16. #16  
    Couldn't figure out why my Pre's memory was full, and found out that this was the problem. The folder (my was called ".Trashes") was over 6 gigabytes. I guess it is a Mac related issue.

    Here's an even quicker and easier fix to it without enabling viewing of the hidden folders...

    1. Plug your Pre up to your Mac with the USB cable
    2. Enable the USB drive mode
    3. Empty your Trash on your Mac. This also empties the mysterious Trash folder on the Pre also.
    4. Problem solved.
  17. #17  
    I have the .trash-1000 folder I use a linux machine I guess this would be the same trash folder
  18. #18  
    This is a common Unix/Linux thing. When you delete files off a removable drive, it'll move it to a hidden folder (usually .trash), and the files will appear on your system's Trash Bin/Recycle Bin. If you don't empty your Trash Bin before you eject the drive, they'll stay there and reappear after you reconnect the drive. Windows, on the other hand, will just delete it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewbgage View Post
    Couldn't figure out why my Pre's memory was full, and found out that this was the problem. The folder (my was called ".Trashes") was over 6 gigabytes. I guess it is a Mac related issue.

    Here's an even quicker and easier fix to it without enabling viewing of the hidden folders...

    1. Plug your Pre up to your Mac with the USB cable
    2. Enable the USB drive mode
    3. Empty your Trash on your Mac. This also empties the mysterious Trash folder on the Pre also.
    4. Problem solved.
    This Works. Before I Plugged In My Pre, My Mac Trash Was Empty, But The Minute I Plugged It In And Put It On USB Mode, The Trash Had Stuff In It, And When I Looked, It Was Old Stuff I Deleted On The Pre. Kinda Good And Bad Ina Way.

Posting Permissions