1.    #1  
    I believe I may have found a simple temporary solution to help speed up animations and scrolling considerably: change your wallpaper.

For months now, I had been using wallpapers found on http://www.everythingpre.com because of their size and detail, and look great on the Pre's screen. However the UI had begun to run slower, but I never attributed that to wallpaper, I just assumed it was background processes running. So yesterday I downloaded the new Backgrounds app, chose a wallpaper in it, and voila! My Pre's UI INSTANTLY became fast and VERY smooth, especially while scrolling in launcher pages, even with a lot of apps running.

So I ask the people with sluggish UI's, are your wallpapers bigger in pixels than the Pre's 320x480 screen? If so, try shrinking them to that resolution or trying wallpapers from the Backgrounds app. It seriously made a huge difference for me. My Pre is flowing smooth as butter now. :-)
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
  3.    #3  
    It sounds farfetched, but I'm serious.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Hmmm, I've wondered about this for quite a while, but never experimented with it. If the Pre's GPU isn't being used currently, I could see a little extra CPU time being spent to scale the jpg down, but I never could see it being an ongoing process, just a one time delay when the background is loaded. Anyone know different?

funny pic!
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I've got a properly sized wallpaper that is only 60kb big. Still laggy as hell. Ps. our phones have the same resolution as the iPhone, extremely easy to find properly sized wallpapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by tayl428 View Post
    Hmmm, I've wondered about this for quite a while, but never experimented with it. If the Pre's GPU isn't being used currently, I could see a little extra CPU time being spent to scale the jpg down, but I never could see it being an ongoing process, just a one time delay when the background is loaded. Anyone know different?

funny pic!
    The Pre's GPU isn't being used, period. It's sitting there idle, waiting for Palm to allow it to help it's brother, Mr. CPU.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I use switcharoo free and I can that it converts anything it loads to the proper size. I don't have extreme lag, but sometimes it slows down a little. I expect that as Switcharoo convert the size, it will eat up some CPU cycles.
    Doesn't make a difference.

I've taken it a bit further. I downloaded images of my favorite models from dimewars and while viewing the images in the photo app, I did a screen capture. The screen capture will put the images in the correct size 320x480 and have the rounded edges. Created a folder name WP and used switcharoo or just the image itself and the pre is still sluggish.

The most sluggish part of the pre for me is the phone app. Switching between call log and number pad. I have to wait anywhere from 10 to 15 seconds for it to toggle.

Also listening to music from any source slows the Pre down while reading email or sending text msgs.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Run the webOS Repair Utility and see if you have any issues with your Pre. I have seen it help speed up my Pre quit drastically.