Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just to try some things out, before the 1.3.1 update I had used Quick System Tools to turn off my GPS, Bluetooth, Data, and Wifi. (You can do this all manually through other programs, but Quick System puts it all together.)

I had basic usage of the phone - not heavy, but some web searching and GPS when needed. Turn the GPS, etc., on when you need it, then off again when you're done.

Not a perfect solution, but nice to know that it's possible. For heavy Data users, this may not be a great option, but I tried it again with Data turned on all the time, and was able to go a day and a half.

One more note - one day I left Zilch running as a card, and my battery life died! I don't know if every program does this, but evidently some still access the battery when minimized!

I will try this again with 1.3.1 and let you know how it went.
    If you get 2 days out of the standard battery, you'd better hold on to that battery! I will also be astonished.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I know for sure that I've had a web browser card and email card out for a few hours while I was at work and my battery life did not deplete faster than usual.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Have you had issues with Quick System Tasks after 1.3.1?? It doesn't minimize to the notify tray anymore for me...

I keep waiting for update but i don't see it...
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Yes, mine also does not appear after 1.3.1
    People keep complaining about the battery life (and mine's not great either), but I don't think people realize how much more they use their phone with the pre just because it's so nice to use! My old sanyo flip would last 2 days with some texting, checking espn for scores every once in a while, and a few phone calls. My windows mobile phone (htc touch) would last pretty much 1 full day with only occasional problems...but I noted my texting increased significantly, my web browsing as well...just because I felt it was easier than the sanyo. Now with the pre, I am constantly on the web, using apps, navigation, texting because it's just a pleasure to use...however that does force me to charge the phone during the day for a little nearly every day...yeah, I have to charge the phone, but if I used my old flip phone the way I use my pre, I doubt it would last much longer than the pre...yeah, i could turn off all the functionality of the pre, it would then be basically equivalent to my old sanyo flip...I'd probably get 2 days of battery with it
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodoh View Post
    Yes, mine also does not appear after 1.3.1
    Quick System Tasks isn't needed so much anymore, there are patches to add DATA, Brightness, GPS and Roam Only toggles to your top bar menu.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/
  8.    #8  
    Yes, Quick System Tool doesn't minimize at the present, but is still available through the app launcher. You can also add it to the tool bar, if you have that patch.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    That's cool and all but as someone who actually likes to use the device he bought to it's full potential and get his money's worth out of plans you're forced into with high amounts of minutes and unlimited internet the standard battery just seems pointless. $60 turns the phone from something you have to monitor, be weary of, and conservative with your own technology for fears of being left without a phone to making the device convenient and hassle free.

Get the extended batteries people, they're worth it. (I'd personally recommend the 2600).
    I turn off all the stuff except for data except when not in use and i don't even get close to two days. The data usuage is what uses most of the battery and i refuse to turn that off...I depend on it all the time. Without data this phone is no better than a feature phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    Have you had issues with Quick System Tasks after 1.3.1?? It doesn't minimize to the notify tray anymore for me...

I keep waiting for update but i don't see it...
    +1
    On an average day I can get about 2 days out of my battery too.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    That's cool and all but as someone who actually likes to use the device he bought to it's full potential and get his money's worth out of plans you're forced into with high amounts of minutes and unlimited internet the standard battery just seems pointless. $60 turns the phone from something you have to monitor, be weary of, and conservative with your own technology for fears of being left without a phone to making the device convenient and hassle free.

Get the extended batteries people, they're worth it. (I'd personally recommend the 2600).
    I use my phone to it's potential, just not 100% of the time 24 hours a day. I don't really need Data when I'm driving or watching TV. That's why I like System Tool - it's my choice when the battery is being drained or not.

All that being said, I wish the stock battery was more powerful to begin with.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    I use my phone to it's potential, just not 100% of the time 24 hours a day. I don't really need Data when I'm driving or watching TV. That's why I like System Tool - it's my choice when the battery is being drained or not.

All that being said, I wish the stock battery was more powerful to begin with.
    I agree with this. I turn the features on and off as needed, and can get pretty good battery life.

In mid October we took a big trip to Disney with multiple families, and I was the organizer. I was the person doing a lot of texting and phone calls through out the day. Since Data, GPS, BLuetooth, etc, are all not needed for calls and texting, I had it all turned off.

I would turn data on occasionally to do a Facebook update and to upload pictures. After I was done, I just turned it back off (using Quick System).

We would be out the door some days around 8:00 to 8:15 in the morning, and the phone did not see a charger until 9:00 or 10:00 pm on some days. Not once did I have less than 65%.

It really is data that can kill a battery while the phone is idle. If you do not need it while the phone is idle, turn it off.
    Smartphone/PDA/MP3 History: Palm III, Handspring Visor, iPaq 37XX, iPaq 41XX, HTC PPC6700 - Current: HTC Mogul, Palm Pre, BB 8830 (work), and 32G iPod Touch 2G (oh yeah, wife's BB Curve).
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    My A900 and Razr2 had horrible battery life. The Pre has appropriate battery life for my use. Plus, I have touchstones everywhere so I've never had a battery die on me yet.
    I noticed that turning off the wifi radio reduces battery consumption also. When I'm somewhere I know there's wifi (home, office, coffee shop, etc.), I turn wifi on. Otherwise, I just leave it off. Seems to improve battery life.
  17.    #17  
    I have been monitoring my Pre for the past week to see if the "2-day without charging" was a fluke. My Pre has now gone 4 times on a 2-day charge.

In simple language, I have gone 8 days while only charging my Pre 4 times. I will now try to turn various power devices on (GPS, Data, WiFi) and see which of these draw the most battery life. I will update as things progress.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Wifi is off when the phone is asleep anyway, and the Wifi radio
    uses less juice than the EVDO radio when active, so if you're
    actually *using* the Pre for anything useful, you're better off with Wifi on.
    If you turn off both Data and Wifi all the time, then you've just got a
    sleeping brick. Great battery life, no functionality. I could easily go more
    than 2 days with both Data and Wifi turned off, but why bother.

I run Wifi on, Data on, GPS off, Screen brightness at 25%, and
    my Pre draws 2%/hr on pure standby (giving 40+ hrs) and 3-4% /hr
    with light usage mid-day (25-30 hrs). Streaming and long calls
    kill it.

ian
  19.    #19  
    The biggest killers I've found so far are active Navigation (with the screen turned on; turning it off saves some battery life), and video/music on.

I turn my WiFi and EVDO and GPS when I need them, and off when I don't. I don't use internet 24 hours a day on my phone. I also don't push my e-mail, since I find it more convenient to use my laptop. I can still access e-mail when I want to, but don't really care to have it on my phone. I spent most of my time deleting it all, anyway.
    I use the radios off homebrew app to switch them off between 11pm-7am.

Get 3.5 days that way.

This is with a light usage pattern (wifes phone)
    Last edited by Gumbochief; 12/04/2009 at 12:53 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast