View Poll Results: Have you donated to Aonic yet?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes..Aonic Rules!!

94 70.15%
  • NO..but I should

8 5.97%
  • NO...I am going to right now.

2 1.49%
  • NO...I don't use tether and have no use for it.

17 12.69%
  • I am Lame I'm waitting for the Fix.

13 9.70%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I love developers that sell open source code under the guise of a "donation" without properly documenting it!
    I will say it again, all y'all stop your childish whining. It's not like he has given up and said F-U...he's working on a fix. PALM made a change that broke his program, its not like he broke it. Give him time and I'm sure he will fix it. And if wifi tethering is THAT important to you, use webOS Doctor to go back to 1.2.x and turn off updates while he works on it. Sheesh.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    the only thing more annoying than the "donations" are the people that defend him(jack, doc, and captain america over here)
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    the only thing more annoying than the "donations" are the people that defend him(jack, doc, and captain america over here)
    No whats most anyoing is Whinners like you who do not have their facts straight.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I love developers that sell open source code under the guise of a "donation" without properly documenting it!
    Have you requested the source code?
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    This is not what any of us paid for. A required donation is a purchase, and if MyTether disabled the camera from the start I guarantee 90% of the people who 'donated for' (bought) this app wouldnt have. I am glad there is progress, but this isnt success by any means.
    Ok when did you "pay" for it....was it before 1.2.1?

If you paid for it then, IT WAS WORKING AND WORKED GREAT.

If you paid after 1.3.1, then uh CANT YOU READ......it was clearly posted that there were problems and a solution was forthcoming.

And I AM TIRED OF ASKING......CAN YOU DO BETTER...if so than do so and quit whinning.
    and bryan this is not singling you out....I'm just using your post to make a point and example.

Hey I donated my money when i got 1.2.1 and i loved myteher and used it constantly...the 1.3.1 update broke it, not Aonics fault is it? NO

Hell I even sent another donation....to me its worth it to help a guy out who is trying to help us out.

Look at this point as well...you still have USB and BT connection if the WiFi never worked again, which it does; Any other program before that did this for any other phone in the past was way more expensive than $10.00. Wow I am out $10 (for me $20), ok so you never bought a lottery ticket, a raffle ticket, or a scratch off????? Those are all chances, and you dont go screaming to the lottery commision...."I DIDNT WIN I GOT RIPPED OFF, I DIDNT PAY FOR THIS" RIGHT??? So look at it that way if you cant accept that Aonic is human and doing his best.
    I hate to sound like a *****ing old man, but come on....
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    Where do you people get that it is not open source?
    Code:
    /**
     * Tethering App
     * (c) 2009 Raja Kapur <raja@aonic.net>
     * @author Raja Kapur
     * @link http://mytether.net
     */
    Doesn't state open source. States copyright.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Love MyTether. Feel the few bucks paid/donated whatever was well worth it.

Im staying with 1.2.1 for now, so no 1.3.1 issues for me, no thanks, not yet.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    Code:
    /**
     * Tethering App
     * (c) 2009 Raja Kapur <raja@aonic.net>
     * @author Raja Kapur
     * @link http://mytether.net
     */
    Doesn't state open source. States copyright.
    WOW you are a Moron arent you????

Come on Dude something can be copyrighted and open source at the same time.

And I as I asked before....have you or anyone asked him for the source code? I BET NOT

I have to add...why are you so upset personally that as you put it "its not open source", if you know anything about programming (which you haven't shown an inkling that you do) you can simply get the code yourself; a copyright does not stop anyone from getting the code if they know how to program and how to access files.

Hey wait i just saww where your from......I bet you hang out with Ole Bill Gates don't ya..that would explain alot of your narowminded thinking here.

Her is some legaleeeze for ya

"The open source model can allow for the concurrent use of different agendas and ..... and therefore require access to content that is often copyrighted..."
    Last edited by DocHemi; 11/23/2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Some leagleezze for ya
    So the patching is a temp fix for those who want WIFI NOW!!! in time i am sure there will be a full resolution to the wifi issue. as for people who had their wifi stop working all together.. this is because they either installed mytether from preware which was basically a hacked version of the mytether installer that replaced the new wifi driver with the old... this was made by jason.... and warned by myself and aonic that it is not a supported method and risks bricking the pre or parts of the pre..

PS... this fix has WIFI tethering mode.. with no cam.. and when done tethering you can go back to having your cam working.... now if you take pictures while you tether... i guess you are out of luck if you are trying wifi tethering haha
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    So the patching is a temp fix for those who want WIFI NOW!!! in time i am sure there will be a full resolution to the wifi issue. as for people who had their wifi stop working all together.. this is because they either installed mytether from preware which was basically a hacked version of the mytether installer that replaced the new wifi driver with the old... this was made by jason.... and warned by myself and aonic that it is not a supported method and risks bricking the pre or parts of the pre..
    Well put Jack.....
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Ok I'm a nut for figures and statistics....

According to the poll...over 75% of the people that voted support Aonic and his work for us....not all monitarily, but they support him.

And 25% dont, of that 25% some are waitting on the fence. Probability says that some of those will support him.

My point is this.....those here whinning and crying (not those with issues, and needing tech help), you know who you are and your in the minority....
    maybe the rest of the world ISN'T WRONG?

Just some food for thought
    This attitude that it is ok to accept poor value and service because "you couldnt do better' is absurd. There are many things I choose not to learn how to do, for example: car repair. That doesnt mean I would accept for one minute my mechanic saying "oh you know that headlight problem, well I fixed it but now your trunk wont stay closed. If you dont like it learn to fix it yourself".

Do you understand how absurd your attitude is?

Aonic took money in exchange for a product. That product no longer works the way it did before. Until that is fixed people have a right to feel slighted.

If you paid after 1.3.1, then uh CANT YOU READ......it was clearly posted that there were problems and a solution was forthcoming.

And I AM TIRED OF ASKING......CAN YOU DO BETTER...if so than do so and quit whinning.
    and bryan this is not singling you out....I'm just using your post to make a point and example.

Hey I donated my money when i got 1.2.1 and i loved myteher and used it constantly...the 1.3.1 update broke it, not Aonics fault is it? NO

Hell I even sent another donation....to me its worth it to help a guy out who is trying to help us out.

Look at this point as well...you still have USB and BT connection if the WiFi never worked again, which it does; Any other program before that did this for any other phone in the past was way more expensive than $10.00. Wow I am out $10 (for me $20), ok so you never bought a lottery ticket, a raffle ticket, or a scratch off????? Those are all chances, and you dont go screaming to the lottery commision...."I DIDNT WIN I GOT RIPPED OFF, I DIDNT PAY FOR THIS" RIGHT??? So look at it that way if you cant accept that Aonic is human and doing his best.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    This attitude that it is ok to accept poor value and service because "you couldnt do better' is absurd. There are many things I choose not to learn how to do, for example: car repair. That doesnt mean I would accept for one minute my mechanic saying "oh you know that headlight problem, well I fixed it but now your trunk wont stay closed. If you dont like it learn to fix it yourself".

Do you understand how absurd your attitude is?

Aonic took money in exchange for a product. That product no longer works the way it did before. Until that is fixed people have a right to feel slighted.
    That is rediculous.....

OK your from NYC...lets say you take the rail to work eveyday because it works for you, next month they say nope we are only going to run 1 train from point A to Point B, you use to get off at point F.....The rules got changed by people that are out of our control..we either have to adapt and make the best of it......or cry and complain that we got ripped off somehow..........What route are you taking???

Why not be creative and helpfull?? Why not get that big ole mellon of yours and put it to work trying to solve the issue.....OH WAIT its easier to ***** than put forward some hard work for the better of all.

WE PAID as you put it...for a pruduct that worked 100% under 1.2.1 WebOS.

It was not stated or implied that it would work after any future updates.

What you are proposing by your expressed train of thought is.....

You buy a car today.....and you drive it for 6 months all over the country on interstate highways....the goverment says you are no longer allowed to drive on interstate highways..we are taking them back for govement use......DO YOU THEN GO ***** TO THE CAR MAUFACTURER THAT YOU CAN NO LONGER DRIVE ON INTERSTATES???

Simply you are trying to blame Aonic for something out of his control....Aonic did not create or publish 1.3.1 that broke MyTether....he had no control nor any way of knowing this would happen.
    Last edited by DocHemi; 11/23/2009 at 08:42 PM.
    This is not what any of us paid for. A required donation is a purchase, and if MyTether disabled the camera from the start I guarantee 90% of the people who 'donated for' (bought) this app wouldnt have. I am glad there is progress, but this isnt success by any means.
    Okay... how is a donation required when the man has a free version of the app available.. also has not removed wifi aspects of the free app to allow advanced developers to do what they wish with it henc lethal's attempts. As for purchace vs donation... i for one could not put a product out there for purchase that i could not guarentee someone wont break it the next day... i guess thats something you might do? well i think in a case like that you will have a lot of people ****ed off at you.

With palm and sprint against tethering on the pre in america then there is no way Aonic can justify selling something he can not guarantee as for others who viewed this as a purchase and were frustrated when it stopped working i am sorry you should of known better.

now on PBS channels i always see them asking for donation all the time!!! to support the ability to have free tv programing. and when donating people receive gifts should they be purchasing these so called gifts like for tickets to clasical concerts or dvds of some programing should pbs call these purchases?

I feel like Donors donating are supporting the development of the free version of mytether to continue working... donors are helping those who dont want to or just can not afford to donate to still be able to tether. and as a result aonic is rewarding them (gift as pbs does) with the ability to wifi tether.

Free mytether is not crippled by any means... in my opinion usb and Bluetooth tether are superior to wifi tethering and are my first choice for tethering method. very rare use wifi to tether.

Now if there was an auto disconnect every hour that on the other hand would be a crippled version... and that sure is not the case.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts

I paid for it back when WiFi broke for the free version, and the only fix was for the paid version. I could have used USB or BT in the free version, but I specifically paid the $14.95 for WiFi. (Where the $%#% do you come up with $10?)

I fully understand that this broke because of Palm and not something he did.

This is NOTHING like a lottery. In a Lottery I certainly don't EXPECT to win. I may HOPE to win. In this case I PAID for WiFi Functionality. I wasn't gambling on if the program would work, it was advertised as providing WiFi tethering.

Now, a comment I said earlier was about his lack of updates. Had he been more open, and posting more updates as to what the issue is, and that he is making progress, or stuck, or what ever the issue is/was that would have been preferable to the silence for several days at a time.

More communication. I think the lack of communication is the biggest complaint. At one point it felt like he HAD given up.
    -----------------
    I used the tethering for one weekend a few months ago at a hotel while on vacation, back before Aonic made two versions, paid & free. I gladly paid $10 for saving my vacation-bacon because we were told the hotel had free wifi when it didn't actually reach our room. Any use I get out of it from here on out is gravy.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    I paid for it back when WiFi broke for the free version, and the only fix was for the paid version. I could have used USB or BT in the free version, but I specifically paid the $14.95 for WiFi. (Where the $%#% do you come up with $10?)

This is NOTHING like a lottery. In a Lottery I certainly don't EXPECT to win. I may HOPE to win. In this case I PAID for WiFi Functionality. I wasn't gambling on if the program would work, it was advertised as providing WiFi tethering.

Now, a comment I said earlier was about his lack of updates. Had he been more open, and posting more updates as to what the issue is, and that he is making progress, or stuck, or what ever the issue is/was that would have been preferable to the silence for several days at a time.

More communication. I think the lack of communication is the biggest complaint. At one point it felt like he HAD given up.
    refer back to my post right above yours might shed some light on your situation good luck to you

http://twitter.com/mytether <== updates as you wished... trust me i wouldnt post an update every 10min to satisfy your need to the question "are we there yet"
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts

Sorry you are correct it was $14.95 not $10

but then again I dont cry about $5..........SO
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    WOW you are a Moron arent you????
    ok, Name calling, that is over the line. I never called you or anyone else names.

I have NEVER worked for Microsoft.

I never claimed to be an expert on Open Source, however I have never seen an open source product that doesn't STATE open source and under what license the product is.

No I haven't asked for the source code. The source code IS accessible, that doesn't mean we can legally change anything or use any of his code. I don't take peoples code. I might try to learn from it, but I don't steal it.

I haven't trash talked anyone, I simply pointed out my feelings about some short comings. I'm sorry if I ruffled the feathers of any of his *******, I just felt slighted.

For the record 1.3.1 was available to a lot of developers prior to the general release. If he didn't have it, all he had to do was speak up and ask for someone with it to test it for him. He would have then been able to have known before hand if it worked or not. He then could have given instructions to people to say on 1.2.1 until he had a fix. He could have given the specific instructions to do so.

Again it comes down to communication or rather lack of it.

Could I program it better? no. I never said I could. I said a team of developers could have put multiple minds on the problem to overcome the issue.
    -----------------
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast