View Poll Results: Have you donated to Aonic yet?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes..Aonic Rules!!

94 70.15%
  • NO..but I should

8 5.97%
  • NO...I am going to right now.

2 1.49%
  • NO...I don't use tether and have no use for it.

17 12.69%
  • I am Lame I'm waitting for the Fix.

13 9.70%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    No, and I don't plan to. I would donate to Jason if he gets it working though.
    i have updated to 1.3.1 and now when i installed my tether the way i did before with the old software, i cant us my wifi. I even uninstalled my tether and the program that runs it but still cant get wifi to work. I dont even need the mytether. I do use wifi and i need that to be working were i dont get a good data signal at home. why am i still having this problem after removing.
    Last edited by Nickmassey82; 11/21/2009 at 01:46 PM.
    ;SPRINT SERVICE/REPAIR TECH
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    The 1.3.1 update broke the app working as it did in 1.2.1.

Aonic is suppose to be having the new installer with it fixed this weekend.
    You guys are lucky I am not the developer. :> There would be no free version and donations would be $20 or even $25. I would also build in some kind of security so it would be linked to a device ID somehow so people couldnt steal it.
    If he gets wifi working without breaking the camera it will be a neat trick. I spent a lot of time on this myself to update the free version and couldn't get around the issue. BT and USB tethering took five minutes to get working, but wifi is rough without making significant changes to Palm's code (which may break other things).

I'm hoping he fixes the problem because it's mad annoying; I compiled additional codec support for the WebOS media player a few months back, but it also broke the camera.

Edit: And this is a terrible fan boy thread, you should be ashamed.
    Last edited by Leathal; 11/23/2009 at 08:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    If he were to release the project under the GPL or BSD licenses I would gladly support it financially, but holding back the true version of the program to 'donators' while using crippleware to entice people to buy it isn't donations at all, it's selling software - and selling closed software. I'm not saying this is some evil practice and closed source developers shouldn't be paid, I just don't morally agree with financially supporting them if I don't have to.

What can I say, it's the neckbeard in me.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
    You guys are lucky I am not the developer. :> There would be no free version and donations would be $20 or even $25. I would also build in some kind of security so it would be linked to a device ID somehow so people couldnt steal it.

if is made by a human it always be a hole to hack it.
    while donations might not get you wifi at the moment, they at least give him some money for the time spent working on this app. To complain about it is worthless. He is up against two large companies who obviously want to impede his progress. Have some patience and quit hating. If you are so unhappy with the work he is doing then go develop your own program and charge whatever you want.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superjudge View Post
    while donations might not get you wifi at the moment, they at least give him some money for the time spent working on this app. To complain about it is worthless. He is up against two large companies who obviously want to impede his progress. Have some patience and quit hating. If you are so unhappy with the work he is doing then go develop your own program and charge whatever you want.
    exactly what i said before
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    If he were to release the project under the GPL or BSD licenses I would gladly support it financially, but holding back the true version of the program to 'donators' while using crippleware to entice people to buy it isn't donations at all, it's selling software - and selling closed software. I'm not saying this is some evil practice and closed source developers shouldn't be paid, I just don't morally agree with financially supporting them if I don't have to.

What can I say, it's the neckbeard in me.
    How do you figure he is using crippleware?
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    If he gets wifi working without breaking the camera it will be a neat trick. I spent a lot of time on this myself to update the free version and couldn't get around the issue. BT and USB tethering took five minutes to get working, but wifi is rough without making significant changes to Palm's code (which may break other things).

I'm hoping he fixes the problem because it's mad annoying; I compiled additional codec support for the WebOS media player a few months back, but it also broke the camera.

Edit: And this is a terrible fan boy thread, you should be ashamed.
    FAN BOY THREAD??? NO

I think Aonic Needs support...plain and simple.

And I wanted to gather some information with the poll to see how others feel...nothing more nothing less.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    The 1.3.1 update broke the app working as it did in 1.2.1.

Aonic is suppose to be having the new installer with it fixed this weekend.
    AONIC DID IT!!!!

WiFI is again working.....the camera wont work while the patch is installed, buthopefully he can find a work around for this in the future.

Myself, I never use the camera, I have a 12MP camera I use for pictures and that being the case, have no use for the camera phone.

But it would be a nice feather in Aonics cap if he could make this happen, if nothing else to be able to say I did something no one else has been able to do.

Last edited by DocHemi; 11/23/2009 at 12:00 PM.
    AONIC DID IT!!!!

WiFI is again working.....the camera wont work while the patch is installed, buthopefully he can find a work around for this in the future.

Myself, I never use the camera, I have a 12MP camera I use for pictures and that being the case, have no use for the camera phone.

But it would be a nice feather in Aonics cap if he could make this happen, if nothing else to be able to say I did something no one else has been able to do.

Ahhhh damn....I definetly use my Camera constantly so this is a bummer. I also have a Camera I use for taking pictures more seriously (My B-day present, a Canon EOS Rebel T1i) but I don't carry it with me 24/7 like I do with my Pre. = - ( I'd be willing to pay $50 bucks for a tethering option with Wifi that doesn't break anything.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    Ahhhh damn....I definetly use my Camera constantly so this is a bummer. I also have a Camera I use for taking pictures more seriously (My B-day present, a Canon EOS Rebel T1i) but I don't carry it with me 24/7 like I do with my Pre. = - ( I'd be willing to pay $50 bucks for a tethering option with Wifi that doesn't break anything.
    If you want to use your cam its real easy to remove the patch and cam works again...it only takes about 1 1/2 minutes to fix it up and cam will work again, then re patch to tether...berst option we have right at the moment
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Your poll is missing an option. Yes, I donated but I don't feel like it was a donation. It was the only way to get a WIFI working version at the time.

To me it sounds odd that the Camera would break when using the WiFi tethering, but not when using WiFi in general. I now seriously question what all he is doing under the hood.

I echo that this product should be open source. That way other brilliant minds in the community could continue to work on it and contribute. He wouldn't have to pull of 14 hour troubleshooting sessions to fix it if he actually had some help.

So my vote, Paid, but wish I hadn't. His updates while working on the problem were FEW and far between. To me that isn't acceptable for a paid application. And yes, it's a paid application. The free version IS CRIPPLEWARE. OK, maybe it could be called shareware. You pay you get features unlocked.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I echo that this product should be open source. That way other brilliant minds in the community could continue to work on it and contribute. He wouldn't have to pull of 14 hour troubleshooting sessions to fix it if he actually had some help.
    I think everyone that is dictating how this program "should" be developed needs to get on the stick and start developing a version that fits those "shoulds".

I can't do it. So, I'll pay somone who can. He got to me before anyone else. as a matter of fact, no one else has yet...

Maybe some of the "other brilliant minds" can do it...

'Till then, I'm out the cost of a few Starbucks coffees, and thrilled with what I got in return.
    I paid and did so happily. Heck it's sell than half the price that PDANet was fior my Treo and this works better and more reliably. remember, wfi tethering works great on versions previous to 1.3.1...it's easy to disable the update and stick with 1.2.x until the final/real fix for 1.3.1 tethering is done. Everyone should stop *****ing, and give the man the time he needs to come up with a fix. It works great on 1.2.x and if you look at the forums...it seems like 1.3.1 sucks anyway...is it really a big deal to stick with 1.2.x for a while? Sheesh, crybabies...
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    I donated as well, wasn't able to use the program before the update because my work laptop has a security patch to keep it from connecting to an ad-hoc network.. :-( and i was unable to get USB tether to work as well...
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    Your poll is missing an option. Yes, I donated but I don't feel like it was a donation. It was the only way to get a WIFI working version at the time.

To me it sounds odd that the Camera would break when using the WiFi tethering, but not when using WiFi in general. I now seriously question what all he is doing under the hood.

So my vote, Paid, but wish I hadn't. His updates while working on the problem were FEW and far between. To me that isn't acceptable for a paid application. And yes, it's a paid application. The free version IS CRIPPLEWARE. OK, maybe it could be called shareware. You pay you get features unlocked.
    Where do you people get that it is not open source?

Aonic is using the coding provided by palm, and modifying it. Anyone who wants to can get the developer kit and access to the WebOS platform and develope to their hearts content.

As to the camera issues, it is very obvious that the coding and porting of 1.3.1 was a deliberate attempt by Palm to stop the Tethering as it was currently being implemented. That said, the camera and wifi coding share alot of information in the WebOS platform (again deliberate issue), and since this is the case, it will take some time to work around it...possibly re write the code for a new camera operation and take it out of the "loop" so to say, to allow the tethering full operation.
    Everything in WebOS is very interwoven....one patch or tweak may effect many other things adversly, even tho its not intended to.
    AONIC DID IT!!!!

This is not what any of us paid for. A required donation is a purchase, and if MyTether disabled the camera from the start I guarantee 90% of the people who 'donated for' (bought) this app wouldnt have. I am glad there is progress, but this isnt success by any means.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast