View Poll Results: Have you installed on your Palm Preware?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I am glad I did

159 93.53%
  • No, I don't feel there is any need for it.

11 6.47%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was wondering, have you installed Preware on your Palm Pre? If yes, why?

Of course I would love to have some of the apps that are available on homebrew, but I also see that most people with problems have also preware installed...

I am coming from the iPhone world, where jailbreaking although possible, wasn't exactly without problems.

I am not going to install Preware for the moment, as I don't feel there is any need to do so..or am I missing something?
    So, because of the Dr. and tools like The Emergency Patch Removal Tool, there's really no reason not to install Preware.

People rarely have big problems with patches or Preware, except for forgetting to uninstall everything before they run a Palm Update.

I'd suggest for you to just do it. It's well worth it and you'd be surprised the apps, themes, and patches that make webos even better.
  3.    #3  
    Can I run it without problems on a German Palm Pre without changing the language of the OS?
    You know, I honestly don't know to what extent it works with different cultures.

I think it's more 1.3.1 centric though so I'd suggest waiting for that update.
    I can't imagine not having the functionality that comes with preware and home brew.
    It is this flexibility and funcationality that made be get that throwuppy taste in my mouth every time I used my iphone 3G.

It isn't for everyone.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Yeah I like the pre ware also but downloaded it to my phone the 1st time and I couldn't get #on my dialpad. I had to take off preware to get the #'s back. Downloaded again and my text messaging didn't work anymore. Since then I got a replacement phone and haven't tried it again.
    I think probably most of the problems arise from folks who installed themes and patches but did not uninstall these for firmware upgrades. The Preware apps (not patches) themselves are safe.
    Some (e.g. DrugView ) will not be submitted to the App Catalog
    i said NO, but not because i dont want too.........
    i was/am waiting for the new firmware before patching my pre
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCedSS View Post
    Yeah I like the pre ware also but downloaded it to my phone the 1st time and I couldn't get #on my dialpad. I had to take off preware to get the #'s back. Downloaded again and my text messaging didn't work anymore. Since then I got a replacement phone and haven't tried it again.
    That is really weird. What version of preware did you install? What OS did you have? I have used mine on both O2 1.1.3 and Sprint 1.2.1 and never had any probs with it...
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Ive also owned a iphone in the past and family members have them now. Preware is much simpler and less troublesome than jailbreaking, in fact ive only seen improvements with preware whereas jailbreaking tended to cause instability
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I had this same problem. This was when it was possible to install 1.2.1 patches on the 1.1.3 os, preware has been changed since then so it doesnt show incompatible patches.
    Cant remember which exact patch caused it but it was one of the incompatible ones
    I used preware in the past but felt it sloooowed my pre down drastically,at least thats how it felt to me.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    In Simple Terms....This phone is nothing without Preware, Patches, Tweaks and Home Brew....NOTHING.....thanks to all Devs
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I have it on mine. Mainly because I can, I am happy to doctor my fone back to factory if I break it.

We don't have many apps in the uk yet so for me its great
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Always use Preware for the apps, but don't install any patches. The apps don't affect the phone..
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I want to Preware my machine but when I got my UK O2 phone there wasn't a restore point, so I waited. I'm now going to get 1.3.1 and then jump into the world of Preware. I can't wait to tinker.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC 3200 (bad move) > Treo Pro (not as bad but still WinMo) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    First thing I did when I got my UK pre was to install Preware. Had read the forums in anticipation for weeks before the launch and was excited with the extras it could bring.
    Didnt read heard enough though, as I missed out the fact we would be on 1.1.3 and not have the on screen keyboard patch available, but no worries... it turned out what was available was more than enough!

As for problems? None what so ever. I will be removing my patches and theme, as gets drummed into people who bother to read up on any hacks/mods they apply to their device, and expect no problems again when 1.3.1 is released.

Respect to the guys behind it, and long may it continue!
    Note that there are now great installation instructions for Preware (including screenshots) at:

http://install.preware.org

Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    I was wondering, have you installed Preware on your Palm Pre? If yes, why?

Of course I would love to have some of the apps that are available on homebrew, but I also see that most people with problems have also preware installed...

I am coming from the iPhone world, where jailbreaking although possible, wasn't exactly without problems.

I am not going to install Preware for the moment, as I don't feel there is any need to do so..or am I missing something?
    We are not aware of Preware itself causing any problems on a Pre or Pixi. It works safely on all versions of webOS and all webOS devices.

You should, however, distinguish between Preware itself and the applications, themes and patches it installs.

If you install a patch on the wrong OS version (something that Preware no longer allows you to do) you will have problems. If you do not remove themes and patches before upgrading webOS, you will have problems (we have an Emergency Patch Recovery tool which can fix most of these problems however).

Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    Can I run it without problems on a German Palm Pre without changing the language of the OS?
    Yes. The strings in Preware itself are not localised, but we'd be very happy to work with developers who want to add localisation functionality to Preware.

Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    You know, I honestly don't know to what extent it works with different cultures.

I think it's more 1.3.1 centric though so I'd suggest waiting for that update.
    Preware itself if not centric to any version of webOS. However, various patches have only been ported to some webOS versions. We welcome new ports of existing patches to 1.1.3 for the GSM Pre from any european developers.

As stated by someone else, this is likely a patch which was not compatible with webOS 1.1.3 - Preware no longer allows the installation of such incompatible patches.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 sisters View Post
    I used preware in the past but felt it sloooowed my pre down drastically,at least thats how it felt to me.
    When the Preware application is not open, the Package Manager Service is not doing anything - there are no background tasks in operation.

Again, it's likely that the slow-down you are experiencing is from an application, theme or patch that you have installed with Preware. WebOS Internals does not have the resources to test each and every one of the 1000+ packages available for installation by Preware.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I voted yes, Let me start by saying that preware is great, but on the other hand the features that I originally installed preware for should have been stock on the phone and am disappoint with palm for this. On a good note though once installed I found plenty of other patches that were not needed but have been great in increasing the over all functionality of my phone.

I have said it before palm owes these guys some kickbacks because without preware I think a lot of palm pre owners would have returned their device and went elsewhere!!!!!!!!
  20.    #20  
    I installed Preware and took a look at it. It runs very well, but I used it only to install DrPodder. I browsed the available applications but didn't find anything else that would interest me that much. I also do not want to install any patches, so I uninstalled Preware, disabled Developer Mode and kept DrPodder.
    DrPodder should be available on the App Catalog..Why isn't it?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast