View Poll Results: Have you installed on your Palm Preware?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I am glad I did

159 93.53%
  • No, I don't feel there is any need for it.

11 6.47%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    yes, it is inefficient but at least that way I get the best performance out of my Pre without losing much functionality. I dont need so many programs anyway and I dont see me installing Preware more than once a month or so...
    I like Preware a lot and I will certainly give it another try. I just do not want to have less performance. The difference now without Preware is really big and cannot be ignored. For those of you that complain that after 1.3.1 you cannot open many cards, just uninstall Preware, the package manager and disable Developer Mode.
    Last edited by petvas; 11/25/2009 at 07:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    yes, it is inefficient but at least that way I get the best performance out of my Pre without losing much functionality. I dont need so many programs anyway and I dont see me installing Preware more than once a month or so...
    I like Preware a lot and I will certainly give it another try. I just do not want to have less performance. The difference now without Preware is really big and cannot be ignored. For those of you that complain that afzet 1.3.1 you cannot open many cards, just uninstall Preware, the package manager and disable Developer Mode.
    Ive been using preware on 1.3.1 with fast performance, so not sure what is wrong with your setup (did you have preware on 1.1.3?).

I personally use preware more for the patches, theyre awesome and really add some much needed functionality to the pre, but to each their own i guess.
  3.    #43  
    Yes, I did have Preware on 1.1.3 and it was better performancewise.
    I have been using Preware for the last couple of days and I noticed that the performance of my Pre was degraded. I uninstalled it now and my Pre is faster...Maybe it was a coincidence but for now I am not installing Preware again.
    There is a free Homebrew Battery Test program that I have use all of the time. I have tested routine days with Preware install and without and there is no difference.

Are you using the Battery Tips?

Regardless, you do not need Preware to do Homebrew apps, patches, and tweaks. Just follow these instructions for using WebOS Quick Install from your computer:

Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes with WebOS Quick Install.

As to the 11 programs open at once, I cannot even think why I would do that. If I want to make a call, send an email, text, etc., I just open those apps. Why would I leave them open? The LED flashes, it chirps, and give a notice if anything is coming in.

Before you gave up, did you get Music Player (Remix) loaded? You could still load it with WebOS Quick Install.

Well, we found one of the 8 people in Europe not using Preware. I wonder who the other 7 are?

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/25/2009 at 02:15 PM.
  5.    #45  
    I never said I have up on Preware. I just said that I will be installing it only when I need it and after that I will be uninstalling it. Thanks for the link to the guide.
    I never said I have up on Preware. I just said that I will be installing it only when I need it and after that I will be uninstalling it. Thanks for the link to the guide.
    At least use WebOS Quick Install to install Music Player (Remix).

And you have to try some of the Patches. They are as easy to install as a Homebrew App. Dozens of patches are featured in the articles There's a Patch for That (Part 1), Part 2, and Part 3 plus here is a full list of patches.

I promise they will blow you away. Also check out that link on battery tips.

- Craig
    I have been using Preware for the last couple of days and I noticed that the performance of my Pre was degraded. I uninstalled it now and my Pre is faster...Maybe it was a coincidence but for now I am not installing preware again.
    Preware and the Package Manager Service do nothing in the background.

If you wish to debug why your Pre is slow, run 'top' on the command line and post your /var/log/messages file.

Then we can get facts rather than assumptions

-- Rod
    As soon as we received Patch 1.3.1 I immediately installed Preware and haven't looked back since. Performance is the same (GSM UK) but there is so much more functionality. I have jailbroken my wifes IPhone and this is so stable and easy compared to that.

Currently I have an IPhone and am also trying out the HTC HD2, neither have the same intuitive design of the Pre, the hardware might be better but the actual OS, we all know about the Iphone limitations, the HD2 is very different, still trying to get to grips with it.
    Yes for OTA downloads of apps/themes/patches not available in the palm catalog.

- If you follow the directions the webos internals team posts (thanks by the way) you will not have any problems with the app. Preware works great and is very useful.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123