View Poll Results: Have you installed on your Palm Preware?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I am glad I did

159 93.53%
  • No, I don't feel there is any need for it.

11 6.47%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Preware is SO awesome. My favorites are the 5x4 page patch, the quick launch bar hiding patch, landscape email and pdf patches, and the battery percentage and brightness in menu patches. Preware makes a really good phone great
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    I installed Preware and took a look at it. It runs very well, but I used it only to install DrPodder. I browsed the available applications but didn't find anything else that would interest me that much. I also do not want to install any patches, so I uninstalled Preware, disabled Developer Mode and kept DrPodder.
    DrPodder should be available on the App Catalog..Why isn't it?
    homebrew apps tend to appear in preware first before hitting the app catalogue usually as they are beta. (I think)

but as pointed out, having preware installed or uninstalled makes no difference. All it is is an extra app which can then be used to modify your phone and install new apps. Dont think of it as jailbreaking like you did with the iphone, your not modifying your phone by simply installing preware, nor are you by installing homebrew apps.

Palm actually allow this, they havent modified their OS to stop it like apple do everytime they release a new version for the iphone and the patches on preware are available for palm to include in the webOS should they want to due to the open license
  3.    #23  
    Do I have to keep developer mode enabled as long as I want to run Preware?
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Do I have to keep developer mode enabled as long as I want to run Preware?
    No, you can run preware with it disabled
    Last edited by diggedy; 11/22/2009 at 08:09 AM.
    Why would you not use Preware? In my opinion the ability to add to and modify this device is a must.
    I don't installed preware but not because I don't want, I can't! I tried to install first the Quick Install on my Movistar Pre with 1.1.3 and on my mac but the quick install don't do nothing.
    I described my problem on another post, but nobody replies me...
    This is the another post http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...l-problem.html.

When I have 1.3.1 I'll try another time to install quick install and then preware
    Quote Originally Posted by er0s View Post
    I don't installed preware but not because I don't want, I can't! I tried to install first the Quick Install on my Movistar Pre with 1.1.3 and on my mac but the quick install don't do nothing.
    I described my problem on another post, but nobody replies me...
    This is the another post http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...l-problem.html.

When I have 1.3.1 I'll try another time to install quick install and then preware
    Have you put your phone into developer mode first?
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 sisters View Post
    Have you put your phone into developer mode first?
    Yes 5 sisters I've put it or I think I've done, thanks for your help. Now I'm installing 1.3.1 and tomorrow I'll try to install Preware on my mac and on a PC, if I still have problems I know where to ask

And sorry for being late
    I installed Preware for access to the patches. While I was happy with my Pre, the tweaks just make it a more user friendly. So far I have 17 patches such as landscape email and messaging, V keyboard and SMS tones per contact besides some other minor tweaks. Today I also installed the SmartFlex 500 patch, so far so good.
    I did mine within 2 days of getting it and it's been great since. The upgrade to 1.3.1 hasn't fazed it
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Sorry to ask a question asked a million times before but this seems a good place to ask it...

When it asks me what version of WebOSDoctor to install, it doesn't have O2 in the list, what should I choose?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC 3200 (bad move) > Treo Pro (not as bad but still WinMo) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I chose sprint but im not sure it matters
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooke View Post
    Sorry to ask a question asked a million times before but this seems a good place to ask it...

When it asks me what version of WebOSDoctor to install, it doesn't have O2 in the list, what should I choose?
    Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    ...I am not going to install Preware for the moment, as I don't feel there is any need to do so..or am I missing something?
    Pet,

This is not at all like jailbreaking. Palm knows we are doing Homebrew and patches. They post links on their developer site to PreCentral.

You are missing out on some real fun. The Pre and Pixi can be the phones you want them to be.

I am the writer of the Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes with WebOS Quick Install that was formally released today.

Homebrew Apps and Patches are easy. It's fun.

Right now you have an embarrassingly bad music player. Palm bundled a far better one with the Treo 600 in 2003. Yes the Palm Music Player today sucks that badly.

But if you follow those instructions above the first thing you will get is Music Player (Remix) and suddenly you will have a real music player that is world class for 2009.

And that is just the beginning. There are 300 other Homebrew apps! Did I mention that they are free?

But really the patches are just as good as the apps!

Patches let you add a hundred features in your Palm. The best part is that they are as easy to install as a Homebrew App. Dozens of patches are featured in the articles There's a Patch for That (Part 1), Part 2, and Part 3 plus here is a full list of patches.

You can also follow the Preware Guide to download directly to your Pre or Pixi without using a USB cable.

Life's worst regrets are not because you tried but because you didn't.

Go have fun!

Let us know once you have given it a try.

- Craig
  15.    #35  
    I have been using Preware for the last couple of days and I noticed that the performance of my Pre was degraded. I uninstalled it now and my Pre is faster...Maybe it was a coincidence but for now I am not installing preware again.
    I have been using Preware for the last couple of days and I noticed that the performance of my Pre was degraded. I uninstalled it now and my Pre is faster...Maybe it was a coincidence but for now I am not installing preware again.
    I cant really say how theyre connected tbh, unless package manager service is continually running and hogging resources somehow? Which i doubt.

My pre has only got faster, patches which fix memory leaks, increase memory for programs, speed up opening of programs, and increasing the CPU clock speed (use with caution )

Youre missing out, but thats my opinion, and its your device and your decision
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    I cant really say how theyre connected tbh, unless package manager service is continually running and hogging resources somehow? Which i doubt.

My pre has only got faster, patches which fix memory leaks, increase memory for programs, speed up opening of programs, and increasing the CPU clock speed (use with caution )

Youre missing out, but thats my opinion, and its your device and your decision
    I now have 11 cards open and my Pre is fast and very responsive. Yesterday and with Preware installed I couldnt open more than 4-5 cards and the Pre was slower. How can I stop the Package Manager Service from running all the time?
    I now have 11 cards open and my Pre is fast and very responsive. Yesterday and with Preware installed I couldnt open more than 4-5 cards and the Pre was slower. How can I stop the Package Manager Service from running all the time?
    That was a stab in the dark, im not sure if package manager service is constantly running to my knowledge, but its safe to say most people have had no degradation in performance so yours was probably a one-off issue.

Just monitor the situation over a few days, i doubt youd experience that slowness again.
  19.    #39  
    I think that the best way for me to use Preware is by only installing it when I need to install a homebrew app. After the installation I would completely uninstall it.
    I think that the best way for me to use Preware is by only installing it when I need to install a homebrew app. After the installation I would completely uninstall it.
    Thats completely inefficient

I really doubt preware is causing problems as so many others (like myself) have used it flawlessly, when you see the amount of functionality preware adds you never want to go back!

However if you insist on not using preware, an alternative solution would be to use WebOS Quick install.

Its a program you run on your computer, you probably used it to install preware, and you can install apps this way without using an app ondevice.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast